Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,139
Newest Member: MonkeyNMiddle
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting Process
soundklink
Need a little clarification on the roasting process.

The more I am reading about it, the more I am getting confused...

What flame to get to FC?
What flame during and after FC?

My usual procedure:
I get to FC in ~9-10 min. then lower flame and continue roasting...
The 1st crack will intensify, peak in ~2 minutes, ~12-13, then starts to drop and I can continue for another 2-5 minutes to SC or finish, before SC...~15min.
I keep a log, my average roasting time is 15-17 minutes.

My roaster is drum, 4"x 8" drum perf. steel with hood, hand crank over gas

Is my roasting OK or are there things to improve? What are the heat adjustments in the cycles?
TIA
Rancilio Silvia-PID, Rossi RR45, manual Drum roaster-gas

Koffee Kosmo
All roasters are different and even perform different within the same models
And it's up to the operator to get the best out of it
On top of that different beans may require different techniques as well as the type of brew you are roasting for

That's why it's called the ART of roasting
An example - Roasting for espresso
As a general rule aim for 9 to 12 min to first crack and plus 4 to 6 min to second crack

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
soundklink
Thanks for reply,...yes

what about the time between 1st and 2nd crack? That part is most intriguing......what's best... same temp, lower lower then raise?...

Apparently, from what I read, the most important process is happening in that part of roast, after 1st and before 2nd?

THANX

John Despres
Hi, soundklink.

Um, first off, what's your name? We like the personal side of things.

If you are able to post temperatures with your times, we may be able to help. Maybe a small list or a chart of times and temps. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Also letting us know what kind of controls you have on your roaster will be a help as well.

Lastly, have FUN!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Koffee Kosmo
soundklink wrote:

Thanks for reply,...yes

what about the time between 1st and 2nd crack? That part is most intriguing......what's best... same temp, lower lower then raise?...

Apparently, from what I read, the most important process is happening in that part of roast, after 1st and before 2nd?

THANX

The time it takes between FC & SC is dependant on the green bean drying process, growing conditions, age of the beans ect ect

You need to experiment with the times for SC to get the flavour that is perfect for you and your taste buds

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
soundklink
@ John Despres, my name is Carl, an american living in South of France
...got into coffee in 80ies, working in Boston's Coffee Connection, and North End...
getting back into roasting, after 8 years of not roasting (and not having good equipment/beans)

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

....That's why it's called the ART of roasting
An example - Roasting for espresso
As a general rule aim for 9 to 12 min to first crack and plus 4 to 6 min to second crack
KK

4-6 minutes to SC? That is slow, I get there too fast... 3 minutes...last time I got craters on a few beans, that is why I replied to my old thread...
I really must slow down the roasting and lower the heat...

The problem is, that I am always afraid, the roast will be too light and acidic and I tend to go a bit too dark...this was a particular roast:

http://coffeetime...g-problems

Pretty much how my roast looked like...Shock

cheers Carl

edit to make link live
Edited by ginny on 03/23/2014 6:44 AM

ginny
Carl:

thanks for joining and for your posts, we can most likely help you out a bit but you must remember to forget being afraid...

you can always roast more coffee...

as to your concern about light roasts, there seems to be a lot of interest in light roasts these days but I really think we home roasters roast for the bean and if you get your green beans from a reliable source they can give you a heads up on the type of roasting a particular bean works well at...

don't be afraid, just roast. when you say light can you give me an example of what light means to you?

as I mentioned there is a lot of discussion about light roasts these days and many beans taste fantastic with a lighter roast and many do not; some say that the best qualities come out of any bean at a lighter roast, that is simply not true in my opinion.

I drink only cafe cremas/espresso and use every bean I buy for that purpose. 90% of the time I get great cafe cremas with roasts at City to Full City plus using the guides from Thom at Sweet Maria's or just trying a certain profile I like for an African or other bean...

all roasting is personal taste.

I looked at your link and the roast does look uneven but that could simply be that bean. I had an experience yesterday with my Hot Top roaster going nuts and spitting out some burnt beans along with the perfect City Roast beans - strange thing happen Carl when we roast.

I see you are in the South of France, Paris is one of my most favorite cities as well as parts of the South of France - you are one lucky guy to be in that part of the world.

ginny

beach

soundklink
Hi Ginny,

thanks for encouragement, coffee beans are so complex, it reminds me of wine, a part of a hill can produce great wine and other side of hill, half a mile away is undrinkable...

By light roast, I meant City Roast, my desire is to achieve a City+ to Full City.

I agree with the lighter roasts on good quality beans, and I am trying to do lighter roasts, (then my usual tendency to go darker), because when I did, the batch was much better and more character/taste.

My wife, friends and I drink espresso only, I never used the steamer, and never milk.

Most of the time I overshoot my roasting, resulting in Full City+ to Vienna...but really before Vienna, when I let beans rest, the oil starts to come out in 3 days...

Last roast was a bit of a disaster with the craters on a few beans, but my roast is very even, nothing like the picture, that was only to demonstrate...
Only a dozen or so had crater marks, out of 275 grams, (no scorching or tipping).

I have to lower the flame as soon as I get into FC...to avoid craters.ThumbsUp

I get green coffee out of UK from Bella Barista, that offers great variety and price, but I cringe when I think about burning or messing up some nice variety of hard to get (in France) beans...I think in future I will try the Green Coffee Buying club in US...
(I practice with Robusta...practice makes perfect as they say..

cheers, Carl
Edited by soundklink on 03/23/2014 10:55 PM

JackH
I have to back off on the heat before 1C or the roast will go too fast on my roaster.

I am finding that monitoring the ET and keeping it at or slightly below 500F keeps things under control on my roaster. If you do not back off soon enough, it is very difficult to control later and it quickly goes to 2C. Of course this will vary with different roaster types.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

soundklink
JackH wrote:

I have to back off on the heat before 1C or the roast will go too fast on my roaster.

I am finding that monitoring the ET and keeping it at or slightly below 500F keeps things under control on my roaster. If you do not back off soon enough, it is very difficult to control later and it quickly goes to 2C. Of course this will vary with different roaster types.

Jack

Thanks Jack, great tip, this is I think exactly what's happening...I will definitely try this my next roast, I have the temps and stove down pretty much and I keep a written roasting log and I know when FC is coming...

thanks, Carl

Lawnmowerman
Carl. Ive been wanting to do lighter roasts also. I will be interested to hear what results you get with different temp/time changes. Please. Thank you.
Ben.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

soundklink
Lawnmowerman wrote:

Carl. Ive been wanting to do lighter roasts also. I will be interested to hear what results you get with different temp/time changes. Please. Thank you.
Ben.

Today I did a very nice roast, that is looks-wise...
300 grams of Malawi Mizuky.
Started gas full speed, to 8 min; then lower 1/3 till 9min, then lowered to 1/2 until [email protected]:15...
When FC started to get lively, I lowered a bit again.
End of roast @16:29. Very uniform roast, somewhere between City+ to Full City
Next time I will go full gas to 9 minutes, then lower 1/2 way
I'll let you know how it tastes in ~4+days...

soundklink
Yesterday I roasted some Brazil Bezerra and lowering the flame from 100% to 40% at 9 min. I got FC @10min, and I lowered the flame to ~30%...

Roasting went into FC, but not very strong, or rapid cracking and maybe not as many cracks as usual?
Is that possible, that all didn't crack?

I suspect that I turn the heat down a bit too much and "baked" some beans?
Second crack started at 15:55min, finished @16:00

In your (drum) roasting experience, how is the FC...lively, fast, slow, etc?
Is it very stable or same all the time?
Beans look good, uniform and no craters.morning

PS this is related to trying a slightly lighter roast

Chrome Dome
Thanks al for this good information I have just started to roast and I have been trying different temperatures, I see now it does not have to stay the same from begging to end.
Is there a good starting temperature I should use? I have tried a range of 475 to 525.
Thanks ,

Kevin

ginny
Kevin:

no one can help unless we know what you roast in...

by 475/525 most of my beans would be burnt up beyond anything I would drink.

what are you using to roast in, what have you tried?

give us a bit of information and we can help you out.

ginny

rockon

Chrome Dome
I am roasting in a 2 lb drum with my rotisserie in my Weber grill. the 475 -525 is the temp on the gauge on the grill.

Jump to Forum: