Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Oneal
· 08/05/2020 1:08 PM
Is anyone roasting on a Coffee Tech FZ 94? Using Artisan. Need help. thumbdown

mtbizzle
· 08/03/2020 11:26 AM
There is (or was? Grin ) a gesha at sweet marias...

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
I ran out of Ethiopian Gesha.

snwcmpr
· 07/25/2020 12:31 PM
it is ok. I do not remember. I think it was a callout to the spam shout.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/24/2020 3:52 PM
Sorry Ken, I deleted your shout by mistake. Lots of shoutbox spam attacks lately.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,675
Newest Member: Oneal
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Decaf Destroyer
CharcoalRoaster
Yeah... My wife is pregnant so I bought some decaf greens from SM and was roasting a batch in my GC. Below you can see the results of 17min at the 482* setting. It seemed like the roast went from City+ - Charcoal in a matter of 30 seconds or so.
1/3lb wasted - lame. Lesson learned - worth it I suppose.
CharcoalRoaster attached the following image:
photo-1_1.jpg

oldgearhead
Yes, decaf can go dark very quickly unless you make adjustments. I find many decaf beans are already pretty dry (low test weight) when they arrive.
No oil on my beans...

Dan
I wonder if moisturizing them by putting the beans in some sort of humidor a day before roasting would help?
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

http://www.intactamerica.org
oldgearhead
I usually just use 30% less wattage and end the roast one minute sooner.
No oil on my beans...

oldgearhead
Decaf roasting has been a challenge for me. I almost always go too dark with it. I think part of the problem is I only roast around 1/2 kilo per month. So this thread motivated me to really try something different today.

Recently I have been working out some profiles using only 1.0 kilowatts of heat in my fluid-bed roaster for each roast. My 'normal' size load of wet-processed Yirg's or 'Central's with 1000 watts is 440 grams for 11.5 minutes to 'full-city' (varying the air pressure a couple of times to slow the roast).

So for today's Decaf Peru FTO Water Process beans, I set the controller for 1050 watts and added 510 grams of beans. First crack started around 9.5 minutes and I stopped the roast at 13 minutes. I'm very happy with the outcome. Looks like a nice 'city+' and none of the usual oil.

Therefore, for me, more beans seems to be the best way to keep from over-roasting decaf..
/
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_2797.jpg

No oil on my beans...

jedovaty
Approach decaf roasting like roasting natural/ dry process coffees or low grown less dense island beans - more airflow, lower heat. Be gentle :)

Dan
If you can't adjust airflow, like in drum roasters, you can get the effect of more airflow by using smaller batches.

Dan
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

http://www.intactamerica.org
jedovaty
I have a drum roaster (huky) and I can control airflow. I suppose, though, not all drum roasters are like mine, so, that's actually really good and useful to know, thank you!

Jump to Forum: