Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,205
Newest Member: komodo
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Melitta Aromaroast
atalanta
I'm borrowing a roaster right now. This is a Melitta Aromaroast which from what I've read was pulled from the market almost as soon as it was introduced (circa 1982). I found this on eBay several years ago and bought it for someone who I thought would be into roasting too. Nope. She just wants me to roast coffee for her LOL. I've heard you can sometimes find them in thrift stores (with their 30-year old beans still intact. I don't remember if this had the beans, I gave fresh when I gave it.)
farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/7143211025_3d05da46ae_m.jpg

Some green beans in the roaster:
farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7143211021_c521844af3_m.jpg

Starting to roast. I had to stir it until they lost enough weight for the blower to lift them on its own. There are a couple burned beans in my batch from not stirring soon enough.
farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/6997123660_907f6c6459_m.jpg

I used the roasting chamber from my (i fear dead) FR+8 to keep the beans from flying all over the place. I could get away without using the chaff collector because they're decaf so there's not much chaff.
farm6.staticflickr.com/5469/7143211063_edd081db66_m.jpg

The end of my first roasting session with this roaster. Some beans have a light sheen of oil on them. They roasted to this stage in about 5 minutes. I did crush a bean to see if it was "raw" inside and it was brown all the way through. The actual beans are darker than in the picture.
farm6.staticflickr.com/5334/7143211059_5557a0b173_m.jpg

I may grind up some later and run them through my press and see how they are. If it's "good enough" I'll take them with me to the office this week. I've been saying I'll roast some decaf since the "leaded" batch I brought in at the holidays.

ginny
hey woman:

that looks like a rally nice batch of beans. I remember something abut that machine but don't remember.

I am sure someone here has had one or will know about it.

it the oil on the darker beans?

how much can you roast, looks like a fiar amount.

-ginnyShock

allenb
Most complaints with this roaster over the years was that it was underpowered and took way too long to roast (18 to 40 min) with an accompanying baked taste. Because of this people typically blocked a portion of the air intake to increase ET.

It usually required manual stirring during the first couple of minutes like most unmodified poppers.

It's interesting that this one seems to have too much heat.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

zombie girl
could you modify the lid or use another from your pan stash to hold on to the roaster and shake it a bit while roasting.

I am sure you used to tip over and shake your Fresh Roast, yes/no?

the clone

:P
How to post Photos, Videos?
Please visit the Homeroasters Forum How To section here:

http://www.homero...?cat_id=16

atalanta
Ginny - the roast size is probably 4oz, like a lot of smaller air roasters. I just did a bunch back to back before that picture. And the oily sheen is on the darker beans.

allenb - I stirred it with a bamboo skewer. I'll find something thicker next time to stir better. Since there was little smoke, I might be able to get away with roasting inside.

iworking - No, I never shook my Fresh Roast. I would have been skeered of breaking the roasting chamber (only broke 2 in the years I used it and now they're really hard to get).

I ground some today and made a pot of coffee. This is how the grounds looked: farm8.staticflickr.com/7087/7007015978_b1d1544127_m.jpg

Smelled lovely while I ground it (burr grinder) looked nice in the press. Taste was good but a funny aftertaste. Since I didn't recognize it, I'm thinking the beans may have baked some because of they way I just dumped them into the bowl and didn't really cool them.

Starting the learning curve again LOL

allenb
The funny after taste is most likely more attributable to the quickie 5 min roast. This will often impart a dominant, underdeveloped grassy/musty note. The center of the bean lags behind the rest of it and typically does not show up in easily detectable color variances from center to outer layer.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

atalanta
My BF had some the other night (had coffee drinks) and loved it. I said it was the bourbon that took of the "odd" taste so he had some plain and said it was one of the best roasts I've done. Go figure. But I'm still going to try to get it to "slow down" some and see what happens.

However, one of the cool things about being a homeroaster is that if he likes his roast one way, and I like it another way, then that can be easily done!

atalanta
I am driking some right now. That weird taste I noticed before isn't there. I think these beans need to sit longer than just a day or two like I usually let. Someone elsewhere had mentioned that "aged" beans need to rest after roasting longer than "fresh" beans.

atalanta
Did another batch.

The switch on the front seems to affect the fan speed. So if it's closer to "off" the green beans are lofted where if it's near "roast" they're not. There's still plenty of heat. As the beans get lighter, I slid the switch toward "roast".

Time expanded to 8 minutes, about par for a hot air roaster. Haven't tried them yet, IMO it's too hot for coffee. BF doesn't care about the ambient temp.

ginny
Hi there:

sounds like it works the same way the Fresh Roast does.

tons-o-control if you can play with the fan.

coke

atalanta
Never really played with the fan from my FR, just "set it and forget it" LOL I have learned that is NOT the way to go (especially with all the roaster fire stories I've read).

I'm looking forward to learning all about my new roaster and moving to another type of roaster.

ginny
guess we will see you the Hot Top forum now; maybe if you get it hot enough
you can fry and egg ontop...

hahahha

:smiley-837.gif:

Jump to Forum: