Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Tryouts on my new GC
ciel-007
I received my new Gene Café a couple of days ago, and am very impressed with it so far. The unit is a bit larger and noisier than I was expecting, but the build quality seems second to none. I love the large chaff collector, the independent temperature and time controls, and the exceptional view it offers of my roasting beans. Cool !
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

troposcuba
Another GC brother. Enjoy it. I love mine. Best tip I can give ya is keep detailed logs of your roasts. it will help greatly in attempting to repeat good results and avoiding the repeat of bad ones.
Sean

ciel-007

troposcuba wrote:

... Best tip I can give ya is keep detailed logs of your roasts...

Thanks bro ! I have been taking lots of notes on weights, temperatures, colors, timing and cracking… a great help in avoiding those bad outcomes. Because of the noise level of the GC, I am using a stethoscope to monitor cracking. In order to more accurately judge the bean color in the final stages of the roasting process, I hold a sample of beans (Full City Roast) next to the GC as the drum is turning. Gotta LOVE the GC’s ingenious transparent drum !
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Barrie

troposcuba wrote:

Another GC brother. Enjoy it. I love mine. Best tip I can give ya is keep detailed logs of your roasts. it will help greatly in attempting to repeat good results and avoiding the repeat of bad ones.

Sean, my new GC arrives on Friday. To date I have been using a Fresh Roast and look forward to the new unit. I have lots of FR records but is there a template for record-keeping for the GC available?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ciel-007

I have lots of FR records but is there a template for record-keeping for the GC available?

Hi Barrie, attached is an example of one of the logs that I created for my GC using Excel.
The top portion of the table helps me document ambient temperature, outlet voltage variations (before & after powering GC), weight of beans (before & after), and the quantity of different coffee beans (when pre-blending).
The next part of the table documents my observations during drying and roasting of the green beans. I like to document my observations as the timer on the GC is counting down. This particular log shows an especially long drying period because I happen to have a pre-roasting blend of 4 SO green beans. There is plenty of room in the table to note changes made along the way, including termination of the roast before the GC timer reaches "0".
The bottom right corner contains a few general coffee roasting guidelines (such as the internal bean temperature at which first and second cracks are expected to occur) that I find helpful to keep in mind.

Feel free to modify this template to better fit your needs, and please let me know how the log can be further improved. Happy roasting, Ciel
ciel-007 attached the following file:
0-_gene_roasting_log-ciel.zip [3.35kB / 210 Downloads]

Barrie
Great. However, I am having trouble copying your file, which only comes through as a text file of its name. If I just click on it, it opens another tab in the browser but nothing happens.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ciel-007

... I am having trouble copying your file...

Barrie, sorry to hear that. This is my first attachment at this site. Is there a more experienced member that might advise me on how to proceed with an Excel file here? Thanks, Ciel

Barrie
If that does not produce results perhaps you could send it to me as a PM attachment? Although it looks as though the mechanism foir that might have the same difficulty. :)
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ciel-007
I'm not sure if it's possible to do that either.

Barrie
A pity. I would love to find a template as I get started with the GC, rather than stumbling around for a while.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

troposcuba
Let's see if this works. I use a spreadsheet I made up real quick on excel. Beauty of that method is you can add any parameters you like on the fly. Let's see if I can attach a snapshot since it seems we can't get the file to attach.
http://spotted.stripes.com/photos/ind...size=large
Edited by John Despres on 05/09/2012 1:43 AM
Sean

troposcuba
nope. didn't work. try this... cut and paste this link into your address bar:

Edited by John Despres on 05/09/2012 1:41 AM
Sean

fauzi
Just a quick tip for the iOS users... Great app called RoastMaster available in the app store.

I have about 50 odd roasts in my database, but has a lot of cool features, including entering all sorts of roasting profiles in it...

... wait, I just realized... you people are all waaaaay ahead of me, so you probably already know about this app... Just wanted to put it out there for the ones that don't.

Enjoy your new GC, brother... LOVE mine!

-Fauzi

Barrie

troposcuba wrote:

Let's see if this works. I use a spreadsheet I made up real quick on excel. Beauty of that method is you can add any parameters you like on the fly. Let's see if I can attach a snapshot since it seems we can't get the file to attach.

I could see this just fine, and Thank You! I need to figure out exactly what I want to record but that will be after I have done a few roasts. I may well set this framework up for a start.
I am curious as to why you have times on both the horizontal and vertical axes, so to speak (rows AND columns)?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

troposcuba
the vertical times are my actual roast profile. I enter and change those on the fly as I am roasting. the ones across the top are more of baseline type things or a quick reference. Ambient temp, supplier, EOR, 1C and 2C times etc. Not a direct time involved in the roast. That is just how my mind works and made it easier to separate the things I want to see and change without thinking about it too much during the (sometimes panicked) roasting process and the things I just wanted as a record after the fact. I just kind of threw that spreadsheet together. I was actually trying to use the "roasterthing" software, but can't seem to get the manual entry profile to show a graph after the fact. Too bad because that is a really cool bit of software. Anyway, I just threw this out there to give you an idea and show you that with a very little bit of excel work, you can make any kind of log you like.
Sean

Barrie
Very clear. I have been using Excel for my Fresh Roast records, so the concept is not new to me. Thanks for the pointers. I am surely looking forward to the arrival of my new roaster on Friday. :)
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Barrie

fauzi wrote:

Just a quick tip for the iOS users... Great app called RoastMaster available in the app store.

I have about 50 odd roasts in my database, but has a lot of cool features, including entering all sorts of roasting profiles in it...

Enjoy your new GC, brother... LOVE mine!

-Fauzi

I am one person who is not ahead of you, Fauzi. I have just downloaded the Roastmaster app for the iPad and it looks interesting, but I have still not figured out exactly how to use the Roasts component with a Gene Cafe. Do you enter temperatures "on the go" and, if so, where? By creating a new node? Any help on how to use that section would be much appreciated.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Jump to Forum: