Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
snwcmpr

Total Members: 6,236
Newest Member: dale67
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Another 1.5kg or 3lb drum roaster from scratch
yamhill
Thanks for sharing your progress. The photo link above doesn't work for me.
Quest M3, IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, with TC4 logger, Quick Mill Vetrano, PIDed Rancilio Silvia espresso, Presso, Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip, Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon, bodum french press, aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders - and a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia rebuilder in pieces

JackH

I get a 404 error not found.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

oldgrumpus
I will try to fix the link asap.
Espresso: Franke Ecolino
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Old fire extinguisher with a crank, over a crab cooker, now building a drum roaster.

JackH
Post the corrected link when you get a chance and I will place it for you.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

oldgrumpus
Link to photos of the project:

https://goo.gl/ph...Da6K4wfqw5
Roaster: Old fire extinguisher with a crank, over a crab cooker, now building a drum roaster.

yamhill
Thanks for sharing your progress. I admire your metal working skills.
Quest M3, IMEX digirosto 1500, various popcorn popper roasters, with TC4 logger, Quick Mill Vetrano, PIDed Rancilio Silvia espresso, Presso, Chemex, Hario, and Melitta drip, Cory and Yama vacuum/siphon, bodum french press, aeropress; Mazzer Major, Hario mini, and PeDe Dienes grinders - and a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia rebuilder in pieces

oldgrumpus
I posted some photos of my silver brazing to attach the vanes to the drum sides.
https://goo.gl/ph...QBepy2Ka16

oldgrumpus
Here is a video of my gas setup. I need some help figuring out how to get a bigger flame that has less yellow. I know it needs more air, but how? Is my gas pressure to low? Why is it pulsing?

allenb
A few questions

Pressure entering the gas valve?
Max allowed gas pressure to your gas valve?
Burner orifice size?
Btu rating of the burner?
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
Pressure entering the gas valve has not been tested. I will do that, but until then, here are the specifications of the valve:

Specifications:

Manufacturer: White-Rodgers
Model # 36C03-333
Ignition Type: Standing Pilot
Gas Type: Natural or LP Gas (LP Conversion Kit Included)
Stages: 1
Opening Characteristics: Fast
Max BTU/HR @ 1" Pressure Drop: 230,000 (Natural); 372,600 (LP Gas)
Voltage: 24
Hertz: 50/60
Amperage: 0.230
Pressure Regulator Factory Set To (Natural): 3.5" W.C.
Pressure Regulator Adjustment Range (Natural): 2.5"-5.0"
Pressure Regulator Adjustment Range (LP Gas): 7.0"-12.0"
Maximum Pressure: 1/2 PSI (14.0" W.C.)
Inlet Size: 1/2" NPT
Outlet Size: 3/4" NPT
Pressure Tap Size: 1/8" NPT
Pilot Gas Connection: 1/4" Compression Fitting
Ambient Temperature Rating: -40° F to 175° F (-40° C to 79° C)

It seems more than adequate as far as the BTU's.

I don't understand the pressure specifications.

The burner is rated at 31,300 BTU's.

Orifice size is #120 (#61 drill).

allenb
If the orifice size corresponds to a #61 drill bit which is .039" diameter, you will be under powered by a large margin, see chart. This would also cause an insufficient draw of air which would be a possible reason for the yellow tips. If your orifice is sized to a #120 drill, you would have around 36,000 btus or 10.5 kw.
allenb attached the following image:
capture_11.png

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
Yes, that is correct. I put a pressure gauge on the output of the pressure regulator. Nothing measurable! The place I purchased it sold me the old style of connection and it is not compatible with my newer gas bottle. So I swapped the fittings so the new regulator would work. Now still no measurable pressure. On closer examination, I discovered it's a low pressure model. Just for my own education I looked at the one on the crab pot burner and sure enough, that one is a high pressure model, so it looks like I'm now on a search for a new regulator!

specialreserve
Great post I am following along. I am building one similiar to what you have going myself so your posts are helpful and I appreciate it.
Brian

Allenb Im in Louisiana too where you at?

oldgrumpus
specialreserve wrote:

Great post I am following along. I am building one similiar to what you have going myself so your posts are helpful and I appreciate it.
Brian

Hey Brian... Welcome! And thanks for the emotional support! :-) So glad that my posts are being helpful to you! Please let me know if you have any questions!

oldgrumpus
Problem with the burner (shown in video above) is solved. Got a new regulator.

allenb
The maximum input pressure rating for your white rogers gas valve is 1/2 psi. Anything over this can cause malfunctioning and/or dangerous conditions. If you aren't able to get the valves rated output pressure when sending it no higher than 1/2 psi (13.85" H2O), you should find out why this is the case and make corrections.
allenb attached the following image:
capture_12.png

CK
Wow, nice commercial grade machine! Using the link, I was mesmerized watching the drum with beans rotation test... Short and cool video. Great work, and good documentation. Thanks for sharing.

oldgrumpus
allenb wrote:

The maximum input pressure rating for your white rogers gas valve is 1/2 psi. Anything over this can cause malfunctioning and/or dangerous conditions. If you aren't able to get the valves rated output pressure when sending it no higher than 1/2 psi (13.85" H2O), you should find out why this is the case and make corrections.

Wow! Thanks for pointing this out allenb! So the answer is not to increase the input pressure, but to drill-out the orifice?

allenb
allenb wrote:

If the orifice size corresponds to a #61 drill bit which is .039" diameter, you will be under powered by a large margin, see chart. This would also cause an insufficient draw of air which would be a possible reason for the yellow tips. If your orifice is sized to a #120 drill, you would have around 36,000 btus or 10.5 kw.

Need to correct an error here. I mentioned that an orifice sized to a #120 drill would yield 36,000 btus at 1" H2O. I'm sure the #120 is .120" diameter, not drill #. In running the numbers through the btu calculator, we get 35,859 btus using a .120" diameter orifice at 1" H2O. .120" diameter equates to a #31 drill bit.

oldgrumpus
Thanks much! I'll drill it out and see what the effect will be!

Jump to Forum: