Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: sheridansparks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The second batch
Barrie
I am wondering what people do in starting a second (or third or fourth...) batch with their GC?
I now pre-heat to 300 for 5 minutes, put in 226g of beans and quickly put back the container, then start the roast at 482. I have just about got the routine down pat, after a few false starts over hearing/not hearing the cracks.
What I have not got straight is what to do with the next batch. The container will be warm, but not as warm as with a 5min-at-300 pre-heat. Should I be doing a preheaat at 300 for a shorter time? What do YOU do? BBQ grill
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
Barrie:

that is yet another thing you will learn but not until you make multiple
mistakes.

you know the heat you want from your roaster, the challenge now is to manage that by touch/feel, outside/inside temp or attempting to measure the inside glass/drum temp by some other means which you cannot do because it changes every second.

when you get to know your roaster a bit more you will know when you can dump more beans in...

having used both roasters I can tell you what I did at first was to wait until the roaster got a bit cool, start it and it would simply take less time to reach the temp I wanted to start with...

Should I be doing a preheat at 300 for a shorter time? What do YOU do?

I am not sure why you ask this since what you want is the temp you want to begin your roast with - if it happens in 3 minutes or 9 minutes it makes no difference.

your roaster is smarter, it knows how hot it gets...

depending on your room temp, fan use yadda, yadda let the machine tell you when unless you want to push the roast and we all do that around here.

no given barrie, sorry.

tiki on it's way to help

John Despres
Ginny has pretty much nailed it.

I run another preheat, but not a long. After a full roast, the entire roaster is hot, not just the drum. Feel around and you'll see what I mean.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Barrie
Yes, maybe the answer is very simple. What I was thinking was that the temperature that is shown on the GC is a one-spot measurement, I think of the temperature at the outlet? It doesn't really tell you to what extent the whole sheebang is at equilibrium.
To my mind, it would be a good idea to have the metal plate in the container at the desired temperature, for example. Also, the "total heating pathway" temperature will determine how much the temperature drops when taking the container out, putting in the beans, then putting the container back and restarting. I don't think the spot digital temperature gives a very good indication of that. The first-batch pre-heating reaches a reading of 300 at about 3 minutes, but I leave things in place for a further two minutes with the thought that I am ensuring better heating throughout.
It was those considerations that prompted my question, and I may have just answered it: start a pre-heat cycle and leave it going for a couple of minutes beyond the point at which the digital temperature reaches 300? Grin
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Jump to Forum: