Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,479
Newest Member: Megaomgchen
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My first roast!
vsustko
Hello everyone,

I am happy to be roasting myself! I did my first roast of Columbian Narino Buesaco last night and was trying to go for a City to City+ roast. It was very difficult to clearly identify the first crack. Partially it was due to screaming smoke detectors…

How did I do? (300F warm up 4 min then up top 480F, FC at 13min reduced temp to 460F, E stop and dumped beans at 17min.

i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r664/VkartV/Coffee/IMG_0963_zps8806426f.jpg

i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r664/VkartV/Coffee/IMG_0968_zpsc8221bde.jpg

JETROASTER
Congratulations! There is no turning back now. Cheers, -Scott

Airhan
Looks like a you're about to have some great coffee ThumbsUp
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark
"Not all who wander are lost."J.R.R. Tolkien

michele
Well done, and oh so much better than I did with my first GC roast. Welcome to a brand new world!

BBQ grill
GC (red one!), Encore Baratza, Aeropress, Melitta dripper, Primula Stovetop, Yama, French press

John Despres
Nice! Congratulations and welcome!

Please keep posting and we love pictures, so keep that up as well.

ThumbsUp

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
vsustko
Tried the coffee at 24 and 36 hours. Wonderful! Unless my brew different, it seemed as coffee got more bold with time.

I cannot say that I can pick up all the flavors in bean description, but it was a cup with lively taste not just bitter and bold roast flavor.

michele
vsustko:

Thank you for posting your tasting experience. Were you able to taste again at day 3, 4, 5? What did you notice?

I am aging, so to speak, consistently now (or try to), as I find interesting and worthwhile flavor changes over time. Even when the flavors start to wane at some point, it sure ain't bad.

Michele
GC (red one!), Encore Baratza, Aeropress, Melitta dripper, Primula Stovetop, Yama, French press

vsustko
I notice that beans that are more bold tend to need less time to rest whole more acidic and fruity beans need at least 3 days. I am doing some testing on how alterations to roast level, grind, brew types and lengths change end result.

Coffee does not last in this household so I cannot speak of it losing flavor over time…

Erst Kaffee
I love Colombian Coffee and I have a Gene Roaster on its merry way to me from Sweet Marias. I Can't wait to try out my first batch.

Your roast is beautiful. I'm glad I upgraded to the Gene Roast. Being able to roast at different temps and for different times is going to make such a difference.

bud
Hi Erst,

I have used a Gene and I enjoyed it very much.

Did you get a sample pack with your Gene? I know Thom used to offer a great deal with beans when buying a roaster.

Enjoy.

Bud

woohoo
"the beer was very cold and wonderful to drink"

brew with old perc

Erst Kaffee

bud wrote:

Hi Erst,

I have used a Gene and I enjoyed it very much.

Did you get a sample pack with your Gene? I know Thom used to offer a great deal with beans when buying a roaster.

Enjoy.

Bud

woohoo

I did order the sample pack. Couldn't resist, and I am really looking forward to trying some new coffees at roast levels I prefer, (medium)

I wonder if my horizons are about to broaden. I've been so one note in my coffee likes until now. I'm happy where I am loving the roasts I like and I could live like this forever. But who knows? With the samples of coffee coming with the Gene Cafe from Sweet Marias, I may venture out into the really exotic (for me that means beyond Columbian medium roast) and like it.
Bialetti Moka Pot, Aeropress, Gene Cafe Roaster, Hario Skerton Grinder as it came, and Kyocera CM-50 with Orphan Espresso bearing upgrade for medium and coarse grind, Orphan Espresso Pharos

vsustko
Word of caution- after you drink fresh coffee for a week you will start dumping out burnt and cardboard tasting Keurig coffees...

Jump to Forum: