Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,473
Newest Member: benhome
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Enhancing My HotTop (3 of 5) - Chaff Handling:
ciel-007
This is the 3rd post in a series about modifications to my HotTop. The 1st post contained a list of potential annoyances with the roaster:
http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/vie...post_37257

The 2nd post talked about the absence of a bean mass temperature probe in the HotTop, and how to modify and improve the roaster in this regard.
http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/vie...post_37580

This time, I look at enhancements that help me cope with chaff. Capturing and disposing of chaff is a challenge for every home roaster. In the case of the HotTop, most of the chaff drops into a special tray below the roasting chamber; however, some chaff stays behind and accumulates in the roasting chamber above. During use, chaff will also get trapped in the front roasting window. Some chaff will eventually find its way into the back of the machine, where the motor and electronic components are housed. Chaff build-up can be messy, and might eventually encumber proper functioning of the roaster. After experiencing these annoyances first-hand, Randy Glass prepared some excellent instructions on how to go about cleaning all parts of the HotTop roaster:
http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

The HotTop owner’s manual recommends periodic dismantling of the roaster for cleanup. The most frequent cleanups involve removing the front of the roaster for cleaning inside the roasting chamber. That is also a good time to take apart the front viewing window assembly to dislodge the unsightly chaff that gets stuck between the glass and the steel back plate. In order to reduce the time and the effort required to clean the HotTop, I have come up with a couple of chaff handling enhancements:
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ciel-007
Chaff Tray Vacuum Tool

The first solution involves making a vacuum accessory to clean out the chaff (see photo) in the roasting chamber; having such a tool reduces the need to dismantle the front of the roaster (i.e. removing the front cover, unscrewing the bearing plate, and pulling out the drum):
ciel-007 attached the following image:
ch_1.jpg

Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ciel-007
Chaff Tray Vacuum Tool

To make this accessory, I took a spare ShopVac plastic crevice tool, and softened the long narrow tip with a heat gun. I then slipped a small aluminum tube inside the crevice tool. After the tube was in place, I pressed the soft plastic up against the metal tube with my hand (wearing gloves) to ensure a snug fit. I used a ¾” x 14” aluminum tube, and it projects about 9 inches beyond the plastic crevice tool. A metal tube this size is small enough to fit inside the chaff tray cavity of the HotTop, and long enough to reach all the way to the back of the roaster.
ch_2.jpg

ciel-007
Chaff Tray Vacuum Tool

With the aid of this vacuum tool, I now rarely need to dismantle the front of the roaster to manually remove the chaff inside the roasting chamber. Here is how I use the tool.

As soon as the HotTop has ejected the beans (while the beans are cooling), I remove the chaff tray and empty it. Then, I turn on my shopvac and insert the vacuum tool into the chaff tray opening, and suck out any remaining chaff. I make sure that the metal tube reaches all the way to the back of the roaster. Before pulling out the tool from the roaster, I angle the tube tip upwards until it touches the drum, and to the right until it touches the side of the roasting chamber; then I gently pull it back towards me. I do this for both sides of the chaff tray cavity; however, I pay special attention to the back right side of the cavity, above which most of the chaff tends to accumulate inside the roasting chamber.
ch_3.jpg

ciel-007
Chaff Tray Vacuum Tool

I use the vacuum tool after every roast, even while the HotTop is still hot. The metal tube is long enough to prevent any heat damage from occurring to the ShopVac’s plastic components. Once in a while, I do dismantle the front of the roaster in order to inspect the roasting chamber, and to wipe away residue on the window glass. So far, I am impressed by the effectiveness of the vacuum accessory in preventing chaff build-up inside the roasting chamber.

ciel-007
Front Window Gasket

Having to periodically dismantle the front cover in order to remove the unsightly chaff (see photo) that’s wedged between the glass and the back steel panel can be irksome.
ch_4.jpg

ciel-007
Front Window Gasket

I solved this annoyance with a simple bead of high temperature silicone (RTV). The idea was to fill the empty space (between the glass and the metal frame) in which the chaff falls into and gets stuck. I dismantled the front cover in order to access the glass and the retaining steel back panel. Before proceeding with the silicone, I applied a releasing agent (a thin coat of petroleum jelly) to all surfaces to which I did not want the silicone to adhere – that included the glass and front cover. In order to protect the 4 threaded screw holes inside the front cover, I inserted round toothpicks into the openings. I applied a silicone bead to the steel back panel as shown in the photo. I then gently repositioned the panel over the 4 toothpicks, the glass and front cover. I removed the toothpicks and partially engaged the 4 screws in their respective holes, taking care to NOT to squeeze out the silicone; I did this to ensure that I would have good gasket thickness after curing.
ch_5.jpg

ciel-007
Front Window Gasket

In order to accelerate curing, I placed the entire front cover assembly into my stove oven; at the bottom of the oven, I also placed a large cookie tray filled with hot water. I kept the oven in the 199F-212F for several hours; the hot moist environment acted as a catalyst to speed up the curing process. The next day, I tightened the screws to compress the new gasket before trimming the excess silicone with a sharp blade. Before conducting my first roast with the modified front cover, I disassembled the cover in order to clean all traces of the releasing agent (petroleum jelly) still remaining on the cover components using a solution of TSP.
ch_6.jpg

ciel-007
Front Window Gasket

So far, the high temperature silicone gasket works very well; it does indeed prevent any chaff from getting stuck between the glass window and the metal frame. The new gasket is also preventing air leakage that had been occurring earlier around the loose-fitting glass. As a result, there is an additional unexpected benefit; there is now less roasting residue accumulating on the glass than before the modification, and a reduced need to remove the front cover to wash the glass.

The combined benefits of the Chaff Tray Vacuum Tool, and the Front Window Gasket have greatly reduced the frequency with which I previously had to dismantle the HotTop for cleaning.

I now have more time to enjoy what I love most – Roasting!

Dan
Nice article! Informative and good use of pictures. woohoo

http://www.intactamerica.org
smico
Very nice articles ciel. Most people, like me, live with anoyances, but I like your thinking out of the box and fixing the issues.

There is food grade silicone adhesive that I will use for this mod:

http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/su50...-2282.html

smico
I have just bought food grade silicone from Ebay, the same company. Temperature up to 500F:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Food-Grade-RT...0668027353

ciel-007
I considered purchasing food grade silicone. However, I found articles that said silicone became inert after curing.

smico
This is good to know. I learned a lot from this post, especially about curing process.
When can we expect continuation of the series? I am curious to see how you resolved smoke issue with HT.
Cheers
Miroslav

smico
Ciel,
I was happy to see that Hottop with your Front window seal has been used for home roasting presentation on Coffecon 2013 at GCBC tent.
Picture is here (registration required):
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/...=15244.105
Cheers,
Miroslav
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario

Barrie
Missed this part of the series and am so glad to have found it. I have only done 30 roasts in the HT to date but, right from the start, the whole issue of having to use a screwdriver to remove the front pieces has been one of the few somewhat irksome negatives. I was going to go to the hardware store today to see if I could find thumbscrews of the appropriate size, but will postpone until I look into using the silicone trick, probably as an addition. To a prior Fresh Roast and GC user, it is very noticeable that this machine only sends a fraction of its chaff to its target tray? That little vac tool will be very useful.
Thank you, Ciel. ThumbsUp
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Randy G
The one high temp RTV that was food grade I found stated that it gives off formaldehyde at temperatures about about 320 degrees.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Randy G
The MSDS States:
"Comments: When heated to temperatures above 150 °C in the presence of air, product can form formaldehyde vapors. Formaldehyde is a potential cancer hazard, a known skin and respiratory sensitizer, and an irritant to the eyes, nose, throat, skin and digestive system."

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
smico
Thank you for the heads up Randy.
Ciel, is the one you are using less nasty?
Hottop B2 + HTC, Cremina 83, OE Pharos, Brewtus IIIR, Baratza Vario

fore
Thanks Smico for the heads up about this thread, and Thanks Randy for actually reading the MSDS. I confirmed that Randy's right about formaldehyde unfort! And, I looked at several "high temp food grade silicon" and they all emit formaldehyde. So I'm just going to scrape off what I have on there and I guess forgo this mod.

Here's what I looked at:
1. http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/emi5005-food-grade-adhesive-silicone-sealant-black-103oz-p-9732.html#DETAILS
2. even this "food grade high temp" is the same: http://www.etundra.com/Red_High_Temperature_Food_Grade_Silicone_Caulk-P1573.html
3. And Sil Bond, advertises as food grade, like the 6500, but none of their products are food grade.

If anyone knows of any non formaldehyde silicon, please post it here. Otherwise, I'll just do without till I can find some seal that's not going to give me cancer.

Jump to Forum: