Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: CSCCA
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe Scorching
JackH
I don't know anything about the Gene Cafe but anytime I have scorched beans it was due to a high preheat temperature (I preheat my turboCrazy roaster to 300F, lower for "softer" beans such as Sumatra or Brazil).

The other cause of scorching is poor agitation of the beans, they sit too long and get burned by the hot surfaces. In my case I now use a faster speed and a much better agitator paddle. Your case may be a restricted air flow. Again, I know nothing about the Gene Cafe.

synic
Ok, just ran it cold (74F) to 482F empty, it took 5:54.

I'll wait until it cools before I try anything else.
-- synic

John Despres
One correction - I am not a pro roaster. Unless G was speaking about another guy named John, in which case I'll shut up.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
ginny
John:

those were some of my better posts on the subject. what's a lady to do...

oh well,

you are the john I was speaking of!!!

hahahhaRoflmao

under my

beach

John Despres
Adam, That's a help. You have a very fast roaster and I want it. I'll send my address.

You should be able to do some serious profiling with that one. It's a monster.

Okay - Next roast -

Preheat your empty drum to 300F for a minute or so longer than it takes to reach 300F

E stop it and add the beans to the drum, reinsert.

Start your roast with a 5 minute warming stage.

At 5 minutes, bump to 445F

At 10 minutes, bump to 465F.

End the roast and cool at your pleasure.

Keep a detailed log and let us know how it goes.

This is a generic profile to begin getting a handle on your beast.

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres
Here's some required reading. There will be a test later.

http://www.jimseven.com/2006/06/20/ma...elisation/

http://www.roastmagazine.com/educatio...asting101/

There's more. In particular, four by Willem Boot, but I can't find them at the moment.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

synic
Ok I tried a Rwanda and this is how it went down:

Preheated to 300
Ran on 300 for 5 minutes and then bumped it to 444
7:00 - 402F
11:00 - Yellowing
11:10 - 440F
11:50 - 1C ... maybe? It's hard to hear, but I think this is when it started
12:00 - bumped to 465
13:00 - started cooling.

This is the result... the beans are extremely hard, but don't seem to be an awful color. Taste kinda green still, very strange -

synicworld.com/media/rwanda.jpg

I thought they looked ok, but now I'm having second thoughts. Should they be so hard?

I tried a Bolivia too, because at first I thought the Rwanda looked ok, and here's the log for that:

Preheated to 300
Ran on 300 for 5 minutes and then bumped it to 444
7:00 - 404F
11:00 - yellowing, 437F
11:40 - 440F
12:30 - 1C, but again, I can't be sure about this.
13:30 - started cooling.

Again, the beans are extremely hard like rocks, but they sorta look ok...

synicworld.com/media/bolivia.jpg
-- synic

John Despres
Under roasted.

I think you ended to soon. First crack lasts about 2 minutes and what you have here are two batches approaching cinnamon roasts.

For the moment let your roast continue on for 4 minutes past the start of first crack.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

synic

John Despres wrote:

Under roasted.

I think you ended to soon. First crack lasts about 2 minutes and what you have here are two batches approaching cinnamon roasts.

For the moment let your roast continue on for 4 minutes past the start of first crack.

John

Welp. Those Rwanda look so dark I thought I had gone way too far, which is why I pulled the Bolivia so early. Whoops.
-- synic

John Despres
Very dark, but still very hard?

Hmmm.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Okay use the first profile again, but go three minutes past first crack.

The picture shows some very dark and some light beans.

Let's stick to one bean type for now rather than throwing variables into the mix.

How much did you roast?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Is there chaff remaining on about half of the beans?

Next roast - I'm changing things up...

Preheat 300F
Warm at 300F for five minutes
Bump to 465F at five minutes
Drop to 445F one minute into first crack
Cool three minutes past the start of first.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

John Despres
Good thinking, Burner.

400 degrees on the stovetop is quite different than 400F in a Gene Cafe. The temp readout is the drum temp, but not the bean temp. I tried a batch once setting the temp at 400F. It took something like 26 minutes to reach first crack and they were the flattest beans I've ever tasted.

The air in the drum may reach 400F, but the beans lag pretty far behind. First takes place at roughly 400 degrees in just about every roaster, however first occurs at anywhere from 460 to 475F in the GC.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

ciel-007

synic wrote:

11:50 - 1C ... maybe? It's hard to hear, but I think this is when it started

It's almost impossible to achieve great results without hearing the subtle sounds of the roasting process. Are you using any aids, for example a stethoscope, to help you monitor the sounds?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

synic
Success!

I did the rest of the Rwanda, 221 grams with your second roast schedule, John. I definitely heard the cracks much better this time around, at 11:45 minutes. I don't know how long it was going on before I noticed it... but there were some pretty big pops for sure.

I let it go to 15 minutes and hit cool, and what I think I have is a FC or FC+ roast here. I'll get some pics in a few and make a better detailed log after work.

Thanks!
-- synic

John Despres
Congratulations!!! Now you have a base point to bein tinkering from.

Unfortunately with the off-axis rotation of the Gene Cafe drum, there's no way to get a thermometer into the beans.

Someone will figure it out one day.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

troposcuba
John is right. In fact, that is the only gripe I have with the GC. I have had dreams of somehow putting a radio signaling remote thermometer in the drum somehow and reading temp that way. Have not really found a way to do this though.
Sean

synic
Ok, two roasts, both preheated to 300F and then a drying phase at 300F for 5 minutes:

This is a Brazil Fazenda:

5:00 - set to 465
6:00 - 366F
7:15 - 410F
9:00 - 444F - starting to yellow
11:00 - 465F, 1C starts
12:00 - Set to 444
13:10 - unit actually gets down to 444F
17:00 - cool

And the result:

lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ALTJBEWVdZs/T9AIvN0M6YI/AAAAAAAARXM/itbR2xI7Wd0/s800/IMG_20120606_183603.jpg

It doesn't look super even, but at least it matches results I was getting in the FreshRoast. My camera doesn't catch the colors very well..

Bajawa:

5:00 - set to 465F
7:00 - 400F, just barely starting to yellow
11:18 - 462F
13:00 - 1C starts, I think.
14:00 - set to 444F
18:30 - start cool cycle

and the result:

lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jUWUxTJpIdo/T9AIkfulU_I/AAAAAAAARW0/wBw3JOcLuOc/s800/IMG_20120606_192035.jpg

The beans are a bit darker in real life. This roast was much more even, and the beans expanded a lot more. These beans also roasted more evenly in my FreshRoast.
-- synic

John Despres
Excellent, Adam!

You're on your way! Now the tweaking begins. Keep extensive notes with every roast and compare.

Have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

troposcuba
Hey synic, those last two pics look like you are getting better results now. The camera flash/color of roast thing is tough. I actually put a couple pics of each roast in the roasting log at home, and found that I need to use the same settings on the camera in the same location/lighting conditions for those pictures to have any kind of meaning for comparison. Another thing that may help is, like John said, keeping a log or notes or some record is a huge help. You can go back and repeat it if you liked the results or tweak it to fix minor (or major) mistakes in the roast. Look around here in the downloads and you can find some good logs. There is also some apps for smart phones out there if you have one and software for pc's that will do some pretty cool logging etc. In the end, enjoy the coffee. That is what it is really about.
Sean

Jump to Forum: