Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,245
Newest Member: infinitystone
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cleaning routine?
Barrie
I hear of problems arising due to not cleaning out chaff and I have seen references to on or two cleaning products for cleaning parts. I have the newer GC version with the chaff collector that has a chimney, and I have done about 150 roasts. So here are some questions that I hope someone experienced can take the time to answer.
1. What components do I take apart and clean?
2. What solution do you recommend? I looked at Simple Green in the hardware store and it only came in spray bottles or industrial size containers.
3. What exactly do you do? Soak it? If so, for how long?
How often do you do this? Any signs as to when a cleaning is due, other than that you cannot see the interior of the container any more? thumbdown
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

John Despres
Hi, Barrie.

I vacuum my chaff collector in between every roast. This is pretty easy as I have a small bench Shop Vac for my bean cooler. Then I take mine apart every 100 roasts or so and scrub it with Simple Green. I have a small-ish size bottle (read not industrial size). I soak it and then scrub it.

I don't use the larger one, so I don't how to take it apart. However, if it's anything like the small one, it's pretty easy.

Hope this helps.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Ryan
The used Gene Cafe I purchased a few weeks ago was in a pretty rough state of cleanliness. I'm not sure how old it is, but I'd say at least 4-5 years. It's seen a lot of action. I got most of it looking sparkley clean using baking soda and vinegar but the roast drum has some baked-on black areas that I don't think will ever come clean.

I tried cleaning the glass with Comet, per Tim Skales, but to no avail.

I took the chaff collector apart and there was a surprising amount of itty-bitty chaff pieces built up, and refusing to come out with the shop vac. Along with the drum and its divider, I soaked the metal screen from the chaff collector overnight in a mixture of simple green concentrate and water, probably a 1:5 ratio. Like the comet, it didn't do much for the really old, really black, reallllly baked-on stuff, but it did an excellent job of cleaning up the screen from the chaff collector.

Of course, I threw out the first roast after doing all this cleaning of the drum.

Barrie
Thanks for the info., Ryan. Together with John's comments that is a great help. I don't think you said whether you have the new or old chaff collector? Did you take the metal divider out of the container?

The other thing that has been mentioned here is the issue of "stuff" getting sucked up into the area of the fan and heater. Does anyone take that apart prophylactically, I wonder?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Ryan
Ah yes, I am talking about the new chaff collector. I have the old one, too, but haven't used it. I did take the divider out of the drum, making it easier to scrub. It comes free with just a slight pry from a screwdriver.

That's a good question about the fan/heater area. I haven't gone that far with it. Maybe it would be a good idea to stick the shop vac up to that opening, at least.

Barrie
I am in the middle of a cleaning, encouraged by descriptions here. The container metal divider is out and has been soaking for a few hours. So far, some of the baked-on material has come off with scrubbing but most is still there. Perhaps it will have loosened up by tomorrow morning.
What I am concerned about is how to take the large-type chaff collector completely apart. When the four Philips screws are removed the two parts can be pried apart and the chimney assembly is easily removed. From there I was able to blow out the loose chaff dust, and, after soaking the chimney assembly in Simple Green, was able to remove all the baked-on chaff dust (most of it sticks there). What I cannot do is remove the screen (can't get at the screws) or separate the two sides of the collector. Is there a trick I am missing? The obstructing parts are the wire protectors connected to one half, that run across the other half, returning to the original side, plus the screen. Of course, if I could get the two sides completely apart I would then be able to move the screen. Help!
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Ryan
I was able to simply pop the wire protectors off with a tug and a little bit of wiggling. They didn't seem to be held in by anything besides friction.

Barrie
Ryan,
Your GC is probably a bit better-traveled than mine. I hesitated to send it on the journey but when I eventually used quite a bit of BF&BI on the wires they still would not budge. I may call the company for advice, and will report back if I find out anything of use to others.

BF&BI = English expression from 'way back = Brute Force and Bloody Ignorance. Grin
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Ryan
Yikes, sorry about that Barrie. I'm glad you didn't bust anything. I'll be interested to hear what they say about removing the wires. Hopefully it's meant to be taken apart completely, because after doing mine I can definitely see the benefit from breaking down the chaff collector and thoroughly cleaning it.

Barrie
I finally got through to Tim Skales at Fresh Beans and hope I am not mis-quoting him. He told me that he has been able to pull out the protector wires on the large chaff collector. It sounded as though he was "playing it by ear" a bit, rather than providing a formal recommendation. I say this because he thought I might have to use heat-resistant adhesive when I put them back!
He told me his personal routine is as follows.
Chaff collector: Take the four Phillips screws out, and remove the end with the chimney, and the chaff-removal cap. Soak the whole thing in detergent, then use a long-handled sink/dish scrubbing brush with Comet to clean the screen on the inside.
For the container, he takes out the metal divider and uses a small wire brush on an electric drill to take off any baked-on black stuff, then, after soaking in detergent, he brushes the rest, including the glass, with Comet. He has not found any commercial product, Simple Green or any other, that is particularly good on its own in terms of soaking overnight. So he just uses regular detergent and scrubbing with Çomet.
He runs through one or two throw-away roasts afterwards, before using it for roasting to drink.
I hope someone finds this helpful.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Ryan
Thanks for relaying that information from Tim, Barrie. I roasted close to 20lbs over the past two weeks for Christmas presents and gatherings, so I think I'm already due for some more cleaning! I'm going to try the scrubbing with Comet again to see if I can get some more of the black stuff off.

Steve Egge
I found the metal divider / tumbler inside the glass drum to pop out reasonably easily by using a common table knife as a pry bar on each of the bent over ends.

Just be careful to put it back correctly .. on my first try I had it in backwards and the chaff "window wiper" was on the wrong side Grin and I had to take it apart again and turn it 180. Also the metal has to fit in the groove on the far side correctly to allow it to seat completely so the door can close all the way.

Good Idea about the overnight soaking and scrubbing the metal divider/tumbler.

Having fun with the roasts ... haven't had it a month yet and am amazed with the different tastes from the varietals.

Steve
Santoker Rev 500, Baratza Vario-W, HG-One, Bunn Trifecta MB, AeroPress, Londinium I

matusgreats
Ryan wrote:

Thanks for relaying that information from Tim, Barrie. I roasted close to 20lbs over the past two weeks for Christmas presents and gatherings, so I think I'm already due for some more cleaning! I'm going to try the scrubbing with Comet again to see if I can get some more of the black stuff off.
Nice thread to ask pretty simple question. I do have pending cleaning task and I need your advise to use right chemical and tool for cleaning. Which do you think I must use?

matusgreats
matusgreats wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Thanks for relaying that pest control brisbane information from Tim, Barrie. I roasted close to 20lbs over the past two weeks for Christmas presents and gatherings, so I think I'm already due pest control gold coast for some more cleaning! I'm going to try the scrubbing with Comet again to see if I can get some more of the black stuff off.
Nice thread to ask pretty simple question. I do have pending cleaning task and I need your advise to use right chemical and tool for cleaning. Which do you think I must use?

Still waiting for some replies.

erik82
Just use Cafiza for the divider and mild soap for the rest of the drum. Don't use Cafiza on the drum!!! Just take the divider out and clean it seperately.

I had a pretty big coffee oil stain on the inside of the drum and a green scrubby worked perfect for that without scratching or damaging the glass of the drum.
Olympia Cremina 2013, HG one 83mm #0083, Gene Cafe.
Also Zassenhaus grinder, Chemex, Abid Clever Dripper, Kalita Wave, Aeropress, Hario Buono, Bodum Cafetiere and Bialetti Mokapot

ciel-007
erik82 wrote:

... Just use Cafiza for the divider and mild soap for the rest of the drum...

TSP is very effective, and it's cheaper than Cafiza.
Also, 0000 steel wool will clean glass without scratching it.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Ryan
I had pretty good luck cleaning the very dirty drum interior (both metal and glass parts) using Comet, a scratch-free scouring pad, and a lot of elbow grease. I couldn't get it all, but it was a massive improvement from the condition I bought the GC in.

I probably won't do this again unless I really absolutely think I have to, because it's a bit of work and I felt like I had to throw out a couple of batches after cleaning to be safe. I'm guessing it only got as bad as it did because the previous owner may have hit "3rd crack" a time or two.

Jump to Forum: