Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,586
Newest Member: RPirie_CedarOta
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
my current "general" profile .. comments please
Steve Egge
So I'm new to roasting and the Gene Cafe (as of December) ... I've read lots ...seen videos ... looked at postings ... and have settled on a general profile that seems to work. so here is what I'm currently doing ....

preheat to 320 so every roast is the same from first to 3rd roast in a session. (I tried 350 but was worried one time that I burnt the bean when I stalled and put the beans in roaster ... then remembered that I hadn't emptied the chaff collector so the beans sat upright in hot drum for a bit) and one time my temp after bean transfer read 320 ... so figured I'd lower my preheat to make it all smoother.

add beans 225 grams
dry beans at 300F for 5 minutes
increase temp to 464F after 5 minutes
First crack usually around 12 minutes or 12:30 minutes
after First Crack open the plastic cover for better visibility and to allow the inefficency that is induced by eleminating the insulation from the cover ...
Hit the cool button near the desired roast level for 2 minutes ... this seems to really help eliminate the chaff that with some beans that seems to pile up at the end of the roast ... and is usually pretty much gone by 1.5 minutes.

seems to be about 3 - 4 minutes between 1st and 2nd crack on my machine using this profile

The results seem pretty good and fairly easy for me to follow

Questions ... am I missing anything by not cranking it up to 482 ? I.E. not carmalizing enough ... or missing some essential transformation that should take place?

Thanks ... Really like the machine .. there are endless tweaks and I suppose with time thing will change with each bean ...

Feedback more than welcome....

steve
Santoker Rev 500, Baratza Vario-W, HG-One, Bunn Trifecta MB, AeroPress, Londinium I

ginny
Steve:

Thanks again for joining us. Sounds like I may have to zip over to your place for a cup of your fresh roasted. that Gene is a sweet machine.

ginny

rockon

snwcmpr
Welcome Steve.
I have friends in Puyallup. Nice view of Rainier in the avatar.
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Jump to Forum: