Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,967
Newest Member: Rox
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Another KKTO builder - TO & motor ?'s
dalemon
First Post - Second Roaster - though my first was nothing but a humble popper

I am beginning to source to build KKTO style roaster. Trying to do this on the cheap to keep the budget & the wife happy.

After trying to be patient and hoping to pick up a turbo oven at a thrift store, I've given up. I thought I saw a thread on here somewhere about recommended turbo ovens. There are a few options in the local craiglsist here.

Decosonic $30 - claims to be new and never used
Hearthware NUWAVE Pro Infrared - $30
Galloping Gourmet - $55 - which I know seems to be the standard - but is the most expensive and about a 45 min drive.

What's my best bet on the TO's?

Also for the motor - would a bread machine motor suffice? They are a dime a dozen at the thrift stores here. I know the KKTO suggests power window motor or wiper motor but can't seem to find anything less than $20 at the local salvage yards. I know I'm probably being a cheapskate here, but if the wiper motor would be easier than modding the bread machine I'd be all for that.

Thanks for any help! Daran
Gaggia Coffee (FOWC), Pour Over, French Press, Hario Mini Mill Grinder, WearEver Popper/Roaster w slight mods

Koffee Kosmo
Hi Daran
Almost all turbo ovens are suitable but I recommend that you get the one with the most wattage
More wattage = more available heat

Regarding a suitable motor
Yes you can use or adapt a bread maker motor if you have the skill do do so

I recommend a window winder motor over a wiper motor as it is
1) slimmer 2) only has 2 wires to connect

The wiper motor has several intermittent speed settings and can be hard to connect without some knowledge

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
6eight
Daran, I had the same issue trying to find a turbo oven. Keep an eye on eBay as you can often find a deal. I grabbed a galloping gourmet for about 25 bucks including shipping. Recently I have come acrossed several in the thrift stores (now that I have one). Recently I purchased an American harvest TO and I like it better than the GG.

The bread machine will be a good start, but I can almost assure you that you will switch motors once you get things going. I picked up a surplus motor for under $20.
“I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.” – W.C. Fields

dalemon
Thanks KK & 6Eight for your input.

I did pick up the Decosonic today. It's only 1200 watts *sigh* but it was what was available with the exception of buying new.

I will heed your advice and head to a salvage yard on Monday and see what the best deal I can find on a window motor.

Earlier today I also picked up a large stock pot about 32cm diameter. Cost $4 at the thrift store. The TO fits perfectly.
No luck on a used colander. I'm now thinking though that I may rather go to walmart or Amazon and purchase a pasta cooker. I'm afraid the volume of the large stock pot will be a lot to overcome + I like the simplicity of the pasta cooker. Though now my pots will cost more than the TO.

Here are a couple of sets I've seen at Amazon:
http://www.amazon...im_sbs_k_4
http://www.amazon...im_sbs_k_1

KK - the more I've prepared for this build - I've been amazed at your willingness to help so many people and also at how many people have build a version of the KKTO. Speaks to the simplicity of it!

Daran
Gaggia Coffee (FOWC), Pour Over, French Press, Hario Mini Mill Grinder, WearEver Popper/Roaster w slight mods

Koffee Kosmo
Believe it or not the original roaster is still in use and working perfectly
You just need to build a false floor and even the sides and insulate them

For your 1200 watt TO I would go for 7 Lt in roast chamber volume ( for the 2 pot system that includes the extra height of the insert ) so don't forget to add it to the calculations ThumbsUp

The 2 pot system is a little easier to use but needs tighter specs and tolerences in engineering
The pot set on the lower link looks nice and my preferred of the 2 if that helps you out in deciding

I adhere to the moto of "give without expecting anything in return"

KK
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

dalemon
Ok - so total newb question here. I understand the principle of creating the insulated false bottom. Not sure how to build it?
I have some guesses. I did search around a bit on the forum as well as a couple of others - but didn't see any instructions, just that other builders had done it. Makes me think I'm missing something obvious, but I'd rather admit my ignorance and learn than spend my wheels trying to re-invent the wheel.

Daran

Koffee Kosmo
The original build can be found here - https://docs.goog..._0c97xkwgg

A false floor is simply a round piece of flat metal sheet, cut so it slides inside the pot, and it sits on a bed of sutable insulation to the required height

KK

dalemon
Thanks KK,

I went the simple route, for now - picked up a cooker set today at Bed Bath & Beyond. Got a power window motor for $5 from a local salvage yard. It was cheap because I had to rip the thing of the mini-van my self. Working on connecting the motor and power supply now. I unplugged the wiring harness from the motor while trying to get it out of the car door. If I can't get power going I may drive back the yard tomorrow to snag the harness/plug I left behind. Oops.

Excited to get this project going. My next batch of greens from Sweet Maria's arrive tomorrow. I'll have to roast a few batches on the popper before I'm done with the new roaster.

I think I have all the major components now. Except:
*Silicone tubing - I've been trying to source the high temp silicone locally so I'll probably order from US Plastics.
* Agitator & shaft
* insulation

Ready roast more than 90 grams!
Daran
dalemon attached the following images:
motor_power.jpg square_drive_motor.jpg

Lawnmowerman
Automotive spark plug wires are made from high temp silicone. I havent seen it mentioned on this furum. If you can find them used and they work, you could save a few bucks. Its good you got a square shaft motor and not one with a 9tooth gear. As for your terminals, try to see if push on terminals work, unless you have to go back to the scrap yard anyway for spark plug wires.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

dalemon
Thanks Lowermowerman,

After I posted last night I had that *duh moment with the terminals. I have some....somewhere, we just moved about a month ago and the garage has been the last to be organized. I think I will swing by the salvage yard and go ahead get the plug for the motor and try your plug wire suggestion. Can't hurt to try and see how they work. Though I wonder about the diameter being large enough and what they are rated at for heat.

Tony_C
dalemon wrote:

...Got a power window motor for $5 from a local salvage yard. It was cheap because I had to rip the thing of the mini-van my self. Working on connecting the motor and power supply now. I unplugged the wiring harness from the motor while trying to get it out of the car door. If I can't get power going I may drive back the yard tomorrow to snag the harness/plug I left behind. Oops.

Daran

Please post how you wire that motor up, I'm moving towards that stage soon.

JackH
Here is a link to a site I found to help with wiper motors.

http://www.scary-...wipmtr.htm

Check their page 2 for wiring details.

The site uses these motors to run Halloween props...

You have two speeds depending on how you wire it and what voltage you use. The pin locations vary with the different types of motors so you would have to search online. You will also need a power supply of about 12V 5A to run it.

I used a car wiper motor for a while but switched to an industrial gear motor.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Tony_C
KK, you've done it again! Thank you for the links and the ideas.

I picked up an 8 Quart S/S Steamer Pot last night for 20 bucks, and my next move was selecting a motor/power supply. Your 2 links have made it very easy to decide on a motor.

The Monster Guts prop power pack seems to have all of the parts necessary. But i would love to source everything locally. I found a quick connect for the power supply locally, but cannot get any technical info on the power supplies. I found an open box Targus cheap but it's showing 19.5v and does not give the wattage. Any idea if this would work, or is the 19.5v too much?

Tony_C
Tony_C wrote:
... i would love to source everything locally. I found a quick connect for the power supply locally, but cannot get any technical info on the power supplies. I found an open box Targus cheap but it's showing 19.5v and does not give the wattage. Any idea if this would work, or is the 19.5v too much?

Disregard the above question, I decided to just purchase the Monster Guts prop power pack instead. I wanted a new wiper motor anyways, but the local parts places all want a core or charge a core charge of 20 bucks or more if you don't have a core. So all in total with shipping from Cali to Mass, it was only 60 bucks with a couple days shipping. This way I know everything will match up and work.

joshuatilton
This thread is super helpful! Thank you for posting all of the links. I really could have benefited greatly from this a few weeks ago!!

Tony_C
The Monster Guts motor is going to work nicely. Brand new motor, and exact wiring for the brand new power supply.

Next will be figuring out a stir shaft, The motor will accept uses a star socket, so that's my starting point. Either using an extension or more than likely square stock.

Jump to Forum: