Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
blumes

Total Members: 6,581
Newest Member: CSCCA
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Wonder if I'm Baking
jkoll42
Well, the beans have landed. First let me just say that I love this forum - there is no way any of this troubleshooting would have been possible without Ginny.

Second, I am fairly certain that no beans have traveled further between HRO members. The two samples arrived safe and sound after an 8400 mile journey.

One sample is from the 18 minute roast and the other from the shorter profile roast. I figured if either was going to give me trouble it would be the 18 min one so I did a quick test with that. I will give some comments on the two roasts head to head when I have some time this weekend.

Roast was definitely into 2C with oil on the beans but not a complete oil slick. I left my grinder on the setting I was using this weekend which was a little loose since I was playing around with overdosing. I ended up dosing just short of 18grams locked and shielded my eyes from a potential gusher. There was no gusher. The shot pulled slightly fast at about 19 seconds when it first started to blonde. I will go a tiny bit tighter on the grind this weekend which is where I usually grind my beans. It tasted decent. Better than most shots at a random cafe. Definitely a lot of roast flavor but these batches were intentionally roasted dark for testing. Some taste of baking and a slightly bitter roast note for a finish.

So, in short, it's not the roast or the beans. 20 second first pull o a new bean with no adjustments and a ton of crema (that shot had settled about 30 seconds) and no gushers is a win in my book. Looks like it's an equipment issue.

Sorry for the bad pics - I just used my camera phone since I'm pressed for time.

Jon

farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7245109888_7873bcd07d_z.jpg
[

farm8.staticflickr.com/7245/7245110236_0c2ed92849_z.jpg
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

fauzi
Jon,

Wholly second your comment about Ginny and HRO... LOVE it and as a complete newbie, I actually feel quite welcome here.

Regarding the beans, just as I feared... It's something beyond the roast. And since I have been able to get good shots from other grinders on the Silvia, I am strongly suspecting the Rocky.

I have been getting good extractions from the stale coffee that I mentioned above... Well, that has been at 1 away from the zero point.. So it's wholly possible that if anything needs to be finer, the grinder just falls apart.

Spoke to the agent that supplied this to me, and he says that I should send the grinder back to him for investigation with some beans. He says that he will fix it or replace it... Worst case, I get a refurbished rocky... best case, I get a new one.. .Either case is just not appealing to me right now. But will cross that bridge when I come to it.

If, by some miracle, I get a refund or decide to just cut my losses and buy a new one, I have narrowed down to a few choices that I'm investigating... Now I don't want this to turn into a XYZ grinder is better than ABC, but I'm still going to throw my options out:

Mazzer Mini: I suspect with the 58 mm burrs, I may be making more of a horizontal shift rather than an upgrade. I'm sure build quality is superb, but is it really THAT much better than a Rocky? Would prefer the Electronic on this.

Mazzer Super Jolly: Commercial Grinder for home use provided your kitchen cabinets allow it... Well, seems ok for me from that regard. However, my hesitation is that since I single dose, will I be wasting?

Cimballi Max Hybrid: Just cause my hero Jon has one! :) And that it's a 64 mm burr set at a very reasonable price.

Please remember that we have 220v here in Pakistan so I would either do step down, or source 220-240.

To all: Thanks for the help so far... It's really nice to be here.

Jkoll42 and hazbean, a special thanks to the two of you for taking the time out to pm me and answer all the queries here! ThumbsUp

-Fauzi

John Despres
My Mazzer Mini is the king of my coffee counter. With 20 some-odd brewers (nearer to 30, I think) The MM meats the needs of every one except for Turkish coffee.

I single dose into mine every time I use it and don't find it a problem at all and the burrs are easy to replace.

Good luck!

John
Edited by John Despres on 05/31/2012 6:31 AM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
jkoll42
If you single dose, then I would not recommend the Cimballi. It is a conical/flat buyy combo and if you don't have a bean column you are going to get a lot of popcorning and it will drive you nuts. I don't single dose so it's good for me.

Both of the mazzers are good machines and are available in 220V. If you have the room I would go with the super jolly - you can remove the hopper and single dose direct into the machine. Not sure if you would consider (or even be able to find) a used SJ, but they are very popular over here since you can find many good used deals and the burrs are relatively cheap. I would imagine it would be tougher to find used over there.

Either Mazzer will serve you well and the mini is definately a step up from the Rocky.

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

fauzi
Ok guys. Thanks. Good to know. I am negotiating a refurb sj on eBay. But it's 110v. Have found a 220v mini e but for more expensive than the sj electronic. It's impossible to find these here bad not cheap flying them into the country. But the options are certainly limited.

Am sending in the rocky tomorrow. Will see what they say.

If anyone gets a lead on 220 v grinders please let me know. I wrote to mazzer directly too.. Three times... They don't seem interested in responding.

Thanks,

Fauzi

jkoll42
Not sure if this old HB thread healps at all... it's for the EU but that's cloaser to you than I am.

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/...10975.html
-Jon

ciel-007

My Mazzer Mini is the king of my coffee counter...

Same here. I have had a Mazzer Mini E for about 7 years, and it is an outstanding HD unit. I recently acquired a Baratza Vario, and am currently experimenting with it. So far, it seems to be an exceptional bang for the buck. Given its popularity worldwide, it should be readily available in 220-240 VAC. Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

fauzi
All,

I realize this is taking a slight detour away from home roasting and I understand a mod if they want to close this topic... But since everyone was very helpful, just wanted to post an update.

I've been looking high and low online for a replacement grinder. I'm going to sen the rocky into the agent's office shortly, but my mind is more or less made up to change it. And the options in looking ino have been mentioned above.

However, another attractive offer has come ino being. A friend of mine happens o be the agent or La Spaziale and he is offering a Top Grinder to me for an ok price. The TG is basically a stepped, dosered macap m4. I also can source the stepless mod from Chris' and get local support.

Just curious about how the local support for the m4 improves this option wrt the mazzer I mentioned earlier.

Fauzi

hazbean
IMHO, local support is always a good thing. If it really is a rebadged M4, then it is a very good grinder. From reports here the stepped version of the M4 works well and you may not need to make it stepless.

jkoll42
I don't think that local support is as crucial for a grinder as an espresso machine but.... if you have two comparable grinders and one has local support, it's a winner. Realistically the M4 is comparable to the mazzer. The doser is somewhat better designed, burr size is idential and the burr carrier is very solid. I actually think the on/off switch of the M4 is easier than the timer switch of the mini, but thats an individual opinion.

To further confuse things, how much more would you be looking at for an Astro 8? Burrs go up to 65mm and it compares to a super jolly.
-Jon

fauzi
All,

Thanks for all the advice...

So, um, I pulled the trigger and the Top Grinder (Macap M4) was delivered last night...

Will post pictures, as it was late and I messed around a bit with it before falling asleep.

Initial impressions:

- Excellent build quality: The doser lever feels solid. The burr adjustment feels robust. All in all, it feels less of a "toy" than Mr. Rocky.

- I don't know if it's a La Spaziale issue, a Macap issue, or my agent's fault, but there was no manual in the box.

- Feels bigger and heavier than the Rocky, but take the hopper off, and it's almost exactly the same size. Weight wise, not sure, but TG feels slightly heavier.

I brought the burrs to touch and found the zero point. However, I did that without beans in the hopper, and the agent says that there must be beans in the hopper. As a result, I could not get any grinds out of the chute. The beans were just circling around in the void within the burrs' diameter.

That's when I was just too exhausted. I imagine the burrs are too close for the beans to go in between them... At least that is what the agent says. Or it could be my good luck with grinders! Doh! Will find out later today.

Shall keep you posted, though the new grinder is somewhat of less interest on a Home Roasting site.

Thanks,

Fauzi

hazbean
That's good news, seems that you have a good grinder.

We have a growing collection of hand grinders so quite often go through the exercise of setting a grinder from scratch.

What I usually do is find the point where the burrs are touching, with a hand grinder you basically can't move it at that point. The I back off to a point where there is noticeable resistance but free movement. If the grinder burrs are well aligned (many aren't, hand grinders are pretty variable :( ), this will probably be an espresso grind. After that, it's trial and error to find the right point, keep backing off a bit at a time.

I suggest that you open it up until you can get beans through it, then compare the coarseness of the grind with something from yout Rocky. That way, you can use just a few beans at a time until you are in the ball park. Then fine tune from there.

You can search for a manual online, but you'll have to go through this process anyway, and many grinders have "zero points" that vary between units (eg the Mini E).

The reason for having beans in it while you change coarseness is most applicable whe going from coarse to fine, the other way round doesn't matter. Coarser fragments can get stuck between the burrs as you bring them closer together.

jkoll42
Fauzi - congratulation on the new grinder! What you did was right, you set the zero point with no beans in so you can hear when the burrs touch. Just adjust to a coarser grind - the burrs are so close together that they probably aren't letting any beans in.
-Jon

ciel-007

fauzi wrote:

... I pulled the trigger and the Top Grinder (Macap M4) was delivered last night...

I have had a Mazzer Mini E for many years and it has worked flawlessly. However, that Macap M4 sure looks SWEET. Congrats!
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

fauzi
I think I'm going to cry!

It's such a feeling of relief when you come to the end of a long drawn out problem... Which is precisely what I've come to with the Top Grinder.

16.1 grams.
4-5 clicks away from zero point
45 long, slow, drippy seconds and I still didn't have two oz!!!

This is the same Tanzanian that I had sent to Jon. That I couldn't get the rocky to do anything with.

Oh well! Guess things happen for a reason, and if it weren't for the rocky's poor performance I would never have ended up here and met you fine folks!

Thanks for all your help!

Will get to roasting tonight!!

Fauzi

jkoll42
I hate to celebrate bad equipment, but YEAH! Now just move a little coarser in the grind to get closer to 30sec and you will be in great shape.

You also should really consider chopping the portafilter to make it bottomless - any machine shop should be able to do it for you. It makes diagnosing distribution so easy and it's so much more fun to watch the extraction - especially now that you have a great grinder!

Congratulations on the end of the long road!!!
:smiley-262.gif:
-Jon

ciel-007

fauzi wrote:

16.1 grams.
4-5 clicks away from zero point
45 long, slow, drippy seconds and I still didn't have two oz!!!

I know the feeling well. Several years ago, when I first received my new Mazzer Mini E, it took me quite a bit of time...and a lot of wasted pulls, before getting the grind just right (in this case you need to go a little coarser). However, when you finally get the proper grinder setting, it will be like opening the doors to coffee heaven. Ciel

ciel-007

jkoll42 wrote:

... you also should really consider chopping the portafilter to make it bottomless - any machine shop should be able to do it for you...

If you decide to chop the bottom off the portafilter, you could always do it yourself with a metal grinder. However, I would advise against it, unless you have a spare portafilter.

I have both a regular portafilter, and a bottomless one for my E61 head. However, I seldom use the bottomless portafilter, unless I wish to impress visitors. In everyday use, I find it hard to accurately position my narrow coffee shot glass under a bottomless portafilter, since I can never accurately predict the exact spot where the crema will choose to drop when I pull the lever.

jkoll42

I have both a regular portafilter, and a bottomless one for my E61 head. However, I seldom use the bottomless portafilter, unless I wish to impress visitors. In everyday use, I find it hard to accurately position my narrow coffee shot glass under a bottomless portafilter, since I can never accurately predict the exact spot where the crema will choose to drop when I pull the lever.

That's funny - I'm the complete opposite. I have actually never used my two stock portafilters for my VBM except for mounting the blind disk :)
-Jon

ciel-007

jkoll42 wrote:

... I have actually never used my two stock portafilters for my VBM...

That VBM is one sweet looking machine.ThumbsUp
In light of your enthusiasm about the bottomless porta, perhaps I should consider getting a wider coffee shot glass.

Jump to Forum: