Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OnlineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

peveleth
· 06/05/2020 3:10 PM
For Gene Cafe Roasters I have an older Gene Cafe Roaster. Temp fluctuates probably showing age. Question: For recent owners of the newer Gene Cafe Roaster, your opinions?

her63
· 06/02/2020 9:10 AM
keep healthy bro, love roaster form home

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
JackH

Total Members: 6,595
Newest Member: peveleth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A review of my coffee
snwcmpr
A local shop did a review of my coffee.
I dropped off 45 grams after a few days rest, and asked what he thought. Mind you, I am not very good, so I am very impressed.
I need to give a lot of credit to Allen for the fine roaster I use now.

Ken in NC

http://wakinglifeespresso.tumblr.com/post/62909729597/queen-city-harrar
Queen City Harrar

Farm: Queen City Harrar
Process: Natural / Sun-dried
Variety: Heirloom Varieties
Roaster: Ken Mapes, 9.19.13
http://www.happymugcoffee.com/en/african/164-ethiopia-harrar-queen-city.html
Brew: v60-02, 20g, 340g, 10.2.13

Ken’s a home roaster who comes in and talks shop from time to time. This coffee starts out with a lot of chocolate tones, not milk but not 85% cacao either. Full, enveloping mouthfeel, with a hint of dryness, by which I mean a slight astrigency that sucks the moisture off the sides of the tongue. A pinch (but only a pinch) of roast and baked flavor, which is impressive considering the limitations of home roasting. Notes of ripe berries and yogurt make up the bulk of the flavor, with a hint of pleasing leather or tobacco. This coffee doesn’t linger in the mouth except for a hint of ferment and caramel.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
Ken:

Congratulations on the wonderful review. I would have loved that cup.

Nice to see our members get rave reviews...

ginny

party

ciel-007

snwcmpr wrote:

A local shop did a review of my coffee. I dropped off 45 grams after a few days rest, and asked what he thought:

" ... Ken’s a home roaster who comes in and talks shop from time to time. This coffee... is impressive considering the limitations of home roasting..."

Ken, I wish to congratulate you for the success your have achieved with your home roasts. Well done! Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

allenb
Congrats Ken! Since cupping the coffee's you sent me a few months ago I'm not surprised in the least that your roasts are reviewing well.

I think the reviewer at wakinglifeespresso is very much behind the times with his statement "which is impressive considering the limitations of home roasting'

This kind of comment would have had merit many years ago when controls for our homeroasters hadn't been thought of yet. If anything, when it comes to finessing a roast and coaxing the best out of a given coffee, the larger roaster has a handicap compared to the homeroaster.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

snwcmpr
Wow! Thank you all for the nice words.
Anything I know .... I learned here.
Allen gave me a really detailed tip sheet for the roaster he built.
High heat till 220° F BT. That's about 1:30 or a little later.
Drop heat to achieve 300° F at about 4:30.
Adjust heat to achieve FC at 8:30.
Adjust RoR to 20 @ FC.
After that it depends on how I want to take it.
All that time I am adjusting the fan to keep a roll about 1.5-2 inches above the height of the bean mass.
The only alteration I did from the tip sheet was to have RoR at 20 @ FC.
I haven't done enough to find times not to do that, so until then, that is what I have been doing. My resident taster, my wife, has noted and mentioned the improved flavor with this roaster. She says thank you to you all also.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JETROASTER
Congratulations! I tend to agree with Allen. The notion that homeroasters have "limitations" is...well...false.

The "notes of ripe berries" sounds delish. In fact, I'm going to have a cup of Yirgacheffe right now! Cheers, -Scott

Jump to Forum: