Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,242
Newest Member: judionline1
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
portafilter issue
ginny
what is the first thing that comes to mind if I told you that my espresso machine just started to leach/leak come out over the top of the basket and not go through the grounds.

1/2 does and 1/2 is coming out over the back of the basket.

very strange, dose it the same, grind is the same?

could pressure affect this issue at all?

I am running around 11 bar.

thoughts please.

-ginny

:(

Koffee Kosmo
The round head gasket or seal needs to be replaced
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
jkoll42
Yep - most likely the group gasket. Ha it ever been replaced?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ginny
I thought about that but I cannot see it or find it. there is a 6mm hex nut right on the top of group head, I took it out , perhaps I did not pull down hard enough.

I have been looking for a manual. maybe a bit more pull with the tools will get it off.
no it has never been replaced. it was in storage for a couple of years. it is almost like new.

enlarge the photo and you can see the hex nut, it's about 6mm.

[img][/img]
ginny attached the following image:
1120xlarge.jpg

jkoll42
Use a flashlight and look from underneath between the center shower screen and the outer mushroom of the group. There should be a black gasket. Thats what gets hard eventually and leaks.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ginny
I am sure it is dried out, for some reason the gasket never entered my mind!!
go figure.

I am constantly replacing gaskets on boiler pumps and junk in the greenhouse and never though about it on the espresso machine.

thanks, I will go look and I am sure now that you guys are right. I feel like a dummy.

-g
Roflmao

ginny
it's the gasket all right. any ideas how to get it out? it is hard as a rock. I don't know if it's a poly material or what.

I just realized that the gasket holds the screen on so I will get out Grandma's old 10 inch ice pick and go to work.

thanks again for the speedy reply.

ginny
Edited by ginny on 05/17/2012 3:05 PM

jkoll42
You can usually drive a screw into the gasket and pull out with pliers. If it is super hard you might need a skinny chisel and patience. Not sure about the screen for that machine. Is it a E61 group?
-Jon

ginny
yes it is a Faema E -61 . so I will replace screen and gasket.

the screw trick sounds like a great idea as well..
thanks again.

-g

just found this

http://coffeetime...oup-gasket
Edited by ginny on 05/17/2012 3:29 PM

Koffee Kosmo
If your screen is the same as the one on the link then it's a piece of cake
Use a spoon and lever it to catch the roll on the screen and fulcrum on the head
And both the screen and seal come off together
The seal must be fitted the right way
Look closely and you will observe that it as two finishes on top and bottom
One has a sharp flat edge and the other has a rolled or angled edge
The side with the angled edge goes inside the head and the sharp edge faces the portafilter

Fitting it is easy as well
Place the seal fitted to the screen on / in the portafilter and lock it in all the way home
KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
JimH
KK has the optimal solution, a little lever action from varying directions with gradually increasing pressure will release most E61 portafilter gaskets. If the gasket has attached itself to the brass of the grouphead, then you will probably need to use the screw method. Just be careful not to damage the surface of the groove the gasket fits into, that can lead to some rather annoying pressure leaks.

The screen should be reusable unless it is damaged, just simmer it in backflush detergent for a little while and all the crud should come off.

When you put in the new gasket, a little food safe grease on the upper surfaces will make it easier to take out next time. E61 groupheads collect a fair amount of coffee sludge above the screen even with regular backflushing, so taking off the screen on a regular basis to scrub should get you a better cup of espresso.

ginny
cool, thanks.

this one will be a pain to remove I think. even though it is not a well worn machine it is the original seal so it's 5 years old.

-g

JimH
My machine stays on 24/7, so it needs to be changed every 3 or 4 months. I've removed some portafilter gaskets that were hard as rocks and completely carbonized from some machines I fixed, the secret is just to work slowly and carefully so you don't damage the grouphead.

ginny
Thanks Jim, I know this is not going to come off easy regardless of the use it has had, it is an old gasket, original to machine, 6 years old maybe.

ginny

I will post pictures.Grin

jkoll42
Now that's an old gasket! This thread reminds me that I really should order some gaskets so I have extras. Ginny - if you are ordering gaskets, you may want to order a shower screen also just in case you bang up the old one trying to take it off.
-Jon

ginny
right you are, I am ordering 3 gaskets and 2 or 3 screens. am going to look at the rest and see what else I may need. have them on hand.

this machine new got too much use. I got busted and all went into storage for a while and was packed until after I left Scottsdale and moved to the boonies.

that's a whole other story!!

life is always exciting...

-g

Roflmao

ginny
OK, took me all of 1 minute to remove the screen and along with it the gasket. using a wash cloth against the back of the tool, Ace paint can opener, I carefully worked my way around. off it came without any trouble.

the gasket was in fact broken. new ones and screen on order.

[img][/img]
ginny attached the following image:
gasket.jpg

atalanta
Broken gasket, that will do it. That's one of those things I consider for replacing just to be sure when something is unused. My espresso machine has been in my storage locker for several years, I think it'll need an overhaul when I bring it out. (I don't drink espresso much)

ginny
it was so funny because I never thought of the darn gasket. just never entered my mind; I spent an hour fooling around with the grind. talk about being a dead head.

-g

Roflmao at my own ineptness.

Jump to Forum: