Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: sheridansparks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Chaff galore
Barrie
I just roasted a couple of batches of 226g of SM #20 Gneiss Shot Blend and ended up with chaff galore in the beans.
The container had been cleaned before each roast and the profile was

Pre-heat to 300.
482 to the end.
1st crack at 11 min and stop and remove container at 12:30, before 2C obvious.

At the end of the roast, it was noticeable with both batches that there was quite a bit of charred chaff jammed in the slots at the exit port of the container, although the little gate had been swinging to and fro during the roast as it should. This looked like the cause of the chaff retained in the container.
Otherwise, the beans looked fine at about FC+.
I had not seen this with the first few roasts that I ran. Was it the beans? Did I do something to cause this?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

jkoll42
It was likely the beans. Different beans and processing types can produce dramatically different levels of chaff. Some produce barely any and others give you a chaff shower!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Barrie

jkoll42 wrote:

It was likely the beans. Different beans and processing types can produce dramatically different levels of chaff. Some produce barely any and others give you a chaff shower!

Agreed. The aspect that is new to me, as a new GC owner, is the jamming up of the exit slots from the container. Is that something commonly seen with this roaster?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

troposcuba
I have noticed that with some roasts right as you start to get chaff coming off the beans. But it seems that usually as the roast progresses, the swinging door breaks it up and it goes out the vent. Only really light roasts seem to leave some there so far for me.
Sean

coffee queen
Barrie:

don't you have the large chaff holder on that Gene Cafe?
If not I have one I am sure.

cqShock

John Despres
It's true some coffee produces more chaff than others and some coffee releases it much quicker, seemingly all at once. There will be times when it clogs the exit vents of the drum, so be careful and keep an eye on things.

Make a note and roast a little less next time.

CQ, it's not so much a matter of the chaff collector as the chaff getting out of the drum.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Barrie

coffee queen wrote:

Barrie:

don't you have the large chaff holder on that Gene Cafe?
If not I have one I am sure.

cqShock

I do have the large chaff-collector. I think they come standard these days (my GC arrived last Friday). The problem here was that much of the chaff never got the chance to get there. I am just hoping I don't have a problem with my fan system (too weak an air flow)?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie

John Despres wrote:

It's true some coffee produces more chaff than others and some coffee releases it much quicker, seemingly all at once. There will be times when it clogs the exit vents of the drum, so be careful and keep an eye on things.

Make a note and roast a little less next time.

CQ, it's not so much a matter of the chaff collector as the chaff getting out of the drum.

John

Why do I find you very encouraging, John (perhaps because you are? ;)). I am not terribly impressed with these beans anyway and, as SM only had the blend as a short-term item, I probably do not have to worry. I sure will be watching carefully with whatever I roast next.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

John Despres
Kind words. Thank you, Barrie.

There's one rule: Have FUN!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jkoll42

I am not terribly impressed with these beans anyway and, as SM only had the blend as a short-term item, I probably do not have to worry. I sure will be watching carefully with whatever I roast next.

Think of the workshop blends as 'experimental'. They are not necessarily a mainstream blend but Tom playing with blends for something interesting. Sort of like when they stock a uniquely processed bean than may not be th absolute best, but interesting to try. Monkey, New Classic, and Liquid Amber are standards and may be closer to what you are used to in an espresso blend. As John said, have fun and explore them all!

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Barrie
I am a relatively recent arrival on the roasting scene but I have already enjoyed many of the SM beans including the ones you mention. I particularly like Liquid Amber taken to FC+ to Vienna. So far, I have not hit an SO bean that has caught my attention but I have a long way to go on this road. Maybe the Guat. Huehuetenango Finca La Maravilla will be one to which I will return.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ginny
John is a wonderful soul Barrie. always calm, cool and collected, just like me.

hahaha

the workshop espresso beans that Tom is doing are very good, at least the ones I have had; th seem to be getting softer.

-g

JETROASTER
It's the hat. Good guys always wear white hats. .....a smile doesn't hurt either. -Scott

gene
See Barrie, we're all very protective of John. My wife is in love with him, what can I say?

I couldn't have made it several years ago when I started with the GC without John. I aggravated the hell out of him with silly questions but he never wavered and was always cool, calm and collected as Ginny says.

You are correct. Some beans have lots more chaff than others. Thats why I empty the chaff collector and clean inlet and exit vents between roasts sometimes, depending.

What seems to help sometimes is to keep my wintertime 3" dryer vent attached. It seems to wick more air thru as I lean it up wall on back patio during summer roasting. Thankfully the new chaff collector is turned upwards.
I left it off one day and the machine almost choked with chaff.
Welcome to the show!

Barrie
I certainly feel welcome, and the information, patience, and goodwill is tremendous. Reading back on the GC comments has been very useful and provided plenty of factors to play with. I am interested that there are not more comments on the Roastmaster software which I am learning to use alongside the new roaster. This whole thing reminds me of making martinis - many convinced they have just the perfect ingredients and touch, others still struggling but enjoying the process. :P

I do have a question, unrelated to chaff. When users talk about a pre-heat period at, say, 300, what do they do? Run the GC without any beans, then do an emergency stop, fill the hot container, put it back and start again?
Edited by Barrie on 05/16/2012 10:35 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie

gene wrote:

(...)
What seems to help sometimes is to keep my wintertime 3" dryer vent attached. It seems to wick more air thru as I lean it up wall on back patio during summer roasting. Thankfully the new chaff collector is turned upwards.
I left it off one day and the machine almost choked with chaff.
Welcome to the show!

I do not know if you saw my venting arrangement in another thread? It goes to the stovetop exhaust box, and is definitely not going upwards. The excessive-chaff and no-chaff roasts have all been with the same hookup.
[img][/img]
Barrie attached the following image:
gcexhaust.jpg

Barrie (San Diego, CA)

troposcuba
yeah, the pre heat is just running the machine to 375 or 400 (depending on the bean and past results) for 6 min or so. E-stop, and load up the beans, then re-start the machine and get to roasting (or drying phase actually). the idea is just to heat the glass and metal up. I did struggle with slight tipping defects in some of my roasts for a while. Not bad, but not perfect either. I dropped the pre-heat temp a bit and brought on the heat during the roast a little more slowly and seem to have cured that problem for the most part.
Sean

Barrie

troposcuba wrote:

yeah, the pre heat is just running the machine to 375 or 400 (depending on the bean and past results) for 6 min or so. E-stop, and load up the beans, then re-start the machine and get to roasting (or drying phase actually). the idea is just to heat the glass and metal up. I did struggle with slight tipping defects in some of my roasts for a while. Not bad, but not perfect either. I dropped the pre-heat temp a bit and brought on the heat during the roast a little more slowly and seem to have cured that problem for the most part.

Thanks, Sean. I saw your comments about tipping somewhere else on this or the SM forum.
Apologies to all for the double post above. The first one had a poor resolution photo but I did not know how to replace/erase it.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

John Despres
This is one of the few places I'm a nice guy...

I love the questions people ask; they make me think and perhaps I'll become a better roaster.

My preheat is 300F until the temp reaches 300F. I don't run it for any longer than that because I find it boring to watch the empty drum. I'll give a longer pre-heat like Sean does and see what (if any) difference it makes.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Barrie
I emailed Tim, at Fresh Bean, and he replied almost immediately. He seems to think (as do others here) that it was an issue of a batch of particularly dry, chaffy beans, and the quantity I had used (226g). As it was a blend of unstated composition, I did not see it coming. :-) I don't have the experience to take a bean in the hand and recognize its chaff-producing potential.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Jump to Forum: