Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What happened?!
CharcoalRoaster
Super weird roasting morning...

I pulled out some Tanzania Burka Estate to roast since I'm fresh out of fresh beans and pop them in my GeneCafe. Run the cycle to about FC+, pull out the delightful beans, cool them and store them for degassing.

I decide since the roaster is out already to roast a batch of SM El Competidor Espresso blend. I only put in about 150g or so and the roast turned into a bake with first crack not even reached after a 20min cycle. I assumed the batch size was too small for the GC so I dumped the beans and added the rest of my El Competidor (130g) and some Brazil Carmo de Minas (75g) to make a more full load size.

I'm watching my roast stall out again... about 14 min to yellow and now almost 25min in not even the hint of a first crack.

What happened?!

Same roaster, same circuit, same process and a recently replaced heating coil to boot.

CharcoalRoaster
Forgot to include:

- roasting inside
- temp control reads full blast (482*ish) during roast
- I can feel hot air exiting the machine

Merry Christmas everyone christmas tree

ginny
sounds like your heating coil is bad again...

CharcoalRoaster
I sure hope not that thing has less than 30 roasts on it :-(:thumbdown

Something else to add - when I roast inside I have to have our stove fan on full blast or the smoke alarms go off, and for some reason toddlers don't like that :-). Anyway, when I finally pulled the roast to scrap another 1/2lb of beans I heard a "whirring sound" as if the fan, or rotating mechanism was still going. The drum did not rotate once I "E" stopped the machine but the noise continued until I powered down the unit.

CharcoalRoaster
Super weird. I decided to give the ole' GC another go before trying to fix it again. I tossed in about 250g of a maui estate I had laying around and gave it a rip.

After an 18min cycle straight through I was delivered a wonderfully looking FC+ roast.

...no issues...

weird - must've been a circuit issue not getting enough power or something on the last try....

oh well - I'm happy that I've got some homeroast in the hopper again party

JackH
Maybe you are using an outlet that has another appliance on the same circuit like the refrigerator?

Jump to Forum: