Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

peveleth
· 06/05/2020 3:10 PM
For Gene Cafe Roasters I have an older Gene Cafe Roaster. Temp fluctuates probably showing age. Question: For recent owners of the newer Gene Cafe Roaster, your opinions?

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,620
Newest Member: scarmi
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 with aArtisanQ_PID
greencardigan
I have updated aArtisanQ_PID to include PWM control the same as aArtisan. This is in addition to the usual phase angle control in aArtisanQ_PID. The corresponding commands (IO3;xxx and DCFAN;xxx) have also been added.

I have done limited testing at this stage, so let me know here if you find any issues.

Phase angle control mode is selected by default but can be disabled in the user.h file by commenting out the #define PHASE_ANGLE_CONTROL line.

A brief summary of each control option:

Phase Angle Control mode
- Requires a zero-cross detector on IO3
- Phase angle control on OT2 for an AC fan
- ICC control on OT1 for a heater
- No PWM output on IO3

PWM mode
- Slow PWM on OT1 for a heater (default 1Hz but adjustable)
- Fast PWM (analogue out) on IO3 for DC fan control
- Additional slow PWM on OT2

You can find the update here including a zip file containing the sketches, and latest TC4 libraries. https://github.com/greencardigan/TC4-...nQ_PID_6_0

Or direct zip file download here. https://github.com/greencardigan/TC4-...p?raw=true

greencardigan
I've done a few roasts with this version now and it seems to be running fine in phase angle control mode.

If anyone gets it working with PWM mode (DC fan) let me know here.

JackH
Brad, thanks for the continued support and help with this software.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

greencardigan
I've released another update for testing.

A few members here and on Home-Barista were asking about getting a PWM output to control a gas valve while also getting phase angle control for an AC blower. I have created a test version of aArtisanQ_PID which can do that. Main changes in Bold.

Phase Angle Control mode
- Requires a zero-cross detector on IO2
- Phase angle control on OT2 for an AC fan
- ICC control on OT1 for a heater
- Optional PWM output on IO3 (3.922kHz) for heater. Defined using IO3_HTR in user.h. The PID should control IO3 in this mode.

PWM mode
- Slow PWM on OT1 for a heater (default 1Hz but adjustable)
- Fast PWM (3.922kHz) on IO3 for DC fan control
- Additional slow PWM on OT2

The PWM frequency is currently fixed at 3.922kHz but I could make it user adjustable if required.

You can find the update here including a zip file containing the sketches, and latest TC4 libraries. https://github.com/greencardigan/TC4-...sanQ_PID_6

Or direct zip file download here. https://github.com/greencardigan/TC4-...p?raw=true
Edited by greencardigan on 04/16/2016 5:34 AM

Will2

greencardigan wrote:
...If anyone gets it working with PWM mode (DC fan) let me know here.

I have done some roast with the last two versions.
First aArtisanQ_PID_6_0 with 3kw fluid bed roaster (AC blower), no problems.

up.picr.de/25371047xo.png

Then with popper (DC motor).
I had problems with interference, mosfet was directly connected to io3 without optocoupler, then problem solved.

up.picr.de/25371051ze.png
up.picr.de/25371052ab.png

Then once aArtisanQ_PID_6_2 with 3kw fluid bed roaster.
I had to uncomment lines 391 and 392 of aArtisanQ_PID.ino because I need to log the counter data (application CSV Grapher will not work with Time format MM:SS). Blower, therefore no heating, does not work when ZCD connected to I/O3, only to I/O2.

up.picr.de/25371054eu.png

For making graphs were used TC4 Roasting App and CSV Grapher.
Viliam

greencardigan
Thanks for the feedback.

Can you confirm if you got version 6_2 working properly with the zero-cross detector connected to I/O2? I wasn't sure based on your last comment. Have you tried the popper with this version?

Will2
My last comment means that in version 6.0 can ZCD optionally connect to I/O2 or I/O3. In version 6.2 it works only with I/O2.

Pictures always belong to the text, under which they are placed, this means that the last image without beans is testing with version 6.2.

I have not yet tried popper roasting (slow PWM on OT1 and fast PWM on I/O3) with version 6.2. I did not assume it would not work.
I also not tried fast PWM heating on I/O3 and Phase angle control on OT2.

I can try, but I suppose that's tested.
Viliam

greencardigan
Thanks for clarification.

Version 6_2 requires the zero-cross detector connected to I/O2 as it uses I/O3 for the optional PWM.

slickrock

greencardigan wrote:

A few members here and on Home-Barista were asking about getting a PWM output to control a gas valve while also getting phase angle control for an AC blower ...

- Optional PWM output on IO3 (3.922kHz) for heater. Defined using IO3_HTR in user.h. The PID should control IO3 in this mode.

The PWM frequency is currently fixed at 3.922kHz but I could make it user adjustable if required.

Wow, this good news - thanks a bunch. When I get some time, will will push forward with AC fan control on TJ-067, and let you know how it works out.

One additional feature I need is user modifiable PWM frequency per your comments above - something similar what JG provided on his version. For a Clipper driver, I'll meed a PWM around something closer to 2 kHz.

As an aside, I'm hearing that Artisan 1.0 will be supporting onboard PID control, so it can send out the duty settings based on its PID algorithm instead of SV as the prior version does. This implies that you can save some memory/space by offering a branch that with all PID control capability excised.

greencardigan
Ok I'll see what I can do to make the optional PWM on io3 user adjustable. I'm travelling in Europe at the moment so it could be a month or so before I can look at it.

I could probably put a line in the user.h to allow users to switch off/remove the PID code

monkey_lever
Hi.

Is there any way to implement in the aArtisaQ_pid code the functionality to control a steeper motor like this one (http://www.instructables.com/id/BYJ48-Stepper-Motor/)? .

Im interested in controlling a gas valve knob with my TC4.

Rgds.

greencardigan
I think it probably could be, but would require a bit of work.

BenKeith
I haven't tried but the robot guys run servo's all the time and that seems like a rather simple process. They make some extremely strong servo's. The ones I run in some of the RC helicopters have over 10 pounds of torque and you can find used ones for less than $100 each, some of the older models for $50 that are more than good enough most applications.

http://www.robotshop.com/blog/en/ardu...otors-3636

RedAce
Hello everyone,

I would like to use the TC4 to control my fluidbed roaster via Artisan. If I want to control the fan separately via manual dimmer and want the ArtisanĀ“s PID to control only the heat, do I need the ZCD? Is it possible to use just a slow PWM signal and standard SSR? I am very new to this so my question might be very trivial/stupid. I am sorry if that is the case :-)

Will2
Currently this is not possible.
Even while driving a fan other than through TC4,
will not go start heating without ZCD .
It would be necessary modification of code.
Viliam

Mustang967

RedAce wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to use the TC4 to control my fluidbed roaster via Artisan. If I want to control the fan separately via manual dimmer and want the ArtisanĀ“s PID to control only the heat, do I need the ZCD? Is it possible to use just a slow PWM signal and standard SSR? I am very new to this so my question might be very trivial/stupid. I am sorry if that is the case :-)

I don't see any reason why using slow PWM wouldn't work. Obviously its going to be an all or nothing control but it should work just fine. It will take a bit of pid tuning to get everything running as you want. Another thought would be to dimmer control the power going to your ssr so you don't have to use full power if you don't need it. You'd want to tune PID settings and power settings together to accurately hit set temperatures without overshooting.

Will2, Unless I'm missing something I don't see why any code changes would be needed. Slow pwm is currently supported and works just fine.

centralvalleycoffee.com
Will2
I answered the question:
... do I need the ZCD?
aArtisanQ_PID will not work without ZCD.
Viliam

greencardigan
PWM mode should work without a zero cross detector in version 6_2 of aArtisanQ_PID. See post back up a bit. http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...post_59700

This mode should make aArtisanQ_PID function essentially the same as Jim's standard aArtisan sketch.

Will2
I forgot it.
I have not tried it yet.
Viliam

James211
Where can I find a list of the serial commands?

Jump to Forum: