Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
average cool down times you experience
jlhuge
Being a Popper I roaster I have a very manual cool down process for my coffee; dump into old mesh strainer, shake over exhaust vent of my shop-vac to increase air-flow over beans. Using this method I average about a 1 minute cool down in the winter and no more than 2 minutes in the height of summer. No smoke regulation means I'm banished to the garage so ambient temps are very weather and season dependent.

Now when I first started roasting a couple years ago, I read/was told that speedy cool down is important to stop the roasting process, much like shocking vegetables after blanching.

So in looking at various roaster models I'm seeing cool down periods in the 5-10 minute range, which seems awfully long, even with the larger batch size.

So I thought I would ask what your experiences are with cool-down periods after roasting
- Justin

West Bend Poppery I, strainer, shop-vac for cooling and chaff control.

Dan
I've always been a fan of rapid cooling. Cooling is part of the heat profile and I want the roasting to stop when I want it to, not what my fan decides. Both of my coolers are high volume flow with only 1-2 bean depth across the screen, making a 1 minute cooling.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

http://www.intactamerica.org
oldgearhead
What's the bean surface temperature you target for cooling?
oldgearhead attached the following image:
coffeecooler3_2.jpg

No oil on my beans...

Ringo
I am with Dan cool them as fast as possible, if its longer than 3 min I would really worry.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

jlhuge
@oldgearhead
warm to the touch, but not hot.
I don't have a good surface thermometer so I can't say exact temp, but I would wager around 80-100 is where I usually stop.
- Justin

West Bend Poppery I, strainer, shop-vac for cooling and chaff control.

Jump to Forum: