bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6593
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The ROK
ginny
http://www.rokkit...tools.com/

Has anyone tried this interesting espresso machine?

ginny

coffee drink

LongLeafSoaps
I know this is an old post ginny, but yes, I really like mine! It is all about the grind though, with any espresso machine I suppose....

ETA: and no electricity! Oh well, I guess you gotta use something to heat the water up!
Carpe Diem With Coffee

ginny
old makes no difference here Linnea.

I am still thinking about getting one. I like it and simply knew no one who had the unit.

Is there anything really negative about the ROK? I was concerned about getting real espresso via this ROK thing!!

ginny

still wishing beach

LongLeafSoaps
ginny wrote:

old makes no difference here Linnea.

I am still thinking about getting one. I like it and simply knew no one who had the unit.

Is there anything really negative about the ROK? I was concerned about getting real espresso via this ROK thing!!

ginny

still wishing beach

I would hate to steel you wrong with my opinion of good espresso, but I find it to be delicious!

My negatives are, you have the warm the unit in the sink with hot water running over it, may not be such an issue for you, just sit it outside on your deck, lol!

The second beef, is the silicone screen for the water to run thru, is gummy, I don't like washing my coffee equipment too often with soap, but even after a good scrub this thin feels sticky/gummy. I really hope that it isn't the silicone breaking down from the oils? Maybe I overfill my porta and it shouldn't come in contact with the coffee? You can get good pressure with an espresso grind, which I know you would have no trouble with ;)

I got mine as a serious deal of $99...it was a display model, and looked brand new (because really, it was!) and the only thing missing was the scoop/tamper..not a deal breaker for me, at least it wasn't the knob that turns it on & off, lol Roflmao

Oh, and it looks really space age machiny cool sitting on the counter! Get one as a tribute to David Bowie and call it your "moon age day dream" espresso maker Grin
Carpe Diem With Coffee

mountainhick
I use a ROK and LOVE IT!

I had an isomac machine that made great shots, but bought the ROK to take on the road van camping. There was a serious learning curve, but once I understood all the variables and practiced, I started pulling better shots than the mac. I sold the mac.

Variables:
-preheating ( I run brew temp water 2-3 times through depending on ambient air temp. also preheat shot glass and cup
-dose (I use 18g),
-using a good burr grinder
-correct grind and tamp to get the right backpressure which creates the conditions to push the water through at the right rate
-correct time and pressure variation pushing water through 25-32 seconds total time, a bit more time lingering at start before pushing harder to develop crema
-correct amount end volume: for full strength espresso finish at 2oz. It is just fine extracing 3oz for a little longer cup, but loses some flavor intensity.

renatoa
Check also Cafflano Kompresso, it "roks", pun intended :) anything that exists in the mobile espresso market.

mountainhick
Interesting device. Sticking with my ROK though thanks!

scienmy
Looks interesting and totally different from my coffee machine. Does it need electricity?

mountainhick
No electricity. You need to heat water and grind beans. I do this at home with electric kettle and grinder, but on the road with a gas stove and hand grinder.

Jump to Forum: