Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wagner HT1000 & KitchenAid
Loucks
I've had good results recently using my Wagner HT1000 heat gun and KitchenAid stand mixer. Yesterday I realized that there's no need to hold the gun because the mixer comes with a perfect mount: Unscrew the power hub cover retaining screw and remove the power hub cover. Then hook the wire loop on the top of the gun onto the screw and tighten it. Make sure that the plastic lip of the gun rests fully on the lip of the bowl and that the wire loop really is secure. Then turn everything on and find something else to do in the area while it runs. Like so:

i.imgur.com/HL4Si0Lm.jpg

i.imgur.com/8fTRVMim.jpg

I loaded 24oz of Guatemala Huehuetenango - Finca Rosma from Sweet Maria's and did some dishes while the thing ran for about 25 minutes.

i.imgur.com/v9bnwrMm.jpg
(City roast. It's darker in real life. I had terrible lighting.)

Obviously you have to keep an eye on this while it runs, but I didn't have to make any adjustments. The screw didn't try to back out at all, and the gun stayed solidly planted on the bowl. Note that the power hub port is left exposed, but it wasn't too difficult to overcome the urge to stick my finger in there while the machine was running.

Airhan
That's a awesome set up! What do you do about the smoke and chaff in your kitchen?
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark
"Not all who wander are lost."J.R.R. Tolkien

jkoll42
Ok, so that's a very interesting idea. First - just a recommendation. You have to get that roast time down for what is essentially a HG/BM setup. I guess this would be a HG/KA! 12-13 minutes is really what you need to shoot for. Try reducing bean load and if necessary use a cover - maybe a foil pie plate to keep with the kitchen theme. No biggie.

The roast seems to be pretty even so it seems like the agitation is good. I have one concern and I truly don't know if it is justified. On a typical HG/BM setup all the bearings/moving parts are at the bottom partially sheltered from the heat by a bed of beans/roasting vessel. I wonder how long the components of the KA will last with it all being directly above the heat? I would imagine the components inside the metal shroud would be safe enough, but I am thinking of the bearings in the section the attachments go into.

Thoughts?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Loucks
Airhan wrote:

That's a awesome set up! What do you do about the smoke and chaff in your kitchen?

I crack the window over the sink and roast when my wife isn't around. I like the smell of roasting coffee, and it's gone pretty quickly.

jkoll42 wrote:

Ok, so that's a very interesting idea. First - just a recommendation. You have to get that roast time down for what is essentially a HG/BM setup. I guess this would be a HG/KA! 12-13 minutes is really what you need to shoot for. Try reducing bean load and if necessary use a cover - maybe a foil pie plate to keep with the kitchen theme. No biggie.

The roast seems to be pretty even so it seems like the agitation is good. I have one concern and I truly don't know if it is justified. On a typical HG/BM setup all the bearings/moving parts are at the bottom partially sheltered from the heat by a bed of beans/roasting vessel. I wonder how long the components of the KA will last with it all being directly above the heat? I would imagine the components inside the metal shroud would be safe enough, but I am thinking of the bearings in the section the attachments go into.

Thoughts?

You are correct in thinking that I'm roasting too much at once. I can get a pound of the same beans to City/City+ in 15 minutes. This was more an experiment to see whether the setup could handle larger loads. A pie tin with cutouts is a good idea though. I had also considered insulating the bowl somehow. I'm not too worried about the mixer. All the electronics are at the rear, and if the mixing head goes I can replace it myself. I have a scan of the service manual and it's all pretty straightforward. I'm still experimenting with this setup, so on the off chance I do somehow completely destroy the KitchenAid I'll just buy a new one and try something different. If that happens you can bet I'll post a follow-up.

jkoll42
Good, I'm glad it's no biggie if the KA is sacrificed to the roasting gods. I wanted to be sure it wasn't going to lead to death by spouse.

It would be interesting to see what batch size you can get with a cover. Like I said it seems (although it's always tough to gauge in pics) that the 24oz was fine as far as roast evenness.

The thing I'm really interested in is if you could get 2# roasting with a double heat gun setup. Not sure if you would need a 6qt mixer. If that was possible it would open up roasting over a pound to a lot of people who lack lots of DIY abilities.

Definitely keep us updated with the progress
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
I just pulled out our KA to see what options there may be for an articulating cover. If you made the primary cover with a hole in the center the diameter of the main hub (around 3") and made a secondary plate to fit around the paddle shaft and attach to the underside of the oval piece the shaft protrudes from, you would have good heat isolation between bowl and gearbox. You would most likely need to use a silicone adhesive to handle the heat. The secondary plate would rotate with the hub.

This would most likely keep the transmission grease from getting hot enough to thin out and leak.

I hope everyone is aware of the potential for brawls in the kitchen this could pose. Shock

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
Now lets see some bean movement videos of standard mixing paddle vs wire whisk!
-Jon

Jump to Forum: