Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Tell me how I am doing
slr001
Just a follow up. The roast described above in post 16 turned out great. Easy to grind, and brewed up nicely.

Today I roasted what I think will be my best batch to date. I used an iPhone App to listen for 1C and it helped a bunch.

I was trying an espresso blend; 50/25/25 (Total pre roast of 240g) (post weight 200g)
120 g Brazil Auction Lot -Bastiao Nunes Yellow Bourbon
60 g Ethiopia Grade 1 Chelelektu Yirga Cheffe
60 g Guatemala Antigua Retana Red Bourbon
(All from Sweet Marias)

Profile was:
300f - Preheat
482f - 10m (was 1 min past max temp, see below)
476f - 1C+30sec
1C - 10:30m
trying to slow down 2C
471f - 11:00m
465f - 12:00m
EOR 16:00m

When I pulled at 16:00 I had just started to hear 2C. When I dumped them they were cracking like crazy, hopping around on a cookie sheet like mexican jumping beans :) Nice and dark with a slight oily sheen starting.

Actual temps ramped as follows
316f - 1m
363f - 2m
392f - 3m
415f - 4m
430f - 5m
446f - 6m
458f - 7m
471f - 8m
480f - 9m
482f - 9:11m

Appreciate all of the help here. I feel like I almost have the hang of it.

ciel-007

Today I roasted what I think will be my best batch to date. I used an iPhone App to listen for 1C and it helped a bunch.

Congratulations on your results. Might you be able to point me to a link that explains the steps (and possible accessories?) that are required to use an iPhone to monitor cracking please?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

slr001

ciel-007 wrote:

Congratulations on your results. Might you be able to point me to a link that explains the steps (and possible accessories?) that are required to use an iPhone to monitor cracking please?

Sure... I posted in Barries thread also, but here you go.

I used "uListen Sound Amplifier" from the App Store. It is something I had downloaded a year or so ago, so I tried it. There are several others in the App Store that might be better, but since I already had this I tried it.

Somewhere I read that you want headphones without the built in mic, which makes sense since you want the phone mic to be your "pick up"

The app had a volume setting, and a sensitivity setting. It essentially just acts as a basic amplifier, making all the sounds the mic pics up louder.

Putting the mic of the iphone right next to the drum I was hoping to pick the cracking up. But really all I hear were the same sounds of the GC and the beans hitting the glass as they tumbled.

I then put the mic of the iPhone pointed in towards the exhaust port, and I could hear nothing but the cracking. Still not real loud, but what helped was it wasn't mixed with a bunch of other noises.

As I mentioned in the other thread, WARNING... The heat might be bad for your phone. It got pretty hot.

Just plug in basic ear buds... launch the app, point it at the sounds you want to hear.

ciel-007
Thanks mate! I too was thinking that your approach might be a consideration for Barrie.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Jump to Forum: