topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
Offline
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
Offline
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
Offline
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
renatoa

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: sheridansparks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Variac - how important?
Barrie
My new GC arrived today and I have done a few trial runs. The first was without any beans and it took 8.5 min. to reach 482. Concerned, I measured line voltage (usually 120) during cooling (119) and during a roast (118).
I roasted two 226g loads of beans and the following is a summary.
Both were set at 482 at the start and reduced to 451 at 1C.

SM Guat. Hue. Finca La Maravilla, aiming at FC+.
1C at 12.5 min. 2C at 15.0, and cooled immediately with GC cooling (wanted to see what happened). Unfortunately, I have not discovered how to attach an image so cannot show the beans (won't take a 154kb jpg image), but they do not look as though they have reached FC+.

SM Liquid Amber Espresso Blend.
1C at 13 min., 2C at 14.5, and cooled about 30 sec into 2C. I was aiming for Vienna but probably only reached FC+.


I imagine that the potential problem with a too-long roast time would be baked beans with less flavor? Do I need to invest in a Variac? They seem very expensive, and I would sure like to avoid it after having sprung for this splendid GC which was expensive compared with my SR500. They are also obtrusively bulky! :(
Barrie attached the following image:
barrie1954.jpg

Edited by ginny on 05/13/2012 11:00 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
ginny
Barrie:

select the image icon, 7 over from left, browse for your image, select ok on ypur computer. image will not shop up until posted.

or go here:

[url]http://forum.homeroasters.org/faq.php?cat_id=7
[/url]


-g
 
Barrie
Great, but a 154Kb file results in this message:

C:\fakepath\CIMG1954.JPG

and I just cannot post it.
There must be something simple that I am doing wrong?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
JackH
Hi Barrie,
Make sure you are using Post Reply and not Quick Reply. Quick reply does not have the attach file box for posting photos. You will see an attachment box and a browse button to locate the photo's file on your computer.

I really don't think you will need a Variac for the GC. Most of us use a Variac to control the heater voltage separate from the rest of the roaster. It seems like you have a good voltage level. I am not familiar with the GC roaster. Are you able to pre-heat the roaster to say 300F then add the beans?

--Jack
 
ginny
no spaces or other characters in name and it should work.

send me the photo:

[email protected]

ginnyGrin
Edited by ginny on 05/13/2012 12:36 PM
 
JackH
The "Post Reply" button is at the bottom of the newest post next to the "New Thread" button.
 
Barrie

Quote

JackH wrote:

Hi Barrie,
Make sure you are using Post Reply and not Quick Reply. Quick reply does not have the attach file box for posting photos. You will see an attachment box and a browse button to locate the photo's file on your computer.

I really don't think you will need a Variac for the GC. Most of us use a Variac to control the heater voltage separate from the rest of the roaster. It seems like you have a good voltage level. I am not familiar with the GC roaster. Are you able to pre-heat the roaster to say 300F then add the beans?

--Jack

I have not been able to solve the bean photo problem but, as for the preheating, I can certainly do that. My question is: "Why would I want to?"
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
JackH
You were talking about too long a roast time. If I did not pre-heat my setup my roast time would be much longer. Maybe it does not matter as much for the GC. Just thought I would throw an idea out.
 
oldgearhead
The GC has a glass RC, simiiar to the Nesco and hundreds of home-built fluid-bed roasters. The roasts are always a few minutes quicker when the glass is pre-heated to an outside surface temp of 300F...
No oil on my beans...
 
Barrie

Quote

ginny wrote:

no spaces or other characters in name and i should work.

send me the photo:

[email protected]

ginnyGrin

Although Ginny has very kindly been hand-holding way and beyond the call, with private emails, and has solved my problem with the photo, I thought I would 'fess up in public. I was trying to see it in the preview and, when it did not appear, did not go any further, assuming that I must be making a mistake. This is clearly stated in the FAQ piece but I mis-read it. The strange path for the image at the bottom of the attachment section also confused me. Now I know how to do it. There is still a question, though. If I do not like the photo or what I have said about it, how do I edit the message? When I click on the edit button at the bottom right, nothing happens.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
John Despres

Quote

Barrie wrote:

My new GC arrived today and I have done a few trial runs. The first was without any beans and it took 8.5 min. to reach 482. Concerned, I measured line voltage (usually 120) during cooling (119) and during a roast (118).
I roasted two 226g loads of beans and the following is a summary.
Both were set at 482 at the start and reduced to 451 at 1C.

SM Guat. Hue. Finca La Maravilla, aiming at FC+.
1C at 12.5 min. 2C at 15.0, and cooled immediately with GC cooling (wanted to see what happened). Unfortunately, I have not discovered how to attach an image so cannot show the beans (won't take a 154kb jpg image), but they do not look as though they have reached FC+.

SM Liquid Amber Espresso Blend.
1C at 13 min., 2C at 14.5, and cooled about 30 sec into 2C. I was aiming for Vienna but probably only reached FC+.


I imagine that the potential problem with a too-long roast time would be baked beans with less flavor? Do I need to invest in a Variac? They seem very expensive, and I would sure like to avoid it after having sprung for this splendid GC which was expensive compared with my SR500. They are also obtrusively bulky! :(


Hi, Barrie.

Your times are right in line with mine without the variac. With the variac, I can speed things up.

Ill make sure I'm at 120 volts during the heating cycle. The faster roasts mean I'm getting more heat to the beans quicker and I now have more control.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong or out of line with your time.

If the coffee tastes good, why change anything? But then, more play with more toys may lead you to better coffee. It all depends on your cup.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.
 
www.sceneitallproductions.com
Army Coffee
I have wondered the same thing about a variac and also concerned about the $$$. Reading your post, I am considering changing the profile I have been using and experimenting with what you are doing.

I use a drying stage at the beginning of my profile. I always preheat, and then run the Beans at 320 for 4 minutes. I then Crank it to 482 until 1st Crack and then Down to 452 until I Emergency Dump. Most Coffee gets to Verge/Start of 2nd Crack at 17:00.

Power on my Kill-o-Watt Shows usually in the 119-121 Range. This weekend it dipped into 117-118 as well. Not sure if this is effecting things as My Coffee Has Tasted Great...

A 20 AMP Variac is $$$. Have not been able to find one at what I would consider a reasonable price yet and I am not sure the Juice is worth the Squeeze. Would love to hear someone who has been on both sides of this fence to tell us it it really is worth it.

Happy Roasting
Drew
:)
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67
 
Barrie

Quote

John Despres wrote:

Quote

Barrie wrote:

My new GC arrived today and I have done a few trial runs. The first was without any beans and it took 8.5 min. to reach 482. Concerned, I measured line voltage (usually 120) during cooling (119) and during a roast (118).
I roasted two 226g loads of beans and the following is a summary.
Both were set at 482 at the start and reduced to 451 at 1C.

SM Guat. Hue. Finca La Maravilla, aiming at FC+.
1C at 12.5 min. 2C at 15.0, and cooled immediately with GC cooling (wanted to see what happened). Unfortunately, I have not discovered how to attach an image so cannot show the beans (won't take a 154kb jpg image), but they do not look as though they have reached FC+.

SM Liquid Amber Espresso Blend.
1C at 13 min., 2C at 14.5, and cooled about 30 sec into 2C. I was aiming for Vienna but probably only reached FC+.


I imagine that the potential problem with a too-long roast time would be baked beans with less flavor? Do I need to invest in a Variac? They seem very expensive, and I would sure like to avoid it after having sprung for this splendid GC which was expensive compared with my SR500. They are also obtrusively bulky! :(


Hi, Barrie.

Your times are right in line with mine without the variac. With the variac, I can speed things up.

Ill make sure I'm at 120 volts during the heating cycle. The faster roasts mean I'm getting more heat to the beans quicker and I now have more control.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong or out of line with your time.

If the coffee tastes good, why change anything? But then, more play with more toys may lead you to better coffee. It all depends on your cup.

John

Thanks for the encouragement, John. I have been reading past posts and you are obviously very experienced with the GC. I started not so long ago with a Fresh Roast SR500 and learned to begin a roast with a low temperature (and fast fan) to get the beans dry and moving. The 'moving' is clearly not an issue with the GC and the drying is certainly going to occur in the many minutes to 1C. Speeding that up a little seems like a good idea and so do not plan to start at low temps until I have a bit more experience.
The reverse is true once one reaches 1C and, here, slowing down a bit would help stage-of-roast recognition? You are absolutely right about the taste issue, of course; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? The Variac is something I will put on the back burner for just now.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
Barrie

Quote

Army Coffee wrote:

I have wondered the same thing about a variac and also concerned about the $$$. Reading your post, I am considering changing the profile I have been using and experimenting with what you are doing.

I use a drying stage at the beginning of my profile. I always preheat, and then run the Beans at 320 for 4 minutes. I then Crank it to 482 until 1st Crack and then Down to 452 until I Emergency Dump. Most Coffee gets to Verge/Start of 2nd Crack at 17:00.

Power on my Kill-o-Watt Shows usually in the 119-121 Range. This weekend it dipped into 117-118 as well. Not sure if this is effecting things as My Coffee Has Tasted Great...

A 20 AMP Variac is $$$. Have not been able to find one at what I would consider a reasonable price yet and I am not sure the Juice is worth the Squeeze. Would love to hear someone who has been on both sides of this fence to tell us it it really is worth it.

Happy Roasting
Drew
:)

Drew,
I ran a trial run with a bunch of Mexican beans, in which I took the whole thing all the way to charcoal, just to see how it all played out. Here is the description on the SM forum:
http://www.sweetmariascoffee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2572&start=10

Keep in touch. I have enjoyed reading your posts and need to learn all I can at this stage. I am going to go next to a pre-roast warming at 300, then at 482 to 1C, followed with 451 the rest of the way. I think I may also try a bail-out for external cooling when the beans reach the target stage.
Edited by Barrie on 05/14/2012 12:08 PM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Important Announcement Regarding Facebook Login Site Announcements 1 10/24/2019 3:39 AM
IMPORTANT INFORMTION Green Coffee 7 02/11/2015 4:28 PM
Using a variac with an Artisan-controlled HT? HotTop Roaster 23 05/26/2014 7:46 AM
NEW KRM VARIAC SOLD JAVA TRADING COMPANY 5 05/18/2014 6:28 PM
Over 100% power on Hottop - Variac - soft start HotTop Roaster 1 03/24/2014 4:29 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion copyright © 2002 - 2020 by Nick Jones.
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3.
Designed with by NetriX