Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,246
Newest Member: cabbar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Glass and metal heat compatibility
carelgrundlingh
First off....HAPPY NEW YEAR greenman

I will be using stainless steel and glass for my RC. My glass cylinder fits inside my stainless steel base (cocktail shaker) and top (stainless steel cup).

How tight can the fit be without worrying about heat expansion? Does glass expand at a slower rate than stainless steel, and will the glass not be compromised (read: shattered) when the stainless steel shrink back when cooling down to room temperature, if the glass fitted snugly at the start?

Thanks for helping out!

alexcampbell
It depends what type of glass you are using. The proper glass (borosilicate, or pyrex) has a very low expansion, which is why you can use it at high temps. You would not need to worry about when it cools, as long as it fits cold. You need to worry about when the metal expands as it gets hot. I doubt that the stainless shaker would expand enough to break your glass, even if it was snug.

Jump to Forum: