Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,237
Newest Member: jeanrdevine31
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gesha Profile in a Gene -- Anyone have one?
bicktrav
Hi everyone,

I just purchased some Guatemala Acatenango Gesha. Half of the beans are going to my brother as a birthday present. This is my first time roasting Gesha coffee. I'm planning on roasting tonight and really want to get the best out of the beans. The profile I'm typically roasting with (in my Gene Cafe) is as follows:

1) 482 until temp read reaches 330 at which point I drop the temp setting to 350
2) Once beans start showing hints of yellow (usually around 6 minutes in), bump the temp back up to 482
3) At onset of first crack, drop temp to 460
4) Begin cooling cycle at end of first crack (roughly two minutes after first crack began).
5) Once internal temp has dropped to 300, pull beans from drum and transfer to a collander; stir until cool

I usually let the beans rest a day before brewing. I've noticed that this profile works very well, but may bring out a touch too much brightness for some (not sure why that would be). Anyway, how does the above look for Gesha? Should I ramp up the temperature more gradually? Should I avoid hitting the 482 capacity of the Gene Cafe for fear of scorching the outside without affecting the inside as much? What do you all think? Anyone have any profiles that have worked particularly well? Also, in an ideal world,how long should Gesha rest before brewing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

John Despres
I think I'd slow it just a bit more. The Gesha is a pretty soft bean so I think I'd drop to 440 in stead of 460 at 1st.

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
bicktrav
John Despres wrote:

I think I'd slow it just a bit more. The Gesha is a pretty soft bean so I think I'd drop to 440 in stead of 460 at 1st.

Have fun!

John

Thanks so much for your help! So the rest of the profile looks good to you? Is cranking it to 482 too much heat? Also, I'm just curious, how does the softness of the bean affect the way it responds to the roast? How will the cup be affected if I lower the temp to 440 at first crack?

John Despres
Cranking to 482 will be the same as cranking to 472 since you are stopping the increase well before you reach the high setting.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

cafeat8
Hello to everybody.
I use everyday normally 4 gene cafe together and I found out that my best I get when I setting the temperature 230 C - 446 F for 13 minutes, and I let the machines to go, I check the color and if necessary I increase the roasting time, before reaching what I would like as result I stop the roasting an I put in a colander all coffee together.
It is working fine. My espresso is wonderful and customers are Happy.

But reading about the roasting profile I am losing myself, I made some experiment but the results that I got are worst than my method

Cold you please let me know something about

Alfio

Hieronymus Mouse
John, as I outlined in another thread, my roaster temperature rises extremely fast, I think, reaching 482 from an ambient 86 in around four minutes. In such a case, wouldn't it be wiser and more prudent to never set the temperature so high for fear of actually reaching it? I ran the empty drum test at 482, (resilts elsewhere) but have yet to run the test with beans therein. You don't want to ruin batches of gesha, the cost being what it is. Michael

John Despres
Michael, set your high to 460 and drop to 440 at 1st crack.

John
Edited by John Despres on 07/27/2013 7:57 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Hieronymus Mouse
Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get back to NY.
Michael

gene
Bicktrav:

I just bought a pound of Acetango Gesha also.

When I start the first ever Geisha roast late next week might start out at 460 after a 300 warm-up to the five minute mark, tho had planned lower. Actually I rarely go over 465 even for 6000 foot elevation SHB beans.

And I usually lower to 440-444 after 30 seconds of first crack unless my goal is FC+. My Gene ramps up really fast since I am near a generating unit and have great power according to my Kill-A-Watt.

John's advice has always been spot on as he has experimented with a myriad of parameters on the GC thru the years
Let us know your results.
Thanks for the thread.

gene
Hey bictrav

Any news on how your Gesha roast went?

I'm still in a holding pattern waiting on the first roast of this exciting coffee.
thanks

Jump to Forum: