You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,635
Newest Member: RLBrooks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Next Logical Upgrade from Gene Cafe?
smatty1
I have been roasting with the GC for about 5 yrs or so and still love it, but am getting curious about a hottop or a quest. Those seem like the next step for me so I was looking for opinions. And if I'm gonna shell out that much cheese for a hottop, does it make sense to go ahead and get the quest?
I lean towards exotic and sweet and fruity coffees if that factors in....

www.shop.com/johnbytell
boar_d_laze
Both the Quest and HotTop are good roasters. Each has its strengths, relative to the other.

It's tempting to say that the Quest offers more control, but there are so many tricks you can use to bring the HT up to the Quest's level. The Quest is more of a batch roaster than the HT, but the HT cools better -- and there's a lot you can do to shorten the time between successive roasts.

When push comes to shove, they're adequately powered electric roasters, with adequate airflow and 250g nominal capacities. Compared to big-deal professional quality roasters they share a similar lack of agility and require the user to act more proactively than (s)he otherwise might. That's not to say they're terribly limited; they aren't.

There isn't much in the way of drum roaster profiling you couldn't do with either, as long as you stay ahead of the roast instead of reacting to it.

The gas-fired Huky is in roughly the same price range as the Quest, has a higher capacity; but while it's nicely finished, it's considerably more kludged than either the HT or the Quest.

I used an HT for a couple of years before jumping well out of the price class for more production capacity and agility. It's been quite a while since roasting with it, but enjoyed using it so much I can't bring myself to move it on.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the Quest... but tough call.

Good luck,
BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

smatty1
Also I am ok with half lb roasts but I do like to roast 3 back to back ......

www.shop.com/johnbytell
Jump to Forum: