Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
any FAEMA Users out there??
dparham
Just got my Faema Compact up and running! wow!! she is a workhorse! s:1 I think the boiler needs a little cleaning though.. the hot water tap reveils specs of something... Im running her through mmy flowjet from a 5gallon carboy or natural spring water ... NICE! ;-)

Dennis Parham
s:4

http://www.lonepalmroasters.com
PaulM
Congratulations! I use a Faema and love it, especially how the preinfusion works.

Paul

dparham
kewl!! mine is a 1990 COMPACT it really is a looker! but not without its problems.. I went through an entire restoration.. the seller was really a scam artist from ebay saying it works perfectly.. then it shows up with a ruptured tank and lower thermosiphon tube ( had to have made in italy...) then had a radiator shop re-braze the tank and pressure test it.. saved me about 900$ they charged 25$ ;-) then it started overflowing tank.. so II had to rebuild all the group valve.. now it runs like a champ!! my thermocouple rates the water temp right at 205?F but I think I might turn down the steam a little... it fluctuates just over the 205 from time to time if it sits long... which it does often...lol

Dennis Parham

http://www.lonepalmroasters.com
jimoncaffeine
I may be a new Faema Compact user... Just did an impulse buy of one in pieces. So far it looks like its all there. I need to clean it and resusitate it back to life. I don't really need another project but for $50 I just had to have it... s:6

Anyone have any manuals or pictures of the interior looks (with all the tubing connected)?

Thanks,

Jim
jimoncaffeine attached the following image:
newmachine[59].jpg

Coffee Savant
I have a Due S. Luckily it was restored and runs like a champ. I'm using a flo-jet with filtered water. I have one manul on my machine, but am still looking for more data. Like what grouphead my machine has, I beleive it is a E-91, not the typical E-61 Faema grouphead.c:4

http://pacamara-peaberry.blogspot.com/
Mike
Coffee Savant,

If you haven't already found it there are some exploded parts views on the EPNW site at:
http://www.espressoparts.com/category....01.faema/

I've found that their stash of parts diagrams are the most usefull available (that I've found) on the web.

Mike
B)

jimoncaffeine
Whew, its been a busy summer! I hope Fall slows my life down a bit, but its not looking hopeful...

Mike is absolutely right about that site. I've bought a lot of the gaskets, o-rings valves etc for my compact projecty from them.

Also check out:
http://www.cafeparts.com

My project actually has been going far better than I'd hoped!

I did a test fit of everything on how I *thought* it should go together. Amazingly, everything important really was there - (couple of missing screws, knobs and a washer or two was all that I couldn't find). I tightened everything down, filled the boiler and put power to it. No smoke ensued... It heated up as it should, the pump engaged appropriately and I had a working machine... Next to the hard part...

I pulled everything appart for a thorough cleaning (it had sat in the condition shown in the picture for a few years in his garage - open to bugs, rodents, etc.). Soaked everything water proof in a citric acid/water bath for about half a day and it cleaned up pretty nice. He obviously had descaled it pretty well - again surprisingly. I then disassembled everything down to the last bolt and washer for more cleaning, inspection and replacement of gaskets and o-rings. I rebuilt the water distribution valve and the water and steam valves. While that was going on I treated the surface rust on the frame of the machine with por15 and then painted it with a rustoleum semi-gloss black enamel.

Once I'd re-assembled everything and re-mounted it to the frame, I turned my attention to the body panels... They are made of a polycarbonate substance called Makrolon. Unfortunately the prior owner had painted them all with a flat black plastic paint. The paint was really on there - any chip in it could not be enlarged with a fingernail. About 10 minutes worth of scrubbing with goof-off yielded a dime-sized bare plastic area. (At that rate it would be some time after humans were no longer the dominant species on the planet before I would have time to strip it down!) I figured I'd either paint over it again - not a good option since paint follows my direction about half as well as my spouse does - or figure out another way to strip it. A quick search yielded the answer - Easy-Off oven cleaner! I kid you not. The paint came off in sheets with just the smallest of effort.

I put it all together and started tuning it in. I'm very happy with my $150 (initial purchase price + parts + plumbing in to the water lines, etc.) machine!

Current project is to hook up a pid to the boiler and run it in parallel with the pressure-stat. I'm going to have the pressure-stat at a lower 'temp' than the pid is set to so that when I crack the steam valve or the water valve, it kicks the heating element on right away rather than waiting for the temp to go down enough to trigger the pid. Granted, the pressurestat is doing an ok job but its got about a 0.15 bar deadband (which is about normal for a Sirai(sp?) stat) and its kind of a pain to adjust the temp slightly for playing with different espresso blends. This mod should give slightly better boiler temp stability and an easier way to adjust the temp without suffering a loss of steaming efficiency that a pure pid route would likely cause. If either the pid or pressurestat dies, I've got built in redundancy.

Regards,

Jim

Mike
Jim,

Super neat project. It's making me think about the remainders of the old La Cimballi single group lever machine (in a pile in my garage) that I used the group head off of for a different project.

After you get it completely up and running, I'd be interested in hearing how the P-stat vs. PID boiler control works out. Of course, verything else about the project is intriqueing also.

Mike
B)

jimoncaffeine
Mike,

Its definitely working out better than I thought it would. Maybe you should free the lever from the garage! :)

Trying to work out exactly how I'm going to mount the thermocouple. I've got a surface mount j (washer style) and a couple of k's that are 6" ss probes. I could swap out the presure stat fitting directly at the top of the boiler but then I'd lose the dual function that I want to preserve. I'm not sure the surface mount will react fast enough. Any ideas spring to mind?

I've taken pictures of most of the progress but not had time to put anything together on the web yet.

Regards,

Jim

Mike
Jim,

I can't find a boiler breakdown picture for the compact. If it has the same elbow with an end plug fittings on the top and bottom of the sight glass like the larger machines have - - the lower fitting would be a perfect place to insert a probe - - by replacing the end plug with something similar to an auto-fill probe gland fitting.

Mike
B)

Mike
Jim,

OOps. I found the breakdown of the sightglass for the compact - - different animal - - the idea won't work.

Mike
B)

jimoncaffeine
Mike,

I haven't actually found a diagram of the boiler itself for the Compact. The ones I have found have all been a horizontal design for the bigger machines. I'm thinking of trying to just wedge the washer style between the boiler insulation and the boiler itself with a little thermal paste between it and the boiler. Probably won't work but its worth a try. Unfortunately there's no caps except for in the thermosyphon circuit. We'll see what happens with the washer one. My "new" (used) pid is on its way to me.

Jim

garybt3
Dennis,
it's funny that I bought your Livia 90S, and you go out and get a deal on a Faema Compact. And now I got a deal on a Faema S-87-2 and am trying to get it up and running...what are we getting into next year :(

Faema pics: http://garybt3.googlepages.com/faemas...aemas-87-2

Gary ;)
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. Groucho Marx

Check out: http://garybt3.googlepages.com/home

http://garybt3.googlepages.com/home
seedlings
What's the deal with Faemas? Seems like they all come in pieces!s:8s:8s:8

...wish I had one...
CHAD

ginny
CHAD:

Look around your garage floor for pieces!

ginny

s:8s:8s:8s:8

seedlings
Are you saying I could make an espresso machine out of dog hair?

s:4 s:6 s:7

CHAD

ginny
Actually I was considering the possibility that you may have "odd" boxes-o-stuff around that you have forgotten about and could make something but you live East so you actually perhaps use your garage for cars!

ginny

still s:8s:8s:8 laughing my butt off

garybt3
Chad, just to let you know, I picked up my machine in Belton, MO at a shop where the owner decided to rebuild the machine, and had 90% of the work completed, before leaving it in a storage closet for the last 5 years!

All it cost me was about $40 in gas!

I'm looking at about $200 in parts ( new group head solenoids, mainly). Another $100 for a flojet pump, and another $100 for a commercial water softener filter and some copper tubing...

;) Gary ;)
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. Groucho Marx

seedlings
Bought my Dodge Durango in Belton last year! Small world.

CHAD

garybt3
Chad if I'd had known that you were in the area, we could have hooked up at your local favorite coffee shop. My wife and I will more than likely be visiting the KC area soon and do some Christmas shopping.
GaryB)

Jump to Forum: