Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Which is worse: my homeroast or canned coffee?
Lawnmowerman
Ive lost my roast mojo! Or did I? After getting too many stalled roasts with my breadmaker I put it down for major overhaul. Have been using an unmodified p2 and been less than satisfied lately. Not what I remember from before. Its not baked, scorched, charred, grassy, smoky. Just bitter. I suggested that maybe it was the bean quality and maybe we could try Sweet Marias. My wife said you are not getting ~~~~from Sweet Marias till you fix your roast! So, to help us be objective, we each did the unthinkable. My wife bought a can of hills bros. I bought a half pound of beans at the place i get my shots at. Old sumatra beans. Results: my wife dug up a not in use mr coffee and after cleaning it, brewed a pot. The house was filled with a ghastly stench from the resulting brew. At the same time I was preparing a pot of manual pour over with the beans i had purchased. The resulting brew was simply horrid. We gave them both to the next door neighbor.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Lawnmowerman
I brewed some of the homeroast we had remaining. The result: not so bad after all. Not good,but not as bad as the other two immediate options.

Koffee Kosmo
Let me start to explain the importance of resting / degasing beans after roasting

The freshly roasted beans release gas and a rest of 5 to 10 days is recommended
This gas is acidic and may be contributing to the bitter taste
I recommend a one way valve container

Regional flavours also have a bearing
Indonisian beans can have a funky earthy to industrial flavour profile

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Lawnmowerman
I do appreciate a post roast rest, but my wife and i both agree that what we have is not a rest issue. Am still looking forward to getting the breadmaker back up. Larger batches enable me to let it rest longer. What is an industrial flavour profile?

Koffee Kosmo
The several that I have tasted in cupping sessions is a profile to my tastebuds

As observed
metallic in nature more in the vein of cooling hot metal in water after welding

KK
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

snwcmpr
How is your water?
What did you clean the Mr Coffee with?
"Old Sumatra Beans"???

Is that a mis-print?
I have heard 12-24 hours. SM suggest 4 days for Yemen. But, I have never heard 5-10 days rest. (But, I am a newbee)

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Lawnmowerman
12to 24 hrs is probably a good minimum rest period. At about 4 days my homeroast usually starts to taste really good, and thats when it runs out. Water to clean the dust off the mr coffee was tap well water. Mr coffee was used so as not to contaminate our manual pour over with preground anything. I have spared the details about the canned coffee. That bad. Now the old sumatra beans were purchased from a cafe owner who was busy making a sandwich and was most likely too happy to get rid of what she had in stock, andthe cashier/barista offerred up the expresso blend when I asked if they had single origin. Then i was asked by the cashier and the owner if I would like that ground. I can very honestly say that there are too few discriminating coffee drinkers around here! The ones that frequent this spot must believe they are adequately snobbish enough that they bypass sptarbucks. Not so much interest in improving quality.Still, my homeroast wasnt that bad after all. Now its gone. I need more!

oldgearhead
snwcmpr wrote:

.snip<

Is that a mis-print?
I have heard 12-24 hours. SM suggest 4 days for Yemen. But, I have never heard 5-10 days rest. (But, I am a newbee)

Ken in NC

I have never known a Mr. Coffee to get the water even close to the desired 202F for drip..

Rest - For me, it depends on if they are high-grown and how dark they are roasted..I usually roast just to 'full city', and rest 4-5 days. I will sometime do a 'Starbucks' roast (black&oily) just to make sure I still have plenty of power available. the dark roasts aren't too bad after a couple of days..
No oil on my beans...

snwcmpr
I can't keep coffee around long enough to rest 4-5 days.
Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Koffee Kosmo
Roasting ahead is the key
My roast session on the KKTO is in the range of 700gr to 900gr per roast
And this amount normally lasts about a week

When I start drinking the new batch after a few days of degassing the flavour profile generally developers as the days pass

Two to three days into the newly rested bag of beans is the time I roast the next batch

KK

Lawnmowerman
So I got a new bag of yirgacheffe. And the courage to roast 3/4 lb in my breadmaker even though the lid wasnt airtight. I draped a lot of foil over it and took a chance. @4min I hit 150c. @ 8.75min I hit 1st [email protected] 211c. I have always had problems stretching the roast. I made sure it was complete, got a good look at it through the new view window. [email protected] 10.5min @219c.

Lawnmowerman
Tomorrow, if im confident that i can roast again after my morning cup, will roast another 3/4 lb in the evening. When i get through about half of it, will roast another batch. Thats a pretty good way to keep a well rested stash. Heres hoping for a decent cup in the morning.

snwcmpr
When I start drinking the new batch after a few days of degassing the flavour profile generally developers as the days pass

Ok, I can see a few days.
If I drink some I roasted the day before, it has LESS than it will day 2 or 3.
The day after roasting, i vacuum seal in a mason jar.

And as for the original topic, it has been so long since I bought canned coffee, I don't have a way to compare it.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Lawnmowerman
I may have hit a stall! My cup tastes a little on the sour side. Im gonna ditch the router controller and not attempt to stretch the roast after 1st crack. Just let it finish on its own. If this coffee gets worse with age, I will still need to get my mojo back. But its not as bad as canned. Not by a long shot.

Lawnmowerman
I would love to hear from someone more experienced. Is souring caused by stalling? I dont know what else it could be.

DavidG
LMM,

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater! Yirgs and other Africans can have a sour patch in the first several days because of the great acidity that we all prize. Rest them for at least 4 days, and if the sour is still there then it's more likely a roast profile issue, age of bean issue or bean quality issue.

Cheers
DavidG
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

Koffee Kosmo
Sour notes fall in these categories

Other than regional
But my answer relates to Ethiopian beans
First - a lighter roast e.g. Not reached second crack will produce sour notes
Long rest time is recommended in the range of 10 to 14 days if making espresso
Other brewing methods - 5 to 10 days rest

Second - a darker roast that has reached second crack
Rest them a min of 5 days
Because beans from the African area are dry and hard you can stretch the roast to past 20 minutes
I personally like to stretch Ethiopians @ 14 / 16 min to FC + 6 / 8 min to SC
( based on espresso brewing method )

It's all t do with volatile oils and its chemical reaction when heat is applied
These oils need to find equilibrium again inside the bean and rest time does that

KK

Lawnmowerman
Thanks Dave.I hadnt heard that about Africans before. Always tasted a bit on the sweeter side right off the bat, but it was easy to tell that the flavor was undeveloped. Not sour. Im going to get a sample of roasted beans from my vendor. That will tell me if theres a quality issue, but I dont think thats the case. As for who has not had canned coffee lately, I tried it for everyone else. So you dont have to. And...my wife said the coffee I roasted tastes fine after what we put ourselves through.

Lawnmowerman
Paul, I missed your post earlier. Thanks forthe enlightenment. I usually cant do a roast longer than 12 min to second. Maybe my roaster can handle a bigger load now that Ive patched and sealed. The flavor has changed in the last day. Better.

Lawnmowerman
Has Anyone out there used already roasted beans to test roaster capacity? I know there wouldnt be an exothermic reaction, but I was wondering. Got a couple pounds i saved from bad roasts. I dont want to waste good beans trying to do something Ive never done before. And Paul, no concerns about baking with a 20min roast?

Jump to Forum: