Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,205
Newest Member: komodo
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A review of my coffee
snwcmpr
A local shop did a review of my coffee.
I dropped off 45 grams after a few days rest, and asked what he thought. Mind you, I am not very good, so I am very impressed.
I need to give a lot of credit to Allen for the fine roaster I use now.

Ken in NC

http://wakinglifeespresso.tumblr.com/post/62909729597/queen-city-harrar
Queen City Harrar

Farm: Queen City Harrar
Process: Natural / Sun-dried
Variety: Heirloom Varieties
Roaster: Ken Mapes, 9.19.13
http://www.happymugcoffee.com/en/african/164-ethiopia-harrar-queen-city.html
Brew: v60-02, 20g, 340g, 10.2.13

Ken’s a home roaster who comes in and talks shop from time to time. This coffee starts out with a lot of chocolate tones, not milk but not 85% cacao either. Full, enveloping mouthfeel, with a hint of dryness, by which I mean a slight astrigency that sucks the moisture off the sides of the tongue. A pinch (but only a pinch) of roast and baked flavor, which is impressive considering the limitations of home roasting. Notes of ripe berries and yogurt make up the bulk of the flavor, with a hint of pleasing leather or tobacco. This coffee doesn’t linger in the mouth except for a hint of ferment and caramel.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
Ken:

Congratulations on the wonderful review. I would have loved that cup.

Nice to see our members get rave reviews...

ginny

party

ciel-007
snwcmpr wrote:

A local shop did a review of my coffee. I dropped off 45 grams after a few days rest, and asked what he thought:

" ... Ken’s a home roaster who comes in and talks shop from time to time. This coffee... is impressive considering the limitations of home roasting..."

Ken, I wish to congratulate you for the success your have achieved with your home roasts. Well done! Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

allenb
Congrats Ken! Since cupping the coffee's you sent me a few months ago I'm not surprised in the least that your roasts are reviewing well.

I think the reviewer at wakinglifeespresso is very much behind the times with his statement "which is impressive considering the limitations of home roasting'

This kind of comment would have had merit many years ago when controls for our homeroasters hadn't been thought of yet. If anything, when it comes to finessing a roast and coaxing the best out of a given coffee, the larger roaster has a handicap compared to the homeroaster.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

snwcmpr
Wow! Thank you all for the nice words.
Anything I know .... I learned here.
Allen gave me a really detailed tip sheet for the roaster he built.
High heat till 220° F BT. That's about 1:30 or a little later.
Drop heat to achieve 300° F at about 4:30.
Adjust heat to achieve FC at 8:30.
Adjust RoR to 20 @ FC.
After that it depends on how I want to take it.
All that time I am adjusting the fan to keep a roll about 1.5-2 inches above the height of the bean mass.
The only alteration I did from the tip sheet was to have RoR at 20 @ FC.
I haven't done enough to find times not to do that, so until then, that is what I have been doing. My resident taster, my wife, has noted and mentioned the improved flavor with this roaster. She says thank you to you all also.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JETROASTER
Congratulations! I tend to agree with Allen. The notion that homeroasters have "limitations" is...well...false.

The "notes of ripe berries" sounds delish. In fact, I'm going to have a cup of Yirgacheffe right now! Cheers, -Scott

Jump to Forum: