Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
kevintran

Total Members: 6,479
Newest Member: Sherok50
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rubber bumper broke again
themikeinbaltimore
Hi All,
I just replaced my rubber bumper this month with the oem one from that canadian coffee shop and it lasted maybe 6 roasts before it split clean in half today.

I am so frustrated with this roaster I think I'm ready to dump it, but maybe I'm being hasty.

Does anyone have trouble with the rubber bumpers?

Thanks,
Mike

ciel-007
Have you considered making your own replacement bumper out of hi-temp silicone?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

John Despres
I roasted well over 500 pounds in mine and replaced the bumper once. What Canadian coffee shop are you buying them from? Why not from a Gene Cafe dealer?

Dunno what else to tell you. If the bumper is your biggest issue, PM me your address and I'll send you some.

JD
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
themikeinbaltimore
There was a thread on here where I asked for suggestions and was led to the canadian store that had OEM replacement bumpers.

John I'm interested.

Ciel I like your idea. Did you do that, and where did you find high heat silicone?

Thanks all

themikeinbaltimore
greenbeanery was the store... I emailed them asking for suggestions.

ciel-007

themikeinbaltimore wrote:

Ciel I like your idea. Did you do that, and where did you find high heat silicone?

High temperature Silicone (also called RTV) is commonly available in hardware stores. My GC came with two bumpers, and I'm down to my last one. When that one disintegrates ( and it will), I will simply make a new bumper with RTV.

Here is a link showing how I used RTV to mod another roaster. The post may be helpful because it talks about the releasing agent I used, as well as a technique to accelerate curing.

Good luck! Ciel

http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/vie...post_37911
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

whatabout
My Gene used to eat bumpers ! But I run the GC empty allot to warm and test. They would break in half every 3 roasts. So I ordered 6.

I smoothed the edges of the bumper holder and the grates it scrapes the chaff off of with fine emery cloth.

Still run it empty allot and only blew 1 bumper it the last dozen roasts.

Was it the smoothing or just break in (40 roasts !) or bad batches of bumpers?

erik82
The problem is the bumper holder which has a sharp edge. I had the same problem and they replaced the whole middle section of the drum. Before that one rubber bumper every 6 roasts and after that still my first bumper in over 75 roasts. More GC owners have/had this problem.
Olympia Cremina 2013, HG one 83mm #0083, Gene Cafe.
Also Zassenhaus grinder, Chemex, Abid Clever Dripper, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, Hario Buono, Bodum Cafetiere and Bialetti Mokapot

Army Coffee
So who is the authorized Parts Dealer now?

Bumpers...also looking at storing a few extra parts: Temp Probes, and Heating Element as I am almost 2-years into my Gene Café.

Don't want to be left without the ability to Roast and I don't want to go back to Popcorn Popper Roasting!

Point of Contact, Email, Web Site...anything to get in touch???
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

themikeinbaltimore

erik82 wrote:

The problem is the bumper holder which has a sharp edge. I had the same problem and they replaced the whole middle section of the drum. Before that one rubber bumper every 6 roasts and after that still my first bumper in over 75 roasts. More GC owners have/had this problem.

Thanks Erik. I created a silicon bumper this week and will keep this in mind if I have more trouble.

I sent GreenBeanery an email two or three weeks ago, and they never replied.

ciel-007

themikeinbaltimore wrote:

... I created a silicon bumper this week...

Mike, I would invite you to post a photo of your creation. This has been a recurring issue for many GC owners, and your silicone fix might prove to be a more permanent, and more economical, solution.
ciel

PS - Perhaps you might even consider starting a "GC Mod" thread, where you might post this particular mod among others to come.
Edited by ciel-007 on 11/09/2013 12:31 PM

themikeinbaltimore
Not much to take a picture of, I took the two halfs of rubber bumper, and put a dab of that high temp silicone inbetween them and let it sit for a day or two, then stuffed it into place. It's been working for only a couple of roasts though, since I've had thermostat problems, but it seems to be working fine. Thanks!

shsesc
I may be in the market for a used GC, if the bumper is the only problem with it.

wlstaples
I recently bought a second GC for a new residence. I went through two sets of bumpers in less than ten roasts. My original GC has had over 200 roasts and I am on my third set on that machine also. Sweet Maria's sent me over to Derek Anderson at Batch Coffee who was willing to send me more bumpers. He asked about my usage, assuming something was amiss. I roast the same in both machines, ie always 1/2 lb and dump after emergency stop (but immediately replace cylinder to continue cooling cycle). I think Derek is trying to better understand GC issues and will be a strong advocate.

Jump to Forum: