Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: CSCCA
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe Scorching
John Despres
Best way to photograph your beans is take 'em outside or into a sunny room and use our universal light source.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
troposcuba
I agree John, unfortunately, since I live in Tucson, I usually roast at night during summer months to beat the real scorching heat of daytime. that does not afford the option of daylight pics.
Sean

John Despres
Hey, Sean, your beans won't keep until morning when the sun rises?

Grin

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
troposcuba
Nah, I have already put them to bed by then.:smiley-837.gif:
Sean

Barrie

synic wrote:

I can tell this is probably going to be one of those hobbies where it seems like you are saving money, but that's all lies :)

Oh, dear! You have discovered this?

Others may not be as badly (or so rapidly) bitten as me.

The early phases of an addiction:

Three months ago and after years of espresso brewing, I decided I would like to get into roasting, so I bought a Fresh Roast SR500. I easily justified this on the basis that I would be saving on the price of beans and would quickly recover the cost. Here was the first (but not disastrous) mistake. I had overlooked the loss of weight in the roasting process, and so one cannot compare the price of a pound of green beans with that of the same quantity of Peet's best.
I immediately liked the product from my new toy and so I bought a thermocouple thermometer to get a better handle on what was going on during the roast. This was quickly followed by a better scale for weighing beans. That was OK, I told myself, as I had some reward dollars on my Staples card. By this time, the hook was well buried and it was not long before I told myself I needed a Gene Cafe, selling the Fresh Roast on EBay. Of course, as most GC users know, this can be love at first sight and even more people know how out-of-control that can make a guy.
Of course, my thermocouple gadget was now redundant, but the accessory buying was not over. First, was an inexpensive length of flexible exhaust pipe to lead from the chaff collector to the stovetop exhaust "box." I "needed" a Kill A Watt to see what was going on with line voltage. I had put a voltmeter on the other socket of the same outlet with the GC running, but was not sure that it was showing me the correct information - it was! Quickly added were Mason jars, a surprising amount of green beans that seemed a necessity, and new apps for my iPad, to record the roasts (Roastmaster) and to amplify the sounds so that my hearing defect was not a barrier (SoundAMP R). Fortunately I already had earphones or they would have joined the line.
But here is the crowning symptom. I am drinking more espresso and becoming more critical. I wondered if that old superautomatic was really up to this? Perhaps not. I sold it on Craig's List and the upgrade arrived a couple of days ago. Where does all this stop? my wife asks. Shock

Of course, I can stop any time I want. :300ccCoffee.gif:
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ciel-007

Barrie wrote:

synic wrote:

I can tell this is probably going to be one of those hobbies where it seems like you are saving money, but that's all lies :)

... Three months ago and after years of espresso brewing, I decided I would like to get into roasting... I easily justified this on the basis that I would be saving on the price of beans and would quickly recover the cost...

Before I began roasting, I was buying these wonderful brown beans from a small local roaster renowned the excellence of his products. However, after just a few months of roasting, I am able to match those results. The most noteworthy difference between the beans I was buying from the local roaster, and those I am now roasting myself, can be summarized by the number “eleven”.

Eleven is the amount of dollars I am currently saving for each pound of coffee that I roast. At the rate that I am drinking coffee, the used roaster I bought, plus the cost of the simple modifications I made to it, will be paid for before the end of the year.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

hazbean
My spreadsheet tells me that I've put 165kg of green through various roasters over the last few years. That's about 140kg roasted, with not much wasted as it pretty well all gets used. At savings around $20/kg, that's about $2800 saved.

Which just about covers the various roasters etc etc etc that line the slippery slope. Oh well.

Barrie

ciel-007 wrote:

Barrie wrote:

synic wrote:

... Three months ago and after years of espresso brewing, I decided I would like to get into roasting... I easily justified this on the basis that I would be saving on the price of beans and would quickly recover the cost...

Before I began roasting, I was buying these wonderful brown beans from a small local roaster renowned the excellence of his products. However, after just a few months of roasting, I am able to match those results. The most noteworthy difference between the beans I was buying from the local roaster, and those I am now roasting myself, can be summarized by the number “eleven”.

Eleven is the amount of dollars I am currently saving for each pound of coffee that I roast. At the rate that I am drinking coffee, the used roaster I bought, plus the cost of the simple modifications I made to it, will be paid for before the end of the year.

Well, my calculation was that I was saving about $9/lb. Then I realized that, when I roasted a pound of green beans, I ended up with anything up to 20% loss in weight, So I was really paying about $7.50 for a pound of dark-roasted beans, not $6. Not a big deal until you get to Hazbean's numbers.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ciel-007

Barrie wrote:
... So I was really paying about $7.50 for a pound of dark-roasted beans, not $6. Not a big deal until you get to Hazbean's numbers.

It may be of interest to add that I did not start roasting my own coffee in order to save money. Rather, I started roasting with the intention of roasting better beans than I was able to buy from my local roaster. Most of the time, my local roaster had excellent brown beans, and I didn’t mind paying a high price for them. However, the quality of the local roaster’s results was NOT consistent; I did mind paying a high price for a roast that was not as good as the previous one.

Although I did not start roasting my own coffee in order to save money, I did use the “money saved” rationale to justifly my spending a much higher amount in order to buy a high quality home roaster.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Jump to Forum: