Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,479
Newest Member: Megaomgchen
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Temps
vsustko
I have a problem… I am more excited about roasting process than drinking the coffee.

Anyhow, a lot has been discussed about Gene's profiles and temps. I just did a roast of Guatemala beans. Followed 300-480-350 temp profile. Below is a chart of what Gene was showing at the other end of drum as it was roasting.

i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r664/VkartV/Coffee/IMG_0978_zpsf98b7432.png

i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r664/VkartV/Coffee/IMG_0976_zps8ac87efc.jpg

John Despres
I understand your problem! Buy more beans, roast 'em and share 'em with friends. Repeat.

How did that batch taste?

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
vsustko
Well, after ripping through SM's 8 pound sample pack and some side to side comparisons, we have developed strong preference for high brightness with floral and fruity accents. More specifically- Kenyan, Ethiopian, and Yemen coffees.

Also, I changed my roast profile on GN and eliminated warm up period. It seems to produce the brightest cup. This is a lot of fun!

i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r664/VkartV/Coffee/IMG_0983_zps9f80c0fa.jpg

i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r664/VkartV/Coffee/IMG_0984_zps13c3ded3.png

trueQness
What does your profile look like to get the florals and brightness with an Ethiopian? Can you post your temperatures and time stages? Also, did what did you preheat the gene to and did you use a drying stage?

I too like the brightness I find in Ethiopians and recently roasted a Sidamo and it came out tasting pretty bitter and no flavor. I think I took it to Full city and too dark, but I still expected a drinkable coffee and it just tastes flat and dull.

Barrie
Vsustko,

One of the problems with the GC is that, while the sort of curve that you show may be an accurate reflection of the exit temperature of the air flow while you are concentrating on keeping exit temperature flat, the beans do not know that and are taking up calories all that time. If you could only display their temperature, there would be an upwards slope all the time, reflecting their rate of temperature rise during that time! The curves are pretty (and when I had a GC I also used Roastmaster to record them) but they do not reflect what one really wants to know?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Jump to Forum: