Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,242
Newest Member: judionline1
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First cracks relation to chaff
Barrie
I use soundAMP R with my iPad and it is pretty good, It has crude frequency filtering, and there is a PC/Android version.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundamp-r/id318126109?mt=8

Simagic: Would you please post the website for your microphone/amplifier?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Barrie
I have just gone back over the messages in this thread and realize that there may be a misunderstanding over what is required to hear the high frequency of first crack. The problem is that if one cannot hear high-frequency sounds, it does not help a heck of a lot to amplify them. They are still at a frequency one cannot hear. It is a bit like shouting at a deaf person - sometimes they still cannot hear you well, even if everyone else in the room shuts up. thumbdown
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

SportyandMisty
I've been roasting with a GC for about 4 years. I had a ton of difficulty hearing 1st crack. I don't wear hearing aids - yet (pushing 60 and too many rock concerts as a kid).

Here's what I do. I don't use the chaff collector anymore - ever. I roast outside - always. In the summer in Las Vegas, I roast in the morning (say, 6:30am) in the shade. Ambient air temp can be in the 80s.

In the winters (ski season), I'm up in the mountains in Utah where it is cold. I usually start my roast in the heated garage (about 45 to 50 degrees), and once chaff starts to be ejected, I open the garage door & pull the GC outside for the finish. I usually roast in the afternoon when the outside temp is in the teens during the winter - say 4pm

The wind blows the chaff away in both cases.

I can reliably hear both first crack and second crack.

I've wondered if there is a backpressure issue (that is, the collector provides some backpressure that is optimal for the roast) but my results seem to be fine.

oldgearhead
I don't think you will see much chaff with decaf beans.
Especially SWP Kenya's. The last bach of those I got in are a tic below 8% moisture, and first brack sound like second crack.
No oil on my beans...

Jump to Forum: