Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
allenb

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: CSCCA
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Noobie at the Helm
Rod1425
Okay so first time roasting with the Gene Cafe.....could have went a little smoother, but i will have it all worked out on next roast. I should have set the timer for longer say 30 minutes. Once you have entered the cooling phase on the machine, is there no way to get back to roasting phase without shutting power off and starting over??????? I roasted some Colombian AA, cause it was free with machine. My machine gets hot fast. I reached what I think is Full City+ in 14 minutes. I heard second crack, never heard first of course. It was fun. Just need to get the beans on to my cooling station faster and glass thingamajig back in the roaster to cool. Let me see forgot to mention I did drying phase at 350 for 4 min., then cranked it up to 482 till about 10:30 into roast then backed it down to 456 to the 14 minutes.
Technivorm KB-741 | Gaggia MDF Grinder | Gaggia Classic | Gene Cafe

Rod1425
Wow, not one comment.

ginny
Rod:

you are new to the Gene Cafe, you just got yours, did an initial roast and sent us a flyer...

we are not all here, all of the time.

you did not sign up for the $500.00 , "we walk you through all of your first few roasts" special.

give the folks a chance here.

I don't know what time it is where you are but for me all day is busy.

I strongly suggest you keep track of your roasts for about 48 hours and post again.

ginny

rockon

Rod1425
okay.

John Despres
Congratulations on your first roast. Keep us posted as to your progress.

And have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
ciel-007
Congratulations Rod - you are off to a good start. Mastering the GC requires time, patience and meticulous note taking.

I never use the GC cooling cylce; I prefer dumping the smoldering beans from the pyrex drum into a separate home-made container attached to my shopvac for rapid cooling (don't forget your gloves!). I don’t think it’s possible to return to roasting once the GC has entered cooling phase; do you have an example of why you might need to do this?

For maximum flavor, you must know when first crack occurs; you must also reduce the heat setting to prolong the roast as long as you can ( 4 minutes if possible) before reaching second crack. In my experience, learning to manage the “flavor window” located between first and second cracks is an important step in maximizing flavor.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

hazbean
Yes it is possible to get the Gene back to roasting if it has started cooling due to running out of time.

You turn the "timer" knob so that some time shows, then the GC will stop cooling and start heating again.

I vaguely remembered doing this years ago when I first got the Gene, but I checked this afternoon to make sure.

To avoid this, I always set the timer to more time than I need (21 minutes in fact, but can't remember why 21).

As ciel says, experiment with that heat reduction step to get around 4 mins after 1C -- it takes a while, but is well worth it.

Have fun!

Rod1425
Thanks for all the great suggetions and tips. I am enjoying my first batch of coffee, it turned out quite nicely.

Jump to Forum: