Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe Roasts Review and Questions
Hieronymus Mouse
Hi Guys,

I've been roasting away on my GC and here, off the top of my head, is what I've discovered and uncovered:

By moving from 100 gram to 226 gram lots, I hear the cracks far far more easily. Eureka!

Now, the challenge is to end the roast on time, given my tendency to want to be absolutely sure of passing completely through first crack. I like roasts on the lighter side, so that extra half to three quarters of a minute waiting for no crack brings the roast beyond what I want. Faith, I guess.

Beans that look best don't necessarily taste best. Higher roasts make for lovely looking beans.

I've been experimenting with high and low grown, wet processed and dry processed, as well as beans of different sizes. Dry processed beans are hard to get right, seems.

Question about ideal wait and drink times after roasting. It's clear from my experience that you need to wait for beans to develop, and one or two days is seldom enough to get a really good taste. The question, though, is about when your roasted beans lose flavor and aroma to an unacceptable level. I'm finding that in some cases (Ethiopian YC, e.g.) sometimes the coffee at ten days is even better than it was at five days. Is this a flaw in my tastebuds, or has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

Best,
Michael

Dan
I've found that the lighter the roast, the longer the rest, so I think your experience matches mine. Yirgs can be sharp, so I'm not surprised that you want them mellow.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

http://www.intactamerica.org
ginny
I'm finding that in some cases (Ethiopian YC, e.g.) sometimes the coffee at ten days is even better than it was at five days. Is this a flaw in my tastebuds, or has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

very true Michael, 14 plus days can be ideal. though it always falls back to personal taste in the end.

all of mine is tasted from the roaster...

frowned upon by most but my coffee, my way.

keep us posted, so many really believe that you only have one window for ideal taste, limb it is simply not true.

have a great day...

-g

Hieronymus Mouse
Dan wrote:

I've found that the lighter the roast, the longer the rest, so I think your experience matches mine. Yirgs can be sharp, so I'm not surprised that you want them mellow.

OK, lighter the roast, longer the rest. Interesting. I'm trying to lighten my roasts, and am now confident I can achieve this by merely shortening the post first crack time, since I can now actually hear first crack, tadah!
Michael

John Despres
Rest & drink time is totally up to you and incredibly subjective. One way to force a rest is roast 5 0r 6 batches at one time and rotate through them as you brew.

Make notes as you taste them. Depending on how much coffee you drink, these 5 or 6 batches could last a couple weeks.

Taste on, Taster!

Have fun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Hieronymus Mouse
John Despres wrote:

Rest & drink time is totally up to you and incredibly subjective. One way to force a rest is roast 5 0r 6 batches at one time and rotate through them as you brew.
Make notes as you taste them. Depending on how much coffee you drink, these 5 or 6 batches could last a couple weeks.
Taste on, Taster!
Have fun.
John

Ah, yes. I opened a notebook with facing pages, left to record the roast and right to record tastings. I've been tasting each roast once every other day or so with records of the tastings and changes all dated. This from your suggestions awhile back.
Michael

Hieronymus Mouse
Hi yet again,

I've been reading lots of posts in fits and starts which has given me a solid foundation for which I owe this forum a debt of thanks. Since I'm finding that getting a full city and full city plus roast is easy, getting a city or even city plus is more difficult. I'm always fearful that pulling the beans too soon will lead to under development, so I've been erring on the side of caution -- that is, more time rather than less.

I've been preheating, so the GC registers almost exactly 300 when the green beans are introduced. I warm at 350 or 375 for four or five minutes. (This brings some beans to pale or yellow, but never beyond. Usually there is no decernable change from the original color.) Is there a reason to lower this warming temp? At that point I ramp to 475.

Slightly after first 1C begins -- usually at the point where I KNOW I'm hearing those cracks rather than just thinking I do -- I lower temp to 460 for hard higher mountains and 450 or 455 for lower grown softer beans. This most often occurs somewhere around the 12 minute mark, give or take half a minute.

Now I listen and watch, noting bean behavior including expansion, darkening, end of 1C, etc. The big issue and question: When to dump? How many minutes (or seconds) do I have before minimally between end of 1C and start of 2C in your experience? It's here that my decisions give me nice FC/FC+, but less great roasts in the lower ranges where I often wanna be.

I usually let the cooling cycle run two minutes, then dump out the beans, agitating to lower temp quick. I'll rig up a cooler soon enough.

Sorry for rambling length, and I'm afraid I haven't articulated the questions so well.

Best regards and happy roasting,
Michael

John Despres
Hi, Michael.

I think the normal accepted time for a City Roast is to end the roast at the end of 1st crack - roughly 2 minutes after 1st has begun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Jump to Forum: