Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/16/2019 3:04 PM
I did not get the usual email notice of a PM in my inbox.

snwcmpr
08/07/2019 3:29 PM
roar

snwcmpr
08/07/2019 3:28 PM
Thank you for all you do. :)

NetriX
08/07/2019 1:13 PM
Donation added rockon

snwcmpr
08/06/2019 8:49 AM
Coffeecooker seems to have joined long enough to post in the chat area. --Stayed a whole 7 minutes--

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,088
Newest Member: BrewBoy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Raspberry Pi w/ Roasting?
RevRoaster
I bought a Raspberry Pi to explore the potential of using it to log my roasts, but wondering if anyone else has already tried this. What worked? What didn't? Suggestions in going about it?

I'm roasting with a behmor 1600 and am trying figure out how the best way to log temps, etc without doing anything to void my warranty. Thanks!

JackH
I have tried this and it works with the RoastLogger software and the TC4. Java (JRE 1.8) must be installed and a RXTX driver also for the USB port. It runs from the command line.

The standard Raspberry PI "wheezy" version of LInux was used. It does run and will log a roast and keep up, but probably not do much more without bogging down. I have not tried to add roast control to see.

I was looking into changing the memory allocation to give the application more and the graphics less to try.

I have some photos of the setup if you are interested. It has a 7" display and a mini keyboard/mouse pad with it. My plan was to have a small embedded system that just logs roasts.

Jack
Edited by JackH on 10/07/2013 6:28 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

RevRoaster
Thanks Jack! Photos would be stellar! I've thought about dedicating this just logging roasts, but there's so much you can do with a Pi...

I've been using the Roastmaster App on my iPad too.

JackH
Here are some photos of the setup. You can see the mini keyboard and the small monitor. I did log a roast and it will keep up nicely. Not bad for a $35 computer board.

It is connected to the TC4 board here but I had no thermocouples connected for the photo. You need the ARM version of Java JDK 1.8 and librxtx-java installed too.

It is running the Linux version of RoastLogger.

Jack
JackH attached the following images:
pi_screen_ii.jpg pi_screen.jpg pi_system.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

l8nightcaffeine
Hey, Ive been looking into the same thing. but without TC4/arduino

I want to attempt to keep it as close to the TC4 as possible, and was looking at using MCP3424 + MCP9800 chips.
However I cannot figure out which would be better:

voltage divider:

http://www.abelec...-converter

or no voltage divider:
http://www.abelec...-converter

maybe someone that helps design the TC4 board can help?

JackH
The voltage divider version is not needed for thermocouple inputs. It is to allow input signals levels from 0V to 5V.

Your second link (no voltage divider) would be better for thermocouple inputs.

Please let us know how this works for you. It looks like an interesting board for the Pi.

Jack

Jump to Forum: