Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,479
Newest Member: Megaomgchen
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Drying Phase in my Gene Cafe
Barrie
FWIW, (I hope) I am attaching an image of an Excel file that includes data from 5 runs with one GC. The first is the maiden voyage with no beans and from a cold start, and the last is based on suggestions from this thread.

Of interest to me are runs 3 and 4 with the same profile but very different beans. The time/temp data is so close that the curves are superimposed on the chart!
As I am deaf, I cannot vouch for the times given for the cracks, particularly 1C.
For now, I think I will stick with the profile in run #5 for a while.
Barrie attached the following image:
gc_records.png

Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

allenb
I'm looking forward to hearing how these roasts cup. It would be very interesting to hear cupping results using a couple of these profiles on the same bean but unfortunately would burn through a couple of pounds of your green supply.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Barrie
Allen, I pulled this info from records going back over several months and do not have the cupping info. Indeed, my discrimination in this regard is so poor as not to be worth posting, I would say. My limits extend to bright, fruity, bitter, burned twig, full bodied, malt/chocolate and that is about it. I just cannot distinguish the subtleties that so many others describe. Maybe I should have started that practice a few decades ago. beach
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

allenb

Barrie wrote:

Allen, I pulled this info from records going back over several months and do not have the cupping info. Indeed, my discrimination in this regard is so poor as not to be worth posting, I would say. My limits extend to bright, fruity, bitter, burned twig, full bodied, malt/chocolate and that is about it. I just cannot distinguish the subtleties that so many others describe. Maybe I should have started that practice a few decades ago. beach

Barrie, you're not alone in being "cupping challenged" I've never been able to discern 90% of those long lists of descriptors either. I was really only looking for better or worse when I referred to cup/cupping results, no descriptors needed!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Barrie
Allen, my best cupping scores to date have been with SM Monkey and French Roast blends, using the same profile as Roasts 3 and 4 in my graph.
Preheat/beans in/482 to 1C/451 to end.
This whole discussion has encouraged me to take one bean and do about four different profiles, trying to replicate the same starting point, then cup them all in the same session after waiting, say, 4 days. If and when I do that, I will certainly post the results. One caveat is that I will be cupping espresso.
Up until this point I have been a little foolish about this and have cupped for different beans and, occasionally, different profiles. A little more rigor will be introduced. cross fingers
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

blackraptor
Hi mi profile is

Preheat at 200 celsium
5 min at 170
max temp and first crack at 232-237 degrees
lower temp about 8 degrees and cooling

I would like to ask how could i get to first crack at lower temp, like 230 degrees. Does it matter with drying phase, like lower temp or less min?
thanks

Jump to Forum: