Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,203
Newest Member: Dave Tee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
E3: A malfunctioning machine (urgent)
Barrie
FWIW, the latest twist is that the buyer has talked with Tim, and the decision is that it is likely (but not proven to be) a loose or disconnected sensor connection. The ball is probably coming back to my court and I will post the definite answer when it is known.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

gene
On the issue of slipping drum causing broken drive gear. I still don't know how it happened. I was busy cleaning chaff and had the GC in cooling mode. 15 minutes later when I first noticed GC drum was upside down keeping it from rotating. Put drum back in properly, hit the buttons and it just sat there and would not rotate.

Consulted HB and called Tim.

What can you say about Tim Skaling of Fresh Beans? Simply fantastic guy and absolutely top service every time I have dealt with him.

He described how to fix it and sent me two gears, one for a spare.

The old gear is all plastic composite, the new one has a brass sleeve. It is now indestructible!

Actually Tim says all new GC's come with this new gear.

Took a total of 20 minutes, 10 to slowly take apart the Gene, five to fix and five to quickly put back together.

Tim says the old gear would be cracked and sure enough it was. One thing that helped me to reinstall so quickly-took the new gear, matched up the flat spot on the spindle with the D-shaped gear and forced partly on with fingers....., pressed the old gear up against it and gently pecked it on with a hammer and socket extension. Remember. the old gear is already cracked and makes a perfect tool to keep from damaging the new one.
Just put the socket extension against the old gear as you lightly force it into place with gentle taps.

Tim says to use a screwdriver to force it on but screwdriver didn't give me enough force.

Thanks to Barry for bringing the issue up and to Ginny and John for keeping me straight.
HB rocks!

gene

Barrie
I now have the final determination of what was wrong with my GC. To recap, I had sold it in good working condition, but the buyer could not make it work. The machine stopped, with an E3 display, almost immediately after turn-on.
Initially, Tim thought it was a fault with the outlet temperature sensing but this was not the case. The machine would still not reach temperatures in the high 400s, and a change of heater did not help. He then changed the CPU chip on the circuit board and that did not work. There was a chip/circuit board incompatibility in the products arriving from Korea, so he replaced both the circuit board and the chip with new arrivals, and all is apparently now working well. The machine should arrive by FedEx tomorrow, and I believe there will be no charge to me (it was within its one year warranty - just). What great service, as we all know!
This has been an extraordinary sequence of events, when viewed from a number of perspectives. The GC worked fine before I sold it, including routinely preheating to 474 before bean drop-in. Shipping was with appropriate packing (Styrofoam molds etc). Tim is at a loss to explain it, other than "it was just one of those electronics things." For my part, I still have every confidence in it and would not have changed to a Hottop but for my deafness and the crack-hearing problem.
Now I have a re-conditioned GC with new electronics (and heater I think) that I will put on the market. I think I will start with Craig's List as that may get me a local SF Bay Area buyer which would avoid shipping costs. BBQ grill
Edited by Barrie on 07/12/2013 7:37 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie
Ginny, the machine was in perfect working condition as far as I was concerned, so something happened after it left here. I refunded the buyer a month or so ago, and as I said in the message above, will now sell the reconditioned machine which Tim says is working perfectly.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ginny
Barrie:

I was simply trying to get the heart out of your conversation in the post you just made not make a challenge or suggest you sold a bad machine.

You made several comments about the machine and I was not sure if some were before or after - this is new information from other posts.

I am interested.

I see you did an edit after I made a comment, was that for clarity or???

tiki
Edited by ginny on 07/12/2013 8:53 AM

Barrie
ginny wrote:

Barrie:

I was simply trying to get the heart out of your conversation in the post you just made not make a challenge or suggest you sold a bad machine.

You made several comments about the machine and I was not sure if some were before or after - this is new information from other posts.

I am interested.

I see you did an edit after I made a comment, was that for clarity or???

tiki
u
For clarity. I had accidentally clicked to post as opposed to edit, and so did my final edit in the sequence you observed. I have been back over the thread and don't think I can make this much clearer. This last post was to comply with the perfectly understandable previous request(s). I just did not have the information until now.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie
A Post Script. The machine arrived back last Friday and I have run a batch of beans through it. All seems to be well but, then, that was what I thought when I sold it the first time. Grin

Now, back to the market place.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

dwieland
ginny wrote:

the drum not properly in place

that is the #1, the number 2 and the number 3 reason for the error.

<snip>

ginny

tiki

I'm not sure what number Ginny would give this Grin, but I recently fixed an odd E3 error by brushing and vacuuming out a layer of dust that I discovered coating nearly everything inside my roaster. (I hadn't opened the GC since I replaced the heater a few years ago.) The symptoms I was experiencing were that the roaster would start normally but stop after a couple of minutes and show E3. (I couldn't detect any shifting of the drive cogs.)

Jump to Forum: