Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,587
Newest Member: Boki
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Central american coffee
simagic
I get 'Roast Magazine" via email and saw this. Quite alarming. Personally, I prefer Guatamalan coffee. Central American generally. For those out there like me, I copied and pasted some info...........

Guatemala President Otto Molina Perez has declared a national emergency due to the leaf rust outbreak that has been spreading throughout Central America. He has authorized allocating approximately $14 million (USD) for pesticides and to help train farmers to prevent further spreading of the fungus.

Costa Rica and Honduras have also declared states of emergency due to leaf rust, which attacks and kills coffee plants, as leaves show brown and orange spots. The outbreak is being regarded as the worst in some 40 years, and it is likely the worst ever in Central America. Plantations in Mexico and El Salvador have also reported signs of the fungus.

In his declaration, Perez said that leaf rust has already destroyed as much as 70 percent of Guatemala’s coffee crop, affecting tens of thousands of farmers. Nearly two thirds of the 333 municipalities in Guatemala produce coffee. According to a Huffington Post report, coffee producers from Guatemala, Hondouras, Costa Rica and El Salvador plan to meet later this month in Honduras to collectively discuss strategies to curb the outbreak.

The coffee leaf rust outbreak in Central America continues to grow and is now expected to wreak widespread damage to local farm economies as well as exports. Coffee estates in Mexico, Nicaragua and Central America have all reported catastrophic outbreaks, and political leaders in each country are taking steps to help curb the outbreak.

Costa Rica has allocated some $4 million in emergency funding to help thwart a leaf rust outbreak that is currently expected to destroy approximately 12 percent of the country’s 2013-14 crop.

The Hemileia vastratrix fungus has been threatening other Central American countries, and Costa Rica’s Agriculture Minister Gloria Abraham told Reuters that 11,000 hectares have been “severely affected” by the fungus in her country, with losses expected to be around $15 million. Another 9,400 hectares were described as “moderately” damaged. The emergency funding will largely be used for pesticides to help prevent the spread of the fungus.

Jump to Forum: