Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,587
Newest Member: Boki
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My first roast ever - questions!
bicktrav
I just purchased a Gene Cafe and roasted my first batch with it yesterday. I used an El Salvador Majahual Tablon La Montana, which was part of an 8 pound sampler included in my purchase. The recommendations were to roast at Full City to FC+. The Gene Cafe manual advises cranking the temperature all the way (482) for 19 minutes to reach Full City, so I turned it on, programmed it for 482 at 19 minutes and just let it go. By about 16 minutes the roast was looking very dark, a touch too dark for my liking actually. I stopped it and put it into cooling mode at around 17 minutes. I brewed a cup with it this morning, and it's ok--a bit over-roasted for my taste. Kind of has a burnt flavor to it, not in a really bad way, but you don't get any complexity, brightness or fruit. Anyway, I wasn't expecting to nail it the first go around, so it's ok. But I guess I'm curious about a few things...

First, did I overshoot Full City-FC+ and head into Vienna or French (I've posted a photo of the batch below for reference)? If so, are the Gene Cafe manual's instructions to crank to 482 and let it go for 19 minutes wrong? How do you hit Full City? And what distinguishes the flavor of Full City-FC+ from the flavors of Vienna or French?

i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/bicktrav/3b6a9fa3-d076-4ac1-b427-fa1cbcba6edc.jpg

Second, I've been browsing through here and elsewhere and I've found a lot of info on roasting profiles, which advise modifying the temperature throughout the roast. One profile might instruct you to set the temp for 300 for the first 5 minutes, then crank it until first crack, then lower it after first crack. I'm confused by that because the Gene Cafe's manual doesn't indicate the need to change the temperature during the roast. It seems to advocate a "set it and forget it" kind or approach. Beyond that, I'm a bit confused about how to interpret the roast profiles. Let's say a profile advises you to roast at 300 degrees for the first 5 minutes. Obviously if you set the temp for 300, it won't actually reach that level for a little while; for the first few minutes it will really be more like 150-250 as it builds toward 300. So if a profile instructs 300 for the first 5 minutes, does that mean the actual internal temperature should be 300 from the moment the beans go in, or does it mean you put the beans in, set the temperature to 300 and allow it to build to that number over a 5 minute period?

Any other tips for a first-timer would be sincerely appreciated. I'm really excited about all this!

allenb
Howdy and welcome to HRO!

Good questions you bring up. I'll try and answer some of the basic questions you've posed and our Gene experts can take it from there.

First off, most instructional material included with a roaster is going to be generic which is intended to get you started with roasting and develope your own techniques on your own.

Also since every machine even of the same make/model has varying levels of power, there is no possible way a manufacturer would be able to give a reliable time/temp for a given roast level.

As far as the roast pictured, looks well into vienna with the oil sheen I'm seeing.

Make sure you read as much as you can in the Gene threads for help with tweaking profiles and others will probably lend a hand soon.

Cheers,

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: