Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 with aArtisanQ_PID
MaKoMo
I'll look into this...

MaKoMo
I guess Artisan jumps to the SV set within the PID Config dialog at the end of the background. What would be the correct behavior here?

Should the PID just be turned off at the end of the background profile? What happens if the PID is turned of, does the heater stays at the last value?

Will2
MaKoMo wrote:

I guess Artisan jumps to the SV set within the PID Config dialog ...

If you mean the max value for the slider, it will not be that.
Only in the case of Artisan PID this maximum value will not exceed. Values are varied.

What normal behavior would be, I can try to write it for myself.
At the end of the background profile, PID should not be turned off automatically, only manually.
The last SV value should be retained:

up.picr.de/30642013ao.jpg

When turning off the PID manually, the value for the heater should be preserved.

This way, I can stop roasting anytime,
or continue with roasting manually by adjusting the SV slider value,
or when the PID is off by adjusting the Heater slider value.
Viliam

Will2
Marko,
here is one another example of strange behavior:

up.picr.de/30643003wo.jpg

the SV value does not exceed the last value in the background profile.
Viliam

Will2
Here is maybe a partial answer:

https://artisan-r...ntrol.html

here is written:
... The background mode is only active between CHARGE and DROP ...

I thought that this was related to the actual roasting, not to the background profile.
Viliam

greencardigan
MaKoMo wrote:

I guess Artisan jumps to the SV set within the PID Config dialog at the end of the background. What would be the correct behavior here?

I agree with Will, the SV it jumps to is not the value set in the PID Config.

MaKoMo wrote:

Should the PID just be turned off at the end of the background profile? What happens if the PID is turned of, does the heater stays at the last value?

When TC4 PID turns off, heater remains at last computed value.

Also agree. PID should remain on at end of background profile, but not send any more PID;SV commands.
Edited by greencardigan on 10/14/2017 5:12 PM

Will2
Will2 wrote:
the SV value does not exceed the last value ...

It was a DROP value!
(I mean the DROP value at time 12:00)
In this case, normal behavior.
Edited by Will2 on 10/14/2017 7:59 PM
Viliam

MaKoMo
Found the issue in Artisan. A typo. The fix will be part of Artisan v1.2. Public beta builds should be available soon.

Will2
I have also found some different behaviors in the same situations in different modes.
In some cases, this arises from the philosophy of Artisan
It might be advisable to discuss all the differences in behavior found.
There was little time to test.
Tomorrow we may try to write down differences so far so as to rule out what is normal behavior.
Viliam

MaKoMo
I uploaded a public beta of Artisan v1.2 on its GitHub home.

ChrisR
Is there a possibility to tune the PID in Artisan on the fly, meaning while roasting, or are the values set at the beginning of the roast?

MaKoMo
You can "tune on the fly" with the internal as well as the TC4 PID

ChrisR
Great. Thank you.

ChrisR
I plan follow in the footstep of another member and build the automation for my gas roaster. I will be using the proportional valve and I'm working on finding out if it would be difficult to add the following feature (unless it already exists). Since I will be using IO3 for fast PWM output, I was wondering if it is possible to have the output set to max (5V) if the roaster is not in Control mode. Basically, the logic would be

if Control Mode not enable
output 5V at IO3

This will allow the proportional valve to be fully open when I don't use automation and be controlled by the driver during automation mode, or when the Control is on.
Edited by ChrisR on 10/20/2017 7:01 PM

greencardigan
If the PID control is off, then you can manually set the heater output to whatever value you want.

You could use the sliders or a button in Artisan to send the io3,xxx command where xxx is the percentage output.

Are you using any electrical circuit between the io3 pin and the proportional valve? Or can the valve use the PWM signal directly?

ChrisR
greencardigan wrote:

If the PID control is off, then you can manually set the heater output to whatever value you want.

You could use the sliders or a button in Artisan to send the io3,xxx command where xxx is the percentage output.

Are you using any electrical circuit between the io3 pin and the proportional valve? Or can the valve use the PWM signal directly?

I will have a proportional valve controller which accepts PWM signals coming straight from the io3 and sends amplified PWM to the gas valve. The default setting for the gas valve is off, thus if it does not receive a signal it completely closes the gas line and cannot do manual roasts. The gas valve is placed between the gas source and roaster. The controller is needed to provide adequate current to the gas valve.

I believe either of the two scenarios work,
1. Using the slider to output max power, thus completely opening the gas valve.
2. or use the button in Artisan to send io3.xxx the command to fully open the valve. Which button would that be?

greencardigan
You have to set Artisan up to send the correct commands. Have a look at the video I posted recently. In the video I use the OT1 command as I have my heater on that output. So just replace OT1 with IO3.

https://forum.hom...;pid=63918

judoclimb
Hi I am just getting started on controlling my Poppery with aArtisanQ_PID. I was able to follow directions and wire all the hardware. I have a couple of questions.
1. How can i change the temp units to Celcius?
2. Is there a way to create a button in Artisan to increase Power or Speed by a certain unit?
3. Is there a way to keep displaying the current Power and Speed in the Artisan window?

Thanks in advance!

greencardigan
In Artisan there is an option in the menus to change the temperature units. This will cause Artisan to send the UNITS;C of UNITS;F command to the TC4 when you connect.

Alternatively, you can change the default units in the user.h file before loading onto the TC4/Arduino.

There’s a few option for setting up a button in Artisan to increase/decrease power. Have a look at this video. It shows one way (I haven’t tested this method).
https://youtu.be/...

The other option is using the UP and DOWN commands. For example, setting up a button with a serial command of OT1;UP will increase the OT1 output power by the increment defined using DUTY_STEP in the user.h file. The default is 1%.

There should be a commands.txt file in the sketch folder which documents all the available commands and their usage.

Not real sure what you’re asking in your last question. But the latest version of aArtisanQ_PID sends the heater and fan duty values to Artisan every read interval. Older versions only sent theses values if the PID was active. See link to version 6_3 on the previous page in this thread.

And see the video in the post immediately above yours for setting up Artisan to receive and display the heater and fan values.

Will2
MaKoMo wrote:

I uploaded a public beta of Artisan v1.2 ...

I tried, now it's okay.
Viliam

Jump to Forum: