Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,473
Newest Member: benhome
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Enhancing My HotTop (1 of 5) - What’s Wrong With It Anyway?
ciel-007
best post

Enhancing My HotTop (1 of 5) - What’s Wrong With It Anyway?

Earlier, I posted a summary of my experiences with two popular home roasters:

http://homeroasters.org/php/forum/vie...post_36597

As explained above, I decided to upgrade to a HotTop, because of three important shortcomings with my previous roaster:
(1) I was having difficulty hearing the subtle sounds of the complex roasting process,
(2) I wanted to save some roasting profiles to avoid having to slave over manual controls, especially at pressing times when I was low on coffee but couldn’t devote the full attention required to produce a good roast.
(3) I needed to know how the temperature of the bean mass was unfolding… as the roast approached the first crack… and then as it was about to overstep into the second.
Roasting coffee turned out to be more delightful than I had imagined. However, I found that the above shortcomings were preventing me from fully experiencing the true “ joy of roasting ”.

Having a noisy roaster is annoying, and there isn’t much that you can do about it. However, that’s not the case for the HotTop – it’s quiet. Further, the used model I found (KN-8828P) is programmable. Although this HotTop was factory designed to address my two first constraints, that doesn’t mean it’s a perfect roaster. Like other home roasters, the HotTop has its share of weaknesses – the most important being that doesn’t address the 3rd shortcoming mentioned above, when it ships from the factory.

During the first few weeks of roasting with the HotTop, I made a list of the things that annoyed me about it, and searched for potential solutions. In doing so, I drew on the experiences of other HotTop owners, and especially on the exceptional contributions of Randy Glass. A great big THANK YOU goes out to Randy, and to others, for talking about their HotTop, and for sharing their ingenious solutions for making it a better roaster.

Based on my experiences so far, it seems that HotTop annoyances (and their eventual solutions) might arguably be grouped into four categories. In order to make the HotTop a better home roaster, and one that is more enjoyable to use, there is a need for enhancements in the following areas:

Temperature Monitoring: The HotTop comes with an internal environmental sensor that shows the temperature inside the roasting chamber. However, it doesn’t provide information about something that’s even more important – the actual temperature of the beans roasting in that chamber. Without this vital information, it is not only challenging to achieve great roasts, but nearly impossible to re-produce them in a consistent manner. In my opinion, the single most important enhancement to be made to the HotTop, is a basic modification allowing the roaster to monitor the changing temperature of the roasting bean mass.

Chaff Handling: Capturing and disposing of chaff is a challenge for every home roaster. In the case of the HotTop, most of the chaff drops into a special tray below the roasting chamber; however, some chaff tends to accumulate inside the chamber itself. Because of this, chaff gets trapped in the roasting chamber window, and some chaff will eventually find its way into the back of the machine, where the motor and electronic components are housed. Chaff build-up can be messy, unsightly, and might conceivably present a fire hazard in some instances. Chaff handling enhancements are required to address these annoyances.

Filtering, Smoking, and Venting: The HotTop has two filters that are intended to capture the smoke particles created during the smoldering roasting process. However, this design calls for the periodic purchase and replacement of the filters. Further, the fit of some components may allow smoke to escape from the roaster during use. Finally, there is no provision on the HotTop to allow easy venting of the exhaust gases away from the roaster, as is the case of the Gene Cafe for example. As a result of the above, there is a need for enhancements that lower the cost of filter replacement, that reduce smoking, and facilitate the venting of the hot gases emanating from the roaster.

Other Enhancement Needs? I’m sure other HotTop users could identify a few additional annoyances that require attention. For example, when doing back-to-back roasting, users may have to wait up to 20 minutes or so for the HotTop to cool down before proceeding to the next roast. Another example might be the lack of a tryer on the face of the roaster; a tryer is helpful in monitoring the roast, and in allowing samples to be drawn at various stages of the process for cupping. Enhancements directed at these, and other possible shortcomings, would further heighten the overall roasting experience with the HotTop.

With few exceptions, the above annoyances would apply to just about every home roaster on the market. However, the HotTop does stand out from other home roasters in one unique way. Perhaps the single most attractive feature about the HotTop is its relatively simple design - a basic design that has remained almost unchanged since the original KN-8828 was first manufactured over a decade ago. Because of this simplicity, it is possible for a typical HotTop owner, like me, to consider making small changes to his roaster - modifications that are capable of enhancing the roasting experience, and impacting on the excellence of the coffee it produces. In other words, taking a fine home roaster like the HotTop, and developing it into a roaster capable of yielding truly professional results. I hope to follow-up this post with several additional ones. In the follow-ups, I plan to delve into each of the above annoyance categories, and, with input from other HRO members, discuss which specific modifications are most likely to help other HotTop owners aspire to new levels of home roasting excellence.
Edited by ginny on 06/22/2012 1:10 PM
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

snwcmpr
I modified the lid on the chute by making a lid, same as the original. I didn't want to drill holes in the original. This was posted somewhere by someone else a long time ago.
Through those holes I put the 6" probe connected to a digital thermometer I got from Sweet Maria's.
That is how I read BMT, and it works for me.

I use an Urnex Full Circle cleaner with warm water to soak the filter overnight. I do this after 20 roasts. I have another filter, so it will be plenty dry by the time I need to replace again.

"That's about all I have to say about that."

Ken
Edited by ginny on 06/22/2012 1:10 PM
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ciel-007

snwcmpr wrote:

I modified the lid on the chute by making a lid, same as the original... I put the 6" probe connected to a digital thermometer... that is how I read BMT, and it works for me...

Ken, that’s really cool. In a day or so, I plan to post a follow-up to this thread showing modifications I made to my HotTop to measure beam mass temperature. It would be great if you could post photos of your moded bean cover in that follow-up thread as well.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

snwcmpr
Here is a picture of the BMT probe and chute cover. with my profile sheet.
I made the sheet metal piece as directed in other posts.
I then added the original plastic handle.

The profile sheet shows the new "BEAN DROP" of 375 and the previous profiles of bean drop at 350.

Ken
snwcmpr attached the following image:
coffee_roaster_mod_1-optimized.jpg

--------------
Backwoods Roaster

ciel-007

snwcmpr wrote:

Here is a picture of the BMT probe and chute cover... with my profile sheet.

Cool... I'm off to fetch my reading spectacles in order to decipher the keys to your roasting success.

snwcmpr
No secret to it.
100% till dry with (3) 30 seconds runs of fan @25%
Fan evacuates moisture, but not on constant to maintain heat rise.
70% till just before 1C with fan now @ 25%
then 100% till drop which is 435 - 445 depending on how I feel.

Works for me.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Jump to Forum: