Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: sheridansparks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Digital Thermometer
Rod1425
Would it help to have a digital thermometer and how would it help for roasting with my GC? Just asking, not sure if I am missing on additional equipment? Trying to plan ahead.
Technivorm KB-741 | Gaggia MDF Grinder | Gaggia Classic | Gene Cafe

John Despres
Hi Rod. No, not really. Given the off-axis rotation of the drum, there's no way to install one.

Once someone invents a tiny radio thermometer that can tumble with the beans, then we'd have a excellent tool!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
John Despres
I use an infrared thermometer to check the bean temp in the open drum before I dump them to cool, which is kind of fun. Unfortunately, they don't help much during the roast. They measure the temp of the glass and not the beans.

With direct line-of-sight as burner has, it's a valuable tool.

It's also fun to see if the sidewalk is hot enough to fry an egg.Grin

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
yantacaw

John Despres wrote:

I use an infrared thermometer to check the bean temp in the open drum before I dump them to cool, which is kind of fun. Unfortunately, they don't help much during the roast. They measure the temp of the glass and not the beans.

With direct line-of-sight as burner has, it's a valuable tool.

It's also fun to see if the sidewalk is hot enough to fry an egg.Grin

John

yes, or to pretend that you can measure the temp of your children (avoiding the eyes, of course). i use ir thermometer - sometimes - the way you do and i keep a digital kitchen probe in my cooling bucket to make sure that all is going according to plan.

my complaint about these is that they are not as instant as their name would suggest.

Jump to Forum: