Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: sheridansparks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Chaff galore
John Despres
Hey, Barrie, what is the Roastmaster software you speak of? I've never heard of it.

That may be why I've never addressed it here.

Do share! And start a new thread about it.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Barrie

John Despres wrote:

Hey, Barrie, what is the Roastmaster software you speak of? I've never heard of it.

John

I will do as you ask, John. Either tonight or tomorrow. It is a relational database program written for Mac operating systems, and therefore useful on gadgets such as iPads, iPods and iPhones. I am a long-time PC man myself (used to be a bit of a programmer, build my own computers etc) but I have taken over my wife's iPad so as to be able to use this software along with my coffee-roasting experience.
[url]
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roastmaster/id375526217?mt=8[/url]

Edited by John Despres on 05/17/2012 6:30 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

atalanta

Barrie wrote:

John Despres wrote:

John

I will do as you ask, John. Either tonight or tomorrow. It is a relational database program written for Mac operating systems, and therefore useful on gadgets such as iPads, iPods and iPhones. I am a long-time PC man myself (used to be a bit of a programmer, build my own computers etc) but I have taken over my wife's iPad so as to be able to use this software along with my coffee-roasting experience.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roastmaster/id375526217?mt=8

I'm looking forward for that thread! I've been curious about that program. I've been debating getting that or writing my own (I'm a database developer).

Barrie
I have a background in ralational database programming going back to dBase and Clipper half a lifetime ago. ;)
I have started the thread, acknowledging my lack of experience with the software but in the hope that others will provide more useful observations.
As with so many of these things where the code is not available (and I would not know what to do with it in the Mac environment anyway), there is a level of frustration when looking at a pretty data input form that does not quite conform to one's full needs, or a report format that has the same problem. Given that generic issue, this looks as though it will go a long way to satisfy my admittedly not-very-sophisticated needs. At $10 a crack it is worth a look, I would say.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie

Barrie wrote:

gene wrote:

(...)
What seems to help sometimes is to keep my wintertime 3" dryer vent attached. It seems to wick more air thru as I lean it up wall on back patio during summer roasting. Thankfully the new chaff collector is turned upwards.
I left it off one day and the machine almost choked with chaff.
Welcome to the show!

I do not know if you saw my venting arrangement in another thread? It goes to the stovetop exhaust box, and is definitely not going upwards. The excessive-chaff and no-chaff roasts have all been with the same hookup.
[img][/img]

I posted two similar messages because I wanted to improve the poor image in this one, but did not know how to delete it once posted. A kind administrator must have removed one but, unfortunately, it was the one with the clear image. :(
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

gene
Barrie wrote:
"I do not know if you saw my venting arrangement in another thread? It goes to the stovetop exhaust box, and is definitely not going upwards. The excessive-chaff and no-chaff roasts have all been with the same hookup."
[img][/img]

It apprears we have the same vent. I lopped a couple feet off mine since I used to use it in front of window in laundry room in winter. Now, at 32 degrees I roast outside in a packing box. It prob makes no diff whether horiz or vert on wicking action. But after 600 roasts without and 400+ with there is a definite difference.
A few of my varieties have been around for several years and I have singled them out to hurry and use up....some of these are very chaffy and the wiper in the outflow labors. In the past have roasted up to 300 G's. More careful now to limit these roasts to 226.

Keep up the great work. I have to devour and savor your new thread for a few months......Darn, and I swore I would never get a Mac operating system! Its a long time til Christmas for me.

hazbean
In my experience also there is a lot of variation in chaff levels -- one of the reasons for I adopted a standard batch size of 230g, which appeared safe for all my beans.

I did have an interesting experience once when accidentally roasting 300g of a very chaffy beans. The gate blocked up completely, restricting airflow to the main sensor and giving a temp reading lower than it really was, so the chamber kept getting hotter, raising thoughts of possible ignition. I was very careful after that.

Normally of course the gate clears up as the roast progresses, occasionally with a little chaff left behind but nothing to worry about.

Jump to Forum: