Josh Woodrow - 10.00
John Wattleworth - 20.00

View Thread

Homeroasters.org » ALL ABOUT ROASTERS » Quest M3 Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Comparing the Quest M3, Hottop, and Gene Cafe Roasters
calneto
They're out of stock at coffeeshrub.com.
If you are brave enough, you can buy directly from Taiwan. I have considered it, since coffeeshrub does not ship to Brazil. It is a bit cheaper (around 100 usd), but you have to pay full in advance and also wait longer for shipment. You can contact them through alibaba:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QUEST-M3-COFFEE-ROASTER_104398693.html
José @ Rio, Brazil
Air Popper (with dimmer) and Drum Roaster (1150 W adapted Air Fry)

ginny
I am not sure where anyone will ship you anything unless you pay up front.

they have a good reputation.

you can look for a second hand unit.

I did not know where you were when I posted. would be helpful if you said.

ginny

beach

calneto
Hi Ginny,
I had originally thought that my location would show automatically. I had added it manually. The thing about paying upfront in this case is that they do not have paypal or even accept credit card. They want a wire transfer, which adds considerably to the total cost. At least in Brazil, where basically everything costs 2 to 3 times as much as in the US.
Anyways, now I have bought this adpated air fry and will try to squeeze out some results out of it. When it dies down, I might consider upgrading.

As for used ones, no can do. Not only must we pay 60% import tax (also on the shipping amount!), it is forbidden to import used goods in Brazil.
José @ Rio, Brazil

snwcmpr
I have an idea ...
Contact them in Taiwan and ask if they have (or will soon) shipped to anyone in Brazil. Maybe you can then find someone selling it in Brazil.

Good luck,
Ken in NC
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

calneto
As I mentioned, I have bought another drum roast and for the time being will keep it. The Taiwanese ship to Brazil, but the only reasonable way of buying these things in Brazil is going to the country and bringing it with you. In the case of a 1300 roaster, with shipping around say 200 usd, I'd pay in taxes alone 900 and maybe also additional 300 in our VAT tax (sometimes they charge you, sometimes not). I would also have to pay around 70 usd to have the privilege of being able to pay these taxes (yes, believe it or not, I'd have to register with the post office to do it). That basically doubles the cost.
If I bring it with me, not only there is no shipping, but I "only" pay 50% of the part that exceeds 500 usd. In the example, 400 usd. In the end, I'd save at least 570 usd (if they don't decided to charge me the extra 200).
That, of course, besides having to wait around 2 months at least in order to be able to pay all this money (the usual time it takes for customs to clear the goods).

That is life in the third world.
José @ Rio, Brazil

snwcmpr
I think my idea got lost in translation.
I meant that a Quest may already be in Brazil at a company that is selling them.
Ask the company in Taiwan if they have (or had) an order to ship a Quest to Brazil.
I was thinking of that as a way to save all the added expense of ordering one yourself.

Ken in NC
Backwoods Roaster

calneto
I am pretty sure there is no company selling the Quest. When we do have importers selling such machines, it is still much cheaper to import yourself. Importers also must pay the same 60% tax on cost+shipping and in addition must pay an extra fee in order to get some technical approval from the government. Let me give you an example, I know someone who sells Crossland CC1 espresso machines. They go for around 2,400 usd here, while in Seattle Coffe Gear, they sell for 700 usd. The one sold here comes with a naked portafilter, but costs around 100 usd.
José @ Rio, Brazil

snwcmpr
Ok, I thought it might be worth a try.

Ken in NC
Backwoods Roaster

calneto
Thanks, anyway, Ken.
Just sipping the latest roast. Still haven't struck gold. It all seems tasteless compared to the air popper.
José @ Rio, Brazil

gene
Excellent suggestion Ciel.

"John, it would be much appreciated if you would share what you like and dislike about the two roasters (Gene Cafe and Quest M3) that you have been using over the passed year or so.

Your expert feedback would be most helpful for all HRO members who may be considering purchasing either a Gene Cafe or a Quest M3 in the near future."

Not only that but John, Ginny, and others chime in on what probes or accessories you would include if you had the purchase to do over with the Quest.
And did you go with Artisan software right away or?

And TrueQness question is on our minds. We know its around $1300 plus $200 shipping or do we? Including Amprobes or?
BDL can really help us here also.

whattodo
Hi. I am turing to reach following document "QuestM3_cheatSheet.pdf". However it seems that the link is dead. Somebody may linked the document again? Thanks a lot.

JackH
I tried to find it and it is gone. Also tried wayback machine and it is not archived. Maybe someone here has the file and can get it for you.

The original link to the file:

http://www.ultram...tSheet.pdf
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

bean2friends
If you go to Home-Barista - the roasting thread - and search for Quest cheat sheet, you'll see a guy with screen name of Ultramaticorange. He has offered to send others the cheat sheet privately. Give it a try.

whattodo
bean2friends wrote:

If you go to Home-Barista - the roasting thread - and search for Quest cheat sheet, you'll see a guy with screen name of Ultramaticorange. He has offered to send others the cheat sheet privately. Give it a try.

I sent a PM to Ultra. Waiting for reply. Thanks

noelh
John Despres wrote:

I'll give it some thought and post after a bit.

First off, though, the Gene Cafe cannot be compared to the Quest M3. The similarity stops at they are roasters and both plug in.

J

Initial impressions. Different roasters for different wants/needs.

Background:
Was an early user of the Gene Cafe(GC). 1st unit had the 1st gen control board that had some issues. GC replaced the roaster and returned the original roaster with an updated new circuit board. All for no cost. Several hundred roasting cycles between the two roasters. Roast 120gm loads. New Quest M3 roaster. Only 15 roasting cycles. Roasting 150 gm loads.

The GC requires a bit of effort to maintain. Proper cleaning of the unit is a a pita. Fine chaff dust coats the interior surfaces. Requires a total tear down occasionally. The M3 compared to the GC for routine and I hope for major maintenance looks much simpler. M3 basic parts that fail are sort of generic and are readily available.

In terms of roast quality based on my limited experience with the M3. Ideal bean development is hard to achieve using the GC. Acceptable most the time. Rarely great. IMHO, the GC requires low bean mass and "pre-heating" the unit for proper bean development. Even with that. Lack of heating omph at the time of loading greens (charge temp) guessing yields a smaller DeltaT. Another guess based on the cup is the GC ROR might flatten out too much relative to a proper roast on the M3. An issue if you desire a FC+ or Viennese level of roast. Note: personal observations that might be wrong.

I cooked the refurbished GC for the 2nd time. This time it looks to be the heating element. I think GC recommends a cool down of the roaster between batches. A process not followed has been hard on the roasters. M3 is designed to work better roasting back to back batches.

Easier to mess up a batch using the M3. More diligence is required using the M3 vs. the GC.
Operatore>Macina>Acqua>Miscela>Macchina

mkane
cheat sheet doesn't work
Always learning

JackH
mkane wrote:

cheat sheet doesn't work

Did you mean the link I posted 4 years ago?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

mkane
ordered a Quest today
Always learning

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Jump to Forum: