Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,202
Newest Member: Brad1969
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Control Heat Gun via PWM
fg1972
Hi all,
I'm currently roasting in a behmor and about to put together a bread maker/heat gun combination for something different and possibly to be able to do larger batches.
I've assembled an Arduino TC4 and had a play with Artisan and RoastLogger software.
I am thinking about controlling the heat gun's output via PWM from the TC4.
Does anyone have any experience driving a heat gun via PWM signal?
Is it best to split the fan/element circuit and vary the element only?

allenb
Howdy fg and welcome to HRO. I see you reside in the land where the Corretto was born.

If by PWM you're referring to the on-off proportional duty cycle many of us use to control an SSR from OT1 pin then it will work fine for driving an SSR connected to the heating element of your heat gun. I wouldn't use the higher frequency pwm used for driving fans for this purpose. You can set the heater output (OT1) to a 1 second time base which provides a very smooth output from the heater without sagging during on/off pulses.

Yes, do separate the fan from the heating element but be aware that many heat gun designs use some of the heating coils as a dropping resistor to derive a lower voltage that then feeds a bridge rectifier for providing DC to the fan motor which can complicate the separation procedure.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

fg1972
Thank you Allen,
I'll have a bit of a play with the TC4's outputs by configuring it to drive an LED as a test.
As for separating the heat gun's element and fan, would I be correct to presume the fan should be configured to be on constantly and only the vary element's output?

Fiorello

allenb
Yes, the fan should remain on and vary the power to the heating element.
I'm assuming your heat gun has a dc fan motor as you would find in a blow dryer? If yes, then its important to measure the voltage going to the motor (before the rectifier) prior to pulling everything apart so you can run the fan at the same speed after separating them. Obviously you'll need a means of providing the lower ac voltage to the rectifier input.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

fg1972
Perfect,
Thanks again Allen.

Jump to Forum: