Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
CK

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Most Hideous Roaster?
Lawnmowerman
Scott, very impressed withyour submission. What sort of yeilds could it do? Can you describe it further? Have most of the parts to build something similar and your post has given me a little glimpse of what it might resemble.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

JETROASTER
This was bought directly from Sivetz Coffee Inc.
The purchase included the heatgun, RC and a candy thermometer.
I added the cake-mould and screens to catch chaff.
The poor thing has been molested over the years for various experiments.

It started out at 2.5 ounces. I eventually got it up to 4oz by repositioning the blower.

It really is just a heatgun with an RC constructed of a funnel and sheet metal.
Low-tech, effective.
I was hooked! -Scott

allenb
OK folks, we've either got many here at HRO who are too embarrassed to display their extremely ugly build or worse, are too lazy to break out the camera and show the world.:naughty:

Come-on, lets get it in gear and pull that ugly thing out of the closet!

Now, for those who've already participated, you've made a good start with some pretty ugly roasters but I know for a fact their are much more extreme examples out there just dying to be made public.

Looking forward to seeing them!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

oldgrumpus
Well, I'm a noob so maybe I'm not too late to place an entry. It's too late to get a photo today, but mine has to take some sort of prize. I'll get back to y'all...

Merged on August 22 2012 21:24:41:
Now this is hideously ugly!!

Merged on August 22 2012 21:27:35:
Sorry, still struggling a bit with posting pics.

Now THIS is hideously ugly!!
oldgrumpus attached the following image:
img_0462.jpg

Edited by oldgrumpus on 08/22/2012 4:27 PM
Espresso: Franke Ecolino
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Old fire extinguisher with a crank, over a crab cooker, now building a drum roaster.

Beaner
I don't know if the Jethro is ugly or just plain goofy but I'll throw it in there.

i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/izamal/Jethro-2a.jpg

i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/izamal/Jethro-2d.jpg

Lawnmowerman
It would be very difficult to objectively judge any of these entries if this were an actual competition. Seems that we are our own worst critics. Both of these most recent submissions are probably good candidates. But who wants to say the other fellas roaster is ugly? That wouldnt be polite. I agree with John. Whos judging? Old Grumpus: is that a drum roaster? Very impressive. Beaner: I see the Jethro has evolved considerably. A very busy setup. One thing is sure. We love our ugly roasters.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

oldgrumpus
Yeah, it's a drum. t's actually an old fire exthinguisher. I've ruined too many loads of beans so now it's officially retired. woohoo
Espresso: Franke Ecolino
Grinder: Macap M4
Roaster: Old fire extinguisher with a crank, over a crab cooker, now building a drum roaster.

RonN
I thought I'd share a pic of my old coffee roaster that I'm upgrading at the moment. Bolting a 2nd fan to the side of my poppery II and sealing the case let me roast somewhat less than a 1/2 pound.
ps: the bare wires are 24v.
RonN attached the following image:
coffeeroastermini2.jpg

allenb
Hi Ron, you're not going to be winning most hideous as there's a lot of tough competition here unless we rate the lack of contained wiring.

But, I'll bet there's many here at HRO, including myself, who would really like to hear more about your air boosted popper as the lack of bean movement at the beginning of a roast is a common problem with the poppers.

If you wouldn't mind, please post this interesting popper mod in a new thread under the popper forums and let us know how you did this!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: