Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe support
bobwatson
I'm not sure if this information has been distributed before, but it appears Tim Skales is no longer the distributor or support for the Gene Cafe.

The new distibutor is Derek Anderson at email [email protected]

As my roaster is currenly broken, i'm beginning to wonder if its time to upgrade to a better roaster.

Are there any thoughts on the forum as to which roaster would be the best for home roasting? Quest M3? Hottop? Others?

ginny
depends on what you want from a roaster, are you tired of the Gene Cafe?

there are threads all over this forum about this roaster v. that roaster and I cannot

suggest if I do not now what it is you are looking for.

do you want to buy a roaster, build a roaster, drum, air, gas fired, electric.

give us few hints so we can help you out.

ginny

roar

bobwatson
Hi Ginny,

I'm not tired of the Gene, but I feel i'm ready for more control in my roasts. I don't want to build one, as i'm not blessed with such ability. I'd like to buy one that can use a temp probe in the bean mass. Electric is fine, but i want it to be well made, durable and able to produce an excellent roast. 1/2 pound per roast is acceptable.

I worry about the Hottop as i'm not in to the recurring costs for the filters, but i wouldn't rule it out if its the best available roaster for home use.

I'm really in to roasting my own coffee, but i want the roasts to be the best it can be and I think the gene is good, but not good enough, as i'm running blind not knowing the temp ramp.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

ginny
bob,

the roaster, any roaster is your tool...

you can get a great roast with a popper or a Quest 3...

if you like your Gene I would go Quest 3 for the most control, plus you can add a data logger like the TC4 for complete control.

There are many other machine on the market for around the same 1000 price point but you do not need a 1000 machine to get great roasts.

a KK style roaster will give you a much larger roast and some swear a better roast because it's air...

http://koffeekosm...

check out Paul's site and also look to the others here who have put this together, not difficult to do, just a bit of time, larger capacity and less expensive. Jack has built and his post is in the air forum as well.

forum threads for tubo roasters:
http://forum.home...rum_id=136

I suggest you read some of the forums on various roasters to narrow down what you may really want.

the filter issue with the Hot Top? how much do you plan on roasting? there are other options for the rear filter on the Hot Top.

ginny

tiki
Edited by ginny on 09/23/2013 2:41 PM

Jump to Forum: