Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Lump charcoal v. regular old fashioned
ginny
Any of you folks out there use lump charcoal?

I never have but understand it get hotter and and burns longer.

thoughts out there.

ginny

bbq

ciel-007
Lump charcoal lights quickly, burns nice and hot, and provides easy temperature control. On the other hand, briquets may be cheaper to buy , but produces more ash, and contain chemicals which affect the flavour of food. Most importantly, lump charcoal is all natural, and is used by all Kamado owners.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

atalanta
I do. Don't recall what got me started with it, but I've been using the stuff for years. It's more expensive than briquettes but I like them better.

I also either use an electric starter (which is a u-shaped piece of metal with a handle that you plug in) or a chimney. No lighter fluid. Kicked the lighter fluid habit when I ran out one time and improvised with newspaper. It smells better, tastes better, and doesn't explode LOL

I'm a charcoal snob Grin True, you can't "dial the heat" like you can with propane but I also don't use a thermometer when I'm roasting. I go by feel. Some things I don't quite get right, like pork - I worry too much about getting a puck that I tend to under cook. Though the chops I grilled sunday were pretty darn close!

bbq

troposcuba
I have not used lump charcoal, but I use natural wood sticks, branches, chunks etc. mostly mesquite and hickory. Some fruitwoods when I can get it. I like the flavor it gives me for smoking or grilling. Don't know if that is much of a contribution to this thread or not, just my two cents.
Sean

jkoll42
I've been using lump for years. It will burn hotter, but I think the flavor and the fact that it burns much longer are what hooks me. As above, no lighter fluid. I use a chimney.

Also, don't buy the "cowboy" charcoal you see in the big box stores. It's not very good - burns hot like the bowels of hell, just not for eternity. More like a half hour. The two I can get locally are Dragons Breath and Big Green Egg.

You wanna get gooky on charcoal? Yep, there is a lump review website. Can you say photos of charcoal pieces sorted by size?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Dan
Uh, I think lump charcoal IS the old-fashioned type. bbq Briquettes came about as a way to dispense charcoal dust as a fuel. It has some starch added as a binder.

http://www.intactamerica.org
ginny
Briquettes, that's what I meant but could not spell Briquettes that second...

I grew up with wood fire cooking on the beach, changed to Briquettes later since I was not on the sand and only got the gas grill when I went to Scottsdale to rent while I looked for a place in the mountains. I could not use charcoal in my apartment complex...

so now I have this Kamado style cooker and thought I would give the lump a try for it's many advantages.

thanks for the input and the gret link.

ginny

starting weekend early

beach tiki hut and bbq

in no particular order

ciel-007

ginny wrote:

... so now I have this Kamado style cooker and thought I would give the lump a try...

For true Kamado cooking, there's really no choice but lump.

Also, if you're new to Kamado cooking, consider reading the abundant How-To material that is readily available for the BGE.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

coffeeroastersclub

ginny wrote:

Any of you folks out there use lump charcoal?

I never have but understand it get hotter and and burns longer.

thoughts out there.

ginny

bbq

If I had a choice I would always use lump charcoal when doing a grilling. Never Briquettes; briquettes have too much crappola in them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briquette

But my first choice is just to walk the yard and pick up broken hardwood branches and bust them up into pieces that fit in my grill (not my BBQ smoker, however I do use them for kindling to start the larger pieces of wood).

Just fill up the area in your grill that you would normally put the charcoal, and light the wood using one of those electric heating element lighters. You accomplish 3 things this way: cleaning up the yard, saving $$$ by not having to buy charcoal, and finally the best: provides a wonderful taste to all foods you grill over it. ThumbsUp

Len
Edited by coffeeroastersclub on 06/27/2012 9:28 AM
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
Jump to Forum: