Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,587
Newest Member: Boki
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe question
DaveG
best post

I haven't been around in a while, so hello! I've had my Gene Cafe for about 5 years now and I've replaced two heaters. No problem, did it myself. Currently my GC is not getting to 482, stalling around 365. It sounds like tthe thermostat is kicking it off and on like I've set it to 365. Has anyone else had a similar problem. I might be all wet on this one and it's just that it needs another heater unit. Any help is appreciated on this one.
Is there a thermostat that you ever replace in the GC?
Thanks!
Edited by ginny on 11/02/2012 8:46 PM
Yama & Gene cafe

John Despres
Hiya, Dave!

Sounds like perhaps your air flow may be impeded.

How often do you roast?

Two things to check -

1, Is your chaff collector clean? If you don't clean it regularly, the internal screen may be clogged. Take it apart and scrub it with some Simple Green.

2, The screen over the intake fan may be clogged. Just vacuum that. I've removed mine altogether.

There are two sensors and they are noted here. If you've replaced your heater twice, you've replaced one of them twice already, providing you bought the whole assembly.

https://docs.google.com/present/view?...66gvz529c3 Click through the document to the last page - Page 23

It's possible the exhaust sensor is damaged, but I doubt it...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
ginny
Hi David:

I would agree with John; clean out the scum build up. It is amazing what you need to clean you simply don't see...

let us know because we clearly will offer other options...

rockon

thanks for coming by and your question is a really good one.

-g

DaveG
Thanks all! I'll do that right away.
Yama & Gene cafe

DaveG
Ok, this will defy logic, but here it is.
I thooroughly cleaned the chafe collector, vacuumed the bottom of the unit, cleaned the drum, this morning. Started roasting about 15 min. ago and noticed the same problem. GC spent 12 min. at 300, moved the temp to 482, it stalss at 460 and I hear that sound like the thermostat is keeping it from going higher. I get frustrated and tap, tap with my finger on the temp button which immediately makes me feel very stupid because it goes into cool-down. Not knowing what elase to do I unplug the GC.
When I plug it back in and set it on 482 it ramps up to 482 like a shot and all is good. Unbelievable huh? We'll see what happens next batch..
Yama & Gene cafe

gene
Sorry about the quote marks. I do exactly like Ginny says. Insert the quote, highlight it, and press the quote icon. Sorry, Its me I'm sure.

Dave said

I get frustrated and tap, tap with my finger on the temp button which immediately makes me feel very stupid because it goes into cool-down. Not knowing what elase to do I unplug the GC.

Dave mine does the same thing. Cruising along just before first crack somewhere around 10-11 minute mark, showing 433 or whatever and temp plummets. Couple small taps on top of GC on right side above heating element and it spurts back to correct temp.

Good to see mine is "normal".
thanks

gene
Hey Thanks Ginny. First time its ever worked for me.

Sorry about the quote marks. I do exactly like Ginny says. Insert the quote, highlight it, and press the quote icon. Sorry, Its me I'm sure.

ginny
gene,

ya did great, once you do it once or twice it's very easy. if you select your text first
simply click the quote and drop it in...

any other things like that come up for you just shout out to one of us and we will get ya fixed up...

Roflmao

ginny

Jump to Forum: