Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
general comments on Gene Cafe Adventures
Hieronymus Mouse
Hi,

First off, I took a bit of a posting break, but continue with weekly roastings on the GC using much of the GREAT advise I've gotten here. Thanks to all! I've got my notebook well organized for roasting and cupping notes side-by-side, and I'm trying new things by slow degrees.

On the cool down, I've run along two tracks: Allowing the GC to run its cycle (cutting the roast short of finish), and short circuiting the cycle to do manual cool downs. The coffee quality, especially Kenyans, suggests that the former approach works wonderfully. So, I've reverted to mostly running the cool cycle.

On pre-heating at +/- 300F, I've tried with and without. Seems in many cases this is nnnecessary. Winter in NYC has been cold. The GC is by a window with an exhaust fan. So, I'm finding that for most beans now the initial rise in temp is sufficiently slow to prevent -- whateveryoucallit -- uneven roasting within and bean surface.

For awhile, I worried that my roasts were too similar to one another and perhaps too highly roasted. Lately though I taste much more difference, so that's apparently resolved. I suspect that roasting machines stamp a style on coffees. My Kenyans are turning out very citrusy and bright, with a distinct undercurrent of baked bread and sweet dry fruit, while my Sumatrans are earthy sweet.

The big challenge is consistency. Even following the same parameters, roasts can differ, given weather conditions, etc. But, the pleasure is in the differences among the coffees, so I'm enjoying myself with the process.

On balance, the GC is a wonderful machine. I can hear the cracks with no difficulty now. That happened as soon as I went from 100 to 230 grams, for some reason. In general, I'm still feeling my way, gravitating to beans that work well, shying from those that don't.

Enough! Again, thanks. Now to the kitchen for coffee.

Michael

rebos0925
Hello Michael (or is it Harry Bosch given the Hieronymus reference?)

I have a Gene Cafe on the way from Oakland and am trying to get somewhat up to speed before it arrives so I ruin as little of the sample pack Sweet Maria's is sending with it as possible. Reading your past posts and the responses has been very informative. I look forward to reading about your successes and failures (not that I am wishing you any) in the future. Thanks!

Danny

Army Coffee
I loved my GC. for 3 years I got incredible results...then I startted having maintenance issues. I cannot find the support I need to get it back up. Have a Hottop now as well. Night and Day difference in their support and the ease of fixing things.

Would still love to get my GC back up and running. If you know where good support is, please let me know?

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

rebos0925
Have you checked these guys out?

http://www.batchc...asterparts
Edited by JackH on 01/12/2015 1:18 AM

gene
Saw Michael's post this AM and triggered great memories. Still using mine weekly also after all these years.

Its in the 20's out there this AM. When it reaches the 40's, usually in PM in January here I'll go outside and roast up a storm.
Still have the large outer packing box Chris Coffee shipped my espresso machine in. Upper left corner cut out to accommodate a 4" metal exhaust(dryer). I keep my ear there to hear exhaust at proper time. It breathes thru the handholds. I also use one of the handholds to record and check progress of roasts.
This all works flawlessly.

I worry about support also Drew as I'm tiptoeing around with fingers crossed trying to do everything right to protect my last heating element. The reflective fiber material on my backup has deteriorated to the point can't say that it will heat properly next time. This one has element that has been repaired 3-4 times and is original.
Curious to see if Gene Cafe in Korea will answer my request this AM that I sent them re the problem. Stay tuned!

BatchCoffee
Hi All. We at Batch Coffee took over as importers of the Gene Cafe in the last quarter of 2013. We strive to provide top notch customer support on the Gene Cafe - from troubleshooting to replacement parts to DIY repair videos. Thanks for the mention, rebos0925! Drew, if you ever decide to unearth your GC, give us a shout and we'll help you get it back up and running!

rebos0925
Timely response BatchCoffee. I am actually looking for delivery of my Gene Cafe unit today. I have been doing research on profiles and such so I can hit the ground running. I saved a link to your site in my favorites. It looks like it will be a great source of information. If you solicited folks here to provide specific profiles in an area on your site I'm sure you would get a good reaction and it would be of great help to newcomers like me. I haven't quite been able to ferret out a chain of such here yet. I read there was supposed to be something in downloads, but I have yet to find it.

Danny

rebos0925
Just got my Gene Cafe yesterday and ran three batches using some of the 8 lb sample pack that SM sent along free. They fill the 1 lb bags a little to the heavy side, so my batches will start around 230 gr. I was shooting for city+or FC. I spent the last week reading posts here trying to shorten my learning curve. Ran at 482F without a warm up based on following John's falling out of love with a empty warm up. (chime in if I'm wrong about that) I fully intended to reduce the heat after 1C but was so absorbed in observing the process and listening I did not. Here's how they went.

Guatemala Atitlan total 15 min. Stopped roast 2 min after 1C. Let the roaster run through cool down so I guess it coasted a while. Color looked to be City+ and pretty even. 16% weight loss.

Ethiopian Kaffa total 15 min at 482 setting all through as above was. Again stopped at 15 min, 2 min after 1C, but this time I dumped into a mesh strainer as I thought everything was going a little fast. Color looks right. 16.3% weight reduction. Softer bean?

Guatamala again. total 16 min stopped about 3 min after 1C. Let the GC go through cooling. Even color. A little darker than first go around, but pretty sure short of 2C. 16.2% weight loss.

The first two batches I let set for 6 hrs on an open plate then into a mason jar with lid off. Will cap after 24 hr. Last batch still finished. I have a question here. Open air? How long? I did notice what I had read about aroma to be true. The longer they out gassed the better the aroma.

The other observation that comes to mind is letting the GC go through the cool down phase eliminates a lot of the chaff.

Now the hard part. Waiting another day or so to drown these suckers in some hot water!
Edited by JackH on 01/17/2015 9:38 PM

gene
Rebos, great having some fresh Gene Cafe owners. You certainly can't go wrong following John's advice. I have bugged him for years and Eddie Dove before him.

Sounds like Batch Coffee is going to be a breath of fresh air. Certainly appreciate the post a few days ago. We need to bend over backwards to help them. In the long run an open attitude is going to help us all.

Even after 1200 to 1500 roasts I still log every single one. Have had great success with the GC. PM me with an address and I'll send you some profiles'

Here lately Guatemala Gesha, Panama Lerida Honey, Yemen Mocha Harazi, lots of Sweet Maria varieties.

Sidewalk Mystic Dave looked at my 15-16 minute roast profiles last year: "too long to first crack. Your 465 setting is ok but...Warm it, set it on 465 up front and let her rip".

I like the result so much better even tho won some roasting competitions with the slow profiles. Just goes to show you can't just set there, have to be dynamic.

John Despres
Support for the GC is pretty much gone. As I understand it, Tim (former GC support and repair guy) could no longer get the support he needed from the company in Korea and has been more or less forced to close things down.

There's a opportunity here for someone if they want to take on a challenge...

I now roast with a Quest M3.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

gene
Had an interesting reply from Gene Cafe few days ago re heating element fiber board:

Dear Gene,

Thanks a lot of your great compliments sincerely.

In this case I wish you to change the heater assembly with heater box all together.
As well you better change the heating fan.

Recommend roasting with CBR 101 :
- Please do not preheat the roaster without coffee beans.
- As attached manual you can periodical maintenance.

I think that you are one of the great CBR 101 users over the world.
Which country do you stay now ? And Where did you buy it from ?(120V or 220V or 230V)

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need others.

B. regards,

Brian (G.M)
Genecafe Logo(JPG)
www.genecafe.com
Innovative Coffee Roaster

Of course have no intentions of changing the "heater box altogether". It can be repaired with new reflective fiberboard.

And will continue to preheat as I have done all these years.

But it is gratifying that Gene Cafe answered me back.

I continue to look at Quest and Huky but darn this GC is hard to give up. Original investment of $180 from Ebay. As I recall it had a few minor flaws not GC's fault and Ebay made them good after pics. Like a new exhaust because the old one had a crack, etc.
Tim even gave me a new heater.

Yes, I'm loyal, how could I not be after such royal treatment!

And best of all I'll never forget John and his role in giving of himself at every tiny niggle of a problem in the process of becoming one with the machine. Thanks John Despres!

RandyH
John Despres wrote:

Support for the GC is pretty much gone. As I understand it, Tim (former GC support and repair guy) could no longer get the support he needed from the company in Korea and has been more or less forced to close things down.

There's a opportunity here for someone if they want to take on a challenge...

I now roast with a Quest M3.

JD

See quote from Batch Coffee below concerning Gene Cafe roasters...

RandyH

"Hi All. We at Batch Coffee took over as importers of the Gene Cafe in the last quarter of 2013. We strive to provide top notch customer support on the Gene Cafe - from troubleshooting to replacement parts to DIY repair videos. Thanks for the mention, rebos0925! Drew, if you ever decide to unearth your GC, give us a shout and we'll help you get it back up and running!"

John Despres
Randy H hits it out of the park!

Thanks, Randy.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
T42
Received a GC for Christmas, done a couple of roasts by the book with good results in Aeropress & Bialetti Brikka, although obviously not yet tested for espresso. Well content after the hazy crazy days of popping, particularly since my popper melted at 460°F a couple of weeks back.

Only 1½ gripes:

1. Has anyone translated the English operating instructions into English?
½ Has anyone got fingers thin enough to fit under the drum handle while wearing an oven glove? My hands aren't large but I can just manage to get two fingers in if I push hard; but the oven glove is so thin that I wouldn't dare interrupt cooling and grab it at 460°F.

JohnE

CharcoalRoaster
I'll second the recommendation for Randy and Batch Coffee. I have replaced a heating element and a couple sprockets to keep my machine running well. Very courteous, helpful, and have the right parts for maintaining your GC.

cool

Tony_C
Gotta give a thumbs up to Batch as well!

Jump to Forum: